Album Recommendations

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Album Recommendations

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:39 pm

This thread is for posting your Album Recommendations.

I mean, in this hobby, if there is anything worth investing your time into, it would be expanding your musical horizons.

...so, I'm just gonna post 50 albums I think everyone should listen to, if you already haven't:
  • (in no particular order, save for the first 10)

01. Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
    02. The Blues Brothers - Original Soundtrack
    03. Tool - Lateralus
    04. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    05. Opeth - Damnation, (then Blackwater Park)
    06. Infected Mushroom - BP Empire (and everything from IM)
    07. Rush - 2112
    08. Blue Man Group - Audio
    09. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    10. Cloud Cult - Light Chasers

11. Imogen Heap - i-Megaphone
    12. Annihilator - Never, Neverland
    13. Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit
    14. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
    15. Judas Priest - Metal Works
    16. Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions
    17. Death Angel - The Art Of Dying
    18. Auf der Maur - Auf der Maur
    19. Ayreon - The Human Equation
    20. Iced Earth - Horror Show
    21. Old Man's Child - Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion
    22. Buckethead - Colma
    23. Dio - Killing the Dragon
    24. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
    25. Frou Frou - Details
    26. In Flames - The Jester Race
    27. Daft Punk - Discovery
    28. Isis - Oceanic
    29. Massive Attack - Collected
    30. Metallica - Master of Puppets
    31. Zero 7 - Simple Things
    32. Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
    33. Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
    34. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    35. Radiohead - Kid A
    36. Cake - Fashion Nugget
    37. Star One - Space Metal
    38. Nightwish - Wishmaster
    39. Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
    40. Supertramp - Supertramp
    41. Ambeon - Fate Of A Dreamer
    42. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
    43. Kamelot - Poetry for the Poisoned
    44. AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip
    45. Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
    46. The Tea Party - The Edges Of Twilight
    47. Angel Dust - Of Human Bondage
    48. Blackfield - Blackfield
    49. Our Lady Peace - Naveed
    50. Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

51. OC Remix - (awesome, free video-game music remixes)
    -----------------
Important Notice: These Albums are just what *I* like. Everyone has different preferences. But be aware a lot of what you like is determined by what you have exposed yourself to; so please only recommend Albums if you truly believe you know what you are talking about. That doesn't mean you have to be a music expert or audiophile to recommend an album. But try to keep in mind that what you recommend is a fair estimate of what you truly believe. Maybe throw in a few words to describe why you recommend them too (not that I've done that here... and I don't intend to... for obvious reasons: it's too much work...). And feel free to let others know if you agree on a good recommendation. There's nothing wrong with discussing the music either, although in that case, it may be best to post the recommendation BOTH here, AND start a separate thread to discuss the Musical Artist/Album/Song/Genre Examples etc... too. :wink:

-------------------------

Some Thoughts about my List, Listening, and AMVs:
  • Yes, you'll notice it's a bit skewed towards Metal. But in a personal level, there's good reason for that: Metal is typically based around Melody, which IMO is the cornerstone of all music (and even AMVs to a certain extent). I mean, when you actually do a comparison, there are more similarities to masterful symphonic pieces through Metal than through most other forms of music :!: . It just flows. It's easy to focus on. And easy to follow --just like an AMV should be-- So, for me it just seems natural to go in that direction, though you don't have to; but that's just the way I see it. And ofc, there's a lot of non-metal on that list too...

And no, I'm not saying this is music you should put on in the background while you pass the time on the computer (though sometimes that's okay). I mean, actually dedicate some time to lay down, close your eyes, with some headphones on, reasonably loud volume, and let the music take you for an hour, or however long the album is, undisturbed.
    • For me, I tend to do this before I go to bed; and just forget. about. everything. else. in. the. world...

Now *this* is the type of stuff I wonder if people still do anymore.
    I think too many people just try to get into the hobby, when they don't know enough about music to even come up with an opinion of what they like. So they just follow what everyone else is doing; and just listen to what's popular (not that popular music is always bad, no no... it's doesn't work that way...) Yet, I'm a firm believer that in AMVs as a hobby, Music is where it should all Start. And I'm not trying to chew anyone out here... but at the same time, that's what I believe. Because once you are comfortable with music, AMVs can basically be viewed as a visual extension of it. (And yes, there's more to it than that, but hopefully everyone can understand what I'm trying to say... I mean... your song generally dictates how your AMV is going to turn out... for the most part...)
-------------------------

General Guideline for Posting Recommendations: If an album really Surprises you in some way, that is usually an indication of something to recommend.
Last edited by Phantasmagoriat on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Re: Album Recommendations

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 pm

That's a pretty great list. I'd switch out Dreaming Neon Black for This Godless Endeavor, though. I really think that's just one of the greatest thrash albums ever written. And I'd probably have Cynic's Traced In Air somewhere too.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

PotatoBaron
Org Profile

Post by PotatoBaron » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:25 am

I like the list, there are some great choices, but I wish to make one too. I will avoid retreads.

1 Foo Fighters-Wasting Light
2 Pearl Jam-Ten
3 Black Sabbath-Paranoid
4 Led Zeppelin-IV
5 AC/DC-Back in Black
6 Coheed and Cambria-Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World For Tomorrow
7 The Doors-The Doors
8 Franz Ferdinand-Franz Ferdinand
9 Incubus-Make Yourself
10 Iron Maiden-Powerslave

11 Metallica-Ride The Lightning
12 Ozzy Osbourne-Blizzard of Oz
13 The Police-Synchronicity
14 Rush-Moving Pictures
15 Rainbow-Rising
16 Van Halen-1984
17 The Who-Who's Next
18 Pink Floyd-Animals
19 Alice in Chains-Dirt
20 Dio-The Last in Line
This list being mostly to complement the prior one, I went for the throat on some of these artists. This list here is mostly for those unfamiliar with the [rock] genre, and I did pull some of the more popular artists for my list intentionally. One of the concerns I have with discussing this sort of topic is that it does lend itself to flame wars, but as the OP said, these are our opinions. My list would have the subtitle "music you should be familiar with in the rock genre" though I did sneak a few newer albums in here.
Thanks for reading!

Chemikilla
Org Profile

Post by Chemikilla » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral!

Hiro The Dragon King
Org Profile

Post by Hiro The Dragon King » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:48 pm

Let me add to your list with a list of albums from various other genres, though not completely. And to clarify, this is not a list of musical works by artists I believe to be the best, nor is it a list of albums that I believe to be any better than others. This is a simply a list of albums that I believe hold an incredible amount of artistic talent, messages worth conveying, or simply stories needed told. These are in no particular order.

Violet Journey - Orianthi (Panagaris)
-- [This blues album was constructed ENTIRELY by a girl under twenty.]
Imaginaerum - Nightwish
Pomegranate - Astronautalis
-- [Unless you happen to be a history buff, this one may take quite a bit of research.]
This Is Our Science - Astronautalis
-- [This album relates how the artist feels about his art and life to how the philosophers of the Age of Enlightenment felt about their lives and work.]
In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson
-- [The 1969 kickstart to progressive rock.]
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
-- [You need to hear the ORIGINAL version of this album. Five tracks, with the last, 'A Bit of Finger/Sleeping Village Warning', at just over fourteen minutes.]
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
-- [A hip-hop space opera. Enough said.]
The Divine Comedy - Milla (Jovovich)
-- [I'll bet that you didn't even know that she could sing, let alone play instruments, let alone instruments you've probably never heard of. And this album was created when she was a teenager.]
Odelay - Beck
A Scarity of Miracles - Jakszyk, Fripp, and Collins
Thirteenth Step - A Perfect Circle
A Thousand Suns - Linkin Park
The Wall - Pink Floyd
-- [Be cautious as to not listen too deeply to this if you are depressed, or even sad, as it will only make it worse.]
Demon Days - Gorillaz
Beethoven's Last Night: The Complete Narrated Version - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
-- [An incredibly inspired rock opera, amazingly narrated by Brian Hicks.]
Frank - Amy Winehouse
Automatic For The People - R.E.M.
Addicts And Drunks (and/or Precious Blood) - Ghosts And Vodka
Ghosts I-IV - Nine Inch Nails
Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Audioslave - Audioslave
-- [This one is best heard driving through a city late at night.]

And on the note of metal music being closely related to classical music...

Slow, Deep, And Hard - Type O Negative
-- [This may be a tad hard on the ears of some, but it's hard for to believe that Peter Steele doesn't have a background in classical music after hearing this.]

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Imaginaerum, really? Wishmaster or Century Child did a much better job. And I'm not a huge Tarja fan... I just think those albums offered a lot more musically. I agree with most of the other stuff on your list, though.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Hiro The Dragon King
Org Profile

Post by Hiro The Dragon King » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Did you read my post?
Hiro The Dragon King wrote:Let me add to your list with a list of albums from various other genres, though not completely. And to clarify, this is not a list of musical works by artists I believe to be the best, nor is it a list of albums that I believe to be any better than others.
If you want to argue, take it elsewhere.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Dang, wasn't trying to offend you. I was just wondering why Imaginaerum over the rest of their discography.

Hiro The Dragon King
Org Profile

Post by Hiro The Dragon King » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm offended by your unwillingness to read. It's clearly stated that this is not the place to debate album choices and that these aren't necessarily "the best."

I picked Imaginaerum as a recommended album. If you hadn't noticed, Wishmaster is already listed. Century Child is good and all, but it's mostly retread.

The reason I picked Imaginaerum is because it is an incredibly well constructed album that treads new territory and blends many styles. Not only that, but moreso than their other albums, Imaginaerum really drives the message home, especially with 'Song Of Myself'. On that note though, I did think that some of the tracks repeated their choruses a little past their welcome.

Return to “General Discussion”