Post by Fall_Child42 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:29 am

You forgot the easiest way to win.

Be in CDVV.

We rig all the contests you know.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Re: How to win AMV contests and alienate people

Post by JudgeHolden » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:57 am

Fall_Child42 wrote:You forgot the easiest way to win.

Be in CDVV.

We rig all the contests you know.
Yes, I know, I know .... :cry:

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:When in doubt: Ponies

Cruise control for win.
Yeah, despite Avatar being taboo years ago, Ponies is somehow exempt from the same criticism/rules by coordinators...double standards goooooo......
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:30 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:

Cruise control for win.
Yeah, despite Avatar being taboo years ago, Ponies is somehow exempt from the same criticism/rules by coordinators...double standards goooooo......

That's because Avatar videos are usually nothing but Avatar.

If you read just about any contest rules, as long as a video is a certain percentage of anime then it's allowed. My Little Pony is the hot thing right now so it makes sense for it be used quite often.
However, a shitty video with ponies just thrown in for the lulz will more than likely not do well in a contest. It's up to the editor to do a good job integrating the two obviously different sources. And if it's a good video that follows the rules, by all means, let it in.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:

Cruise control for win.

That's because Avatar videos are usually nothing but Avatar.

If you read just about any contest rules, as long as a video is a certain percentage of anime then it's allowed. My Little Pony is the hot thing right now so it makes sense for it be used quite often.
However, a shitty video with ponies just thrown in for the lulz will more than likely not do well in a contest. It's up to the editor to do a good job integrating the two obviously different sources. And if it's a good video that follows the rules, by all means, let it in.
I get that percent rules there, but at a certain point it's just an FMV and not an AMV. I figure you'll disagree, and neither of us will budge so it's pointless to continue exchange of words on this, but I feel it strays from the point of being an ANIME Music Video at a certain point. There are FMV contests for that reason.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

vincentcloud
Org Profile

Post by vincentcloud » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:14 pm

I am long time AMV watcher and went to otakon and kinda agree with meatwad. I myself and a brony(not one of those obsessed fanboys) and thought the video was good but it wasnt really anime. I mean yes it had death note but the content seemed to be 50/50. Its called an AMV which stands for ANIME MUSIC VIDEO not ANIMATION. I mean little flash or even you know maybe 5-10 seconds(if it has a point) seems okay but seriously it was mostly about ponies and death note was thrown in to make it count as anime. I know that at some other cons there are percent rules and I dont think it will get past them and if it does someone should really take a look at what the percent is. I know friends who tried to avatar and they were flat out rejected becase that is once again, Not Anime. Thats just my 2 cents, like the video again, just not anime.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:33 pm

From what I've heard, the over saturation of ponies was a problem with Otakon this year that just needs to be addressed with the con itself. I've seen very few videos with ponies being the main focus of the video this entire year.

It's nowhere near a problem with AMVs in general though.

vincentcloud
Org Profile

Post by vincentcloud » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:43 pm

I agree that there hasnt been a problem with ponies and the con should share some blame but if I see a big con like Otakon with win by using ponies it becomes a trend and then starts to cheapen amv contests as a whole.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:11 pm

vincentcloud wrote:I agree that there hasnt been a problem with ponies and the con should share some blame but if I see a big con like Otakon with win by using ponies it becomes a trend and then starts to cheapen amv contests as a whole.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are always fads that will excite con goers and create what some call "cheap" wins. I personally don't think they're cheap because the audience will vote for what the audience likes, there is no way of stopping that.

Family guy audio, blipverts, ponies, etc... They've all had their moments as being the big fad of videos and slowly but surely they filter away and are replaced with new fads for people to bitch about.

TTTHHEEE CIIIRRCCLLLEEE OF MEEEMMMEESSS.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:25 pm

AWA will probably get all the pony videos. :uhoh:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “General AMV”