AMVs 101 panel: MizuCon 2012 - Miami, FL (Help?)

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
NellyEdits
Org Profile

AMVs 101 panel: MizuCon 2012 - Miami, FL (Help?)

Post by NellyEdits » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:31 am

Hello everyone, I'll be hosting an AMV 101 panel at MizuCon in Miami, FL.
Although I'm excited, I'm very nervous as well. It's obvious that I should talk about the basics of AMV's and creating them. But when I come down to it, I'm at a blank. I guess it's because I'm so nervous. Any help? tips for hosting a panel? and what could I do to make this panel more exciting?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: AMVs 101 panel: MizuCon 2012 - Miami, FL (Help?)

Post by Scintilla » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:37 pm

NellyEdits wrote:Any help? tips for hosting a panel?
Plan, outline, rehearse, edit for time if necessary, rehearse again, smile and have fun.

Let the audience know that questions are welcome, either as you go along or in a dedicated block at the end (or both) depending on what you're more comfortable with.

If you're feeling confident with explaining your subject matter but you don't have a good idea of how experienced your audience is going to be, you may wish to prepare more topics than you have time for, then decide which ones to cover based on the vibe you get from the audience when the panel happens.
NellyEdits wrote:and what could I do to make this panel more exciting?
Show some exciting AMVs? Preferably ones that illustrate points you're trying to make.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 am

I guess this is true for any panel, but I insist on having optional material that can slide in and out of the schedule based on what comes up for questions. It's a bit more than some people are comfortable with preparing for or maintaining alone, but it's necessary. I've run panels where I have to beg for questions, and others where we had to cut people off so we could progress to the next topic. It's all about being flexible and reading your audience.

It's really helpful to tackle a panel in a group - especially ones with diverse processes, opinions, styles, etc. That way multiple people can give their take, and you can answer those specific questions that come up that you might not have any idea how to answer well otherwise.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

NellyEdits
Org Profile

Post by NellyEdits » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Thank you for both your answers, I never actually thought about it that much in depth. I will take both your answers into consideration! I do have a group, but they know nothing about editing, and very little about AMVs. They are only present for support. I'll be sure to use your tips while hosting the panel. But I also had another question, but I did not make that clear enough. What should I talk about? Obviously AMV basics. But I'm honestly at a blank. Any suggestions on my topics below?

AMVs 101:
Introduction
Talk about different genres (Screen AMVs featuring different genres)
Different types of AMVs (MEP and collaboration - screen two different videos)
Different programs (WMM, Sony Vegas, Adobe After Effects)
Downloading footage
Questions

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:22 pm

NellyEdits wrote:Downloading footage
Maybe it's my old school mentality but in our class it's call "Source Acquisition"

I'm still a big proponent of purchasing the BDs and/or DVDs like a tool.
We do however skim over other options like purchased downloads, crunchy roll, itunes, ext.
The rest is probably best left unsaid, all current legislation considered.

Also when it comes to NLEs it's probably best to just discuss some of the more popular formats, IE: Premiere/AE, Vegas, WMM and FPC. I don't think anyone uses Magix anymore but could be wrong.
Be sure to keep all discussions vague or you'll get off topic REALLY fast. Again, we skim over the options and just offer trials, price comparisons and preferred uses. Anything beyond that just becomes way too cumbersome for a 101 level discussion and in my experience is quick to turn off inexperienced editors.

just my 2¢

NellyEdits
Org Profile

Post by NellyEdits » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Haha, you seem to have a point there. I do like purchasing my own DVDs as well, but due to the lack of funds and the fact that I fail to understand on how to rip a DVD in order to edit, has lead me to that last option. I guess I'll be more cautious with that topic, if I even present it. Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind. I see what you mean, editing can become overwhelming. I'll try not to get over the top, before anything I'll look into AMV 101 panels much more.

Thanks for the help!

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:03 am

It kinda goes without saying, I thought, but actually being qualified to run a panel should be requirement number one for actually running one.
| | |

Mr Pilkington
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 pm

^ This is the best point of all. You can go up there and be like "Hi! My name is Kevin Caldwell and I'm gunna show you how to make an AMV!" And most people fall asleep.
A great way to circumvent this is by simply opening with a small, intro, show your best AMV, then just pose the question to the audience, "wasn't that awesome?! Don't you want to be as awesome as me?!" Maybe not in so many word, but you get the basic idea. Show the audience credentials, then go at it.

As for the ripping SW, open the program, give them the name of it and a source to download it, then the help file. Also, use the word "intuitive" when describing it. While not very much so, it prevents a bunch of technical questions which will drag that topic our the entire length of the panel. Just explain that the process of ripping footage is not quick at all, and can basically be a class by itself between acquisition, file space, cleaning, etc. Also spend some time learning the process before hand, you have plenty of time until the con.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:^ This is the best point of all. You can go up there and be like "Hi! My name is Kevin Caldwell and I'm gunna show you how to make an AMV!" And most people fall asleep.
A great way to circumvent this is by simply opening with a small, intro, show your best AMV, then just pose the question to the audience, "wasn't that awesome?! Don't you want to be as awesome as me?!" Maybe not in so many word, but you get the basic idea. Show the audience credentials, then go at it.
I wasn't going for that angle, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt if you did it in a way that didn't make you seem like an arrogant prick. What I meant was, you should be versed in the knowledge before trying to impart that knowledge to others as an authority - which is really what you should be if you're running a panel for anything. It's an informal lecture. If you don't know what you're talking about, you're going to confuse and discourage people and turn them off from going to panels where people that do know what they're talking about are doing things.
| | |

Mr Pilkington
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:40 am

It sounds more like an AMV theory class with a side of technical. Theory is so basic and subjective that really anyone who's watched enough AMVs could teach the class.

Return to “Anime Conventions”