Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest - (EZ Rules) DEADLINE: MAY 5

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu May 03, 2012 1:54 pm

blaku92 wrote:Questions:
1.) Why did you add "X" amount of milliseconds to the beginning of your mp3? It's been a while since I've compressed XVID Avi's with mp3 audio, but I did one recently in virtualdub and noticed the audio was out of sync compared to the Zarx .mp4/aac compression I made. I want to make sure, if I'm going to make an XVID avi for the contest, that I'm doing it the best I can, but I don't remember ever reading something in a guide that said you have to delay your mp3 audio by a certain amount of milliseconds. Is that normal or always been the case? Is there something I'm missing? I don't mind taking the time to read guides, so feel free to point me in the right direction if I missed something crucial over the years. haha.
If you are going to send an AVI, I would recommend keeping PCM audio, there is no point in compressing the audio.
blaku92 wrote:2.) And this is a question for everyone really -- is Lagarith truly visually "lossless" for HD video? I've always accepted it as one of the lossless codecs for SD footage, since it has a high bitrate and I never noticed any degradation, but for 720p and 1080p footage, wouldn't the codec's 50Mbps Bitrate possibly result in quality loss? I ask because I know in the professional industry, "Online-quality" for HD content is normally associated with bitrates of 100Mbps and above. I'd prefer to submit my entries as Lagarith AVIs if that is the guaranteed way to prevent audio sync issues. I've been frustrated at cons in the past with out of sync audio. Thanks all!
Lagarith is lossless as long as you don't allow the codec itself to convert the colorspace, so make sure that is handled before you process the encode.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:56 pm

When...did this become a codec thread? XD

Anyway, I did send off my entries on May 1st, should have arrived yesterday.... no confirmation yet. *starts to worry*

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Thu May 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:When...did this become a codec thread? XD

Anyway, I did send off my entries on May 1st, should have arrived yesterday.... no confirmation yet. *starts to worry*
Depends on where you mailed it to. If you sent to the Ventura address, there will be a long delay since it's literally a two hour drive one way for me to go there. I made a trip up there yesterday morning though, and I will be processing those entries tomorrow. My next trip up there will be next Wednesday (which will be after the deadline by then), and one final trip on the following Monday.

As for entries sent to the SPJA address, I will be grabbing more today and will also be processing those tomorrow.

If you've sent your entry and don't get an email from me by 11pm tomorrow, worry.
Last edited by XStylus on Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 pm

xstylus wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:When...did this become a codec thread? XD

Depends on where you mailed it to. If you sent to the Ventura address, there will be a long delay, though I made a trip up there yesterday morning and will be processing those entries tomorrow. As for entries sent to the SPJA address, I will be grabbing more today and will also be processing those tomorrow.

If you've sent your entry and don't get an email from me by 11pm tomorrow, worry.
Alrighty. I sent it to the new address. Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure how often to go to check the mail in the areas.

Melichan923
Org Profile

Post by Melichan923 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:05 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:The new Zarx uses L-Smash to mux the videos, which uses a different MP4 standard than previous versions that used MP4Box. That said, there shouldn't be a delay, it's very possible the delay is caused by the splitter handling the MP4 file, then when you remux, it's still off because you are most likely not using L-Smash to recontainer the new video. You could probably run the Zarx encode that is having playback delays through MP4Box and the sync then randomly start working. I can't say for sure since I don't have your particular setup to test from, but I will say this, MP4s that were created with L-Smash give dropbox playback (on the website through a web browser) a wierd problem where it shows the video sideways...simply recontainering using MP4Box eliminates this problem. Although if we bring the audio codec change in Zarx into this too, there could be delay there from the playback...all I can recommend is updating your direct show filters and file splitters and seeing if the problem goes away, as it's most likely the playback that is to blame.
I did some updating last night, and I will update the Direct Show and the file splitters tonight. I hope it works, thank you for your suggestion and help! I got a PM last night also recommending another program so I will try that as well.
Scintilla wrote:I actually listed "Matroska/MKV" above "MP4" in the list of acceptable containers for the AnimeNEXT contest this year, and yet, I think we still haven't gotten a single MKV yet. Tons of MP4s though...
I'm going to try MKV and see if it makes a difference in sync, but I have most of my MPEG-2 encoding done. I used 1080p footage from a Blu-Ray to edit and the quality looks beautiful but after converting to MPEG2 with the bitrates recommended, honestly I'm a little scared to send them as is in fear quality loss will result in deducted points even if MPEG-2 is preferred. Especially now knowing that lots of people have sent in crisp, pretty mp4s. I like to make things a bit easier for the coordinators and that's why I hate sending huuuge files or files that are not preferred. If MKV looks good sync wise and the quality is a vast improvement over the MPEG-2 files I apologize ahead of time if I cave and send those instead. :sweat: For now, I think I will stay away for MP4 for conventions, but I'll have to see if any of the above mentioned solutions work!
blaku92 wrote: Questions:
1.) Why did you add "X" amount of milliseconds to the beginning of your mp3? It's been a while since I've compressed XVID Avi's with mp3 audio, but I did one recently in virtualdub and noticed the audio was out of sync compared to the Zarx .mp4/aac compression I made. I want to make sure, if I'm going to make an XVID avi for the contest, that I'm doing it the best I can, but I don't remember ever reading something in a guide that said you have to delay your mp3 audio by a certain amount of milliseconds. Is that normal or always been the case? Is there something I'm missing? I don't mind taking the time to read guides, so feel free to point me in the right direction if I missed something crucial over the years. haha.
Don't worry, you didn't miss anything crucial. :) I only added time to the beginning of my MP3 when I noticed it was out of sync with the MP4. It was trial and error until I found the correct amount of silence that synced up enough. This could help you though in the future if your XviD/MP3 encodes are slightly out of sync. I agree with l33tmeatwad that you shouldn't compress to MP3 with XviD for a convention unless they require it. My XviD/MP3 encodes tend to be more in-sync than my MP4/AAC encodes without any tampering, but I noticed the sync was better with the orginal PCM Audio v.s. the MP3. I found something interesting in a thread once on this issue: If you load your XviD/MP3 encoded AVI into VirtualDub and then go to streams and then report, you can actually see already that the video length and audio length will be different. However, if you import a video encoded with XviD containing PCM WAV audio the length of both the audio and video are identical to the millisecond. So little difference in milliseconds can make a huge difference. Most people probably wouldn't notice a small 20 millisecond difference, but to AMV editors (and especially the creator of the video) they would notice the smallest difference in sync.
Image Image

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Thu May 03, 2012 5:37 pm

2 more days people! NO PRESSURE!!!! :awesome:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu May 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Rider4Z wrote:2 more days people! NO PRESSURE!!!! :awesome:
Spoiler :
drama

:awesome:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Thu May 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Hope I can make it on time ;;
Image ImageImage

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Thu May 03, 2012 6:28 pm

My video is still not done yet! ARGH!

PANIC MODE!!!

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Thu May 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Chiikaboom wrote:Hope I can't make it on time ;;
Fixed. :dino:
Last edited by Ryvannis on Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “AMV Contests”