Shoujocon contest results???? ne1?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
grayplague
Org Profile

Shoujocon contest results???? ne1?

Post by grayplague » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:33 pm

Does anyone know the results of the Shoujcon AMV contest???

Im rather curious......

-steve pope
/::.:.. <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... er_id=1190" target="#new"><b>my profile</b></a> ..:.::/|/::.:.. <a href="http://www.ijouhassei.com" target="#new"><b>my site</b></a> ..:.::/

Fungie½
Org Profile

I Dunno Who Won But..

Post by Fungie½ » Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:19 pm

I dunno who won but here are some small reviews of each video at the con.

Video #1. Mercury
Editor: Kirk Rende
Footage: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Song: "Blue" performed by Kirk Rende (?) *I don't think this is right, but thats what it says*

This video was full of effects, but it was still pretty enjoyable. Scott Melzer thought it was pretty good, and so did I. Just a tad too many effects. The best part of this video was where the Mercury made out of graphics started dancing. Everyone was cracking up. It was a nice starter for the contest.

Video #2. Bed Of Roses
Editor: Jennifer Grzankowski
Footage: Final Fantasy IX
Song: "Bed Of Roses" by Bon Jovi

A video that really lost my interest. I've played through most of FFIX, and seen almost all of the sequences. This video seemed to just drag on, although it did match the lyrics sometimes. An overall ok video.

Video #3. Future Girls
Editor: Josh Harmon (otaku13)
Song: "Future Girls" by Smile.dk

I saw this video at the Otakon 2002 Pre-screenings and loved it. Many people thought this video was really good, including myself. *starts singing* "Cause we move round and round in circles...round and round again." Ah, anyway, I really liked this video. It got out the magical girl in Sailormoon.

Video #4. My Name Is Arima
Editor: Hyo Moon
Footage: Kareshi Kanojyo no Jijyo
Song: "Luka" by Suzanne Vega

The only video at the con that made me cry, and by far my vote for 3rd place (on the ballad you put your vote for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd). This video was really sad, and got into the mind of Arima. I've never seen the series before but I've been working on a project to the same song and it's so powerful. I was in tears, and really hope that I can find this video on the web.

Video #5. Paranoia Rebirth
Editor: Meridith Cantoni (MeriC)
Footage: Ayashi no Ceres
Song: "A Place For My Head" by Linkin Park

This is another powerful video, getting inside Aki's side of Ayashi no Ceres, a fairly new series made by the creators of Fushigi Yuugi. I saw this video at the Otakon Pre-screenings as well, and love it. This was my vote for 2nd place.

Video #6. Where I Want To Be
Editor: Steve Pope (grayplaque)
Footage: Magic Knight Rayearth
Song: "Breathing" by Lifehouse

A sweet video, about the relationship between the boy with the green hair and the girl with the green hair (I've never seen Rayearth). It was pretty nice.

Video #7. Beliver
Editor: Kate Dooley (merrow)
Footage: Fruits Basket
Song: "I'm A Believer" by Smash Mouth

Crowd favorite. I thought it was pretty funny, but the footage wasn't that hot. I loved the video, and so did many others.

Video #8. Toy Soldiers
Editor: Farrell Lecorps
Footage: Gundam Wing
Song: "Toy Soldiers" by Markita

As soon as I saw the Cartoon Network logo, I knew it was over. I actually encouraged this person to enter into the contest, but not this video!! *sighs* Oh well, it looked really bad, but got the nice applause. Sorry Farrell.

Video #9. ...To Hell, or Wherever!
Editor: Skye Souter
Footage: Hana Yori Dango
Song: "With You" by Linkin Park

THIS VIDEO WAS MADE WITH A CAMCORDER! That is pure crapola right there. You can see the time in the left hand corner. It is so bad! The video itself was ok, but the footage, and quality, yuck!

Video #10. Utena In A Cocoon of Love
Editor: Daniel McCarthy (Fungie½) *That's me*
Footage: Shoujo Kakumei Utena for the Sega Saturn
Song: "Cocoon" by Björk

Well I should say something about my video. When alot of people look at my video info, they see the RealPlayer file, shudder, and hit the back button. I was hoping that by entering my Mpeg that people can understand that quality IS good. The crowd actually liked this video, as some were even shouting (no joke, but not as loud as when the saw Anneke's!). I don't expect this video to win, and I never did. Just wanted to show people who I really am (and how badly I need hosting).

Video #11. Yui's Choice
Editor: Sarah Figat
Footage: Fushigi Yuugi
Song: "Crawling In The Dark" by Hoobastank

This video was plagued by problems, plus a bad choice of footage. It had the same idea as Kusoyaro's video.

Video #12. Suichi's Question
Editor: Cynthia Delker (Anneke)
Footage: Various
Song: "What's This" by Danny Elfman

Straight up laughter from start to finish! She does great work, and I love this video! There was so much screaming and laughter in the room!! This was my vote for 1st place, and I believe many others too.

You can also see my Shoujocon report in the other convention forum.

I wonder who won...

MeriC
Org Profile

Post by MeriC » Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:20 pm

The results of Shoujocon, right off the presses! (I live down the road from the con so... yeah, here I be):

Honorable Mention:
"Mercury"
Editor: Kirk Rende
Song: "Blue" performed by Kirk Rende

3rd Place:
Me! Whoa, dude!
"Paranoia Rebirth"
Editor: Meri Cantoni
Footage: Ayashi no Ceres
Song: "A Place For My Head" by Linkin Park

2nd Place:
"Beliver"
Editor: Kate Dooley (merrow)
Footage: Fruits Basket
Song: "I'm A Believer" by Smash Mouth

1st Place:
"Suichi's Question"
Editor: Cynthia Delker (Anneke)
Footage: Various
Song: "What's This" by Danny Elfman

Overall, this contest was a *drastic* improvement over last year's. More to come later when I get more time to comment on the con.
New AMVs: DQCF+P (various Street Fighter) | One Guitar (BECK) | Please Don't Make Me Cry (Paradise Kiss)

Fungie½
Org Profile

Post by Fungie½ » Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:23 pm

I knew Anneke was gonna win 1st place! Congrats Anneke! Also, congrats to you Meri for 3rd place!

Yosho
Org Profile

Post by Yosho » Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:27 pm

I agree with Meri. The contest was a lot better than last year, and the videos were a lot better too! They were able to get a showing of the contest on all three days (I think) which makes it easier for the otaku who only go for one or two days. I'm not sure about the third showing on Sunday but the Friday and Saturday showings had packed rooms. This is telling me that amv's are becoming a bigger and more important event with each con!
-Brick Wall Productions

"It takes a man very confortable with his heterosexuality to have sex with another man!"
-Jeremy "Donny Gayeman" Simmons

grayplague
Org Profile

Post by grayplague » Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:08 pm

oh well.... didn't win... atleast it got shown :P
/::.:.. <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... er_id=1190" target="#new"><b>my profile</b></a> ..:.::/|/::.:.. <a href="http://www.ijouhassei.com" target="#new"><b>my site</b></a> ..:.::/

anneke
Org Profile

Oh wow....

Post by anneke » Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:09 am

I just got home. I made it home safe and sound to California, and there was only a 25 minute delay taking off, but they got us to long beach on time. Yeah!

First I miss everyone... <sniff sniff> :(

I had a really good time. <hugs everyone>

Thanks MeriC for the results. I'm glad the audience liked my video, more so I'm happy to have gotten to see it infront of an audience, so I can fix it / improve it for Yaoi con.

I'm really tired. Must play sleep sleep revolution... zzzzzzzz

Anneke

Return to “AMV Contests”