Do you think Horror Vids are actualy Scary?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:51 am

They don't seem scary to me. They still classify as horror though, just as all those low budget B-movies are horror but fail to frighten.

LoopyChew
Org Profile

Post by LoopyChew » Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:08 am

Actually, I found Kevin Caldwell's Magnetic Rose/Phantom of the Opera video incredibly scary. Despite plans to archive it to CD, I don't think I'll be touching that one anytime soon.

Then again, I'm a wuss.

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:38 pm

I found Tom the Fish's "Speak My Language" pretty creepy. :shock:

GaijinFactory
Org Profile

Post by GaijinFactory » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:10 am

I saw a memories video at awa that was pretty creepy. It won best horror I think.

I think it's definately possible to make an amv thats scary, I've even contemplated giving it a try a few times, never had any real solid ideas though.
Your portal to the world of Japanese MADs - Gaijin Factory International 2004

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:34 am

GaijinFactory wrote:I saw a memories video at awa that was pretty creepy. It won best horror I think.

I think it's definately possible to make an amv thats scary, I've even contemplated giving it a try a few times, never had any real solid ideas though.
:D The video is This one. It won't be up for download until after the release of the Animasia project though.

As far as making a AMV that is actually frightning I think you have to define your terms. Do you mean a video that will suprise you? make you feel uneasy? I belive that it is possible (as an example I would give "Haunted" by burntoast) it is just extremely dificult because any flaws ruin the mood and therefore the suspense.

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:45 am

A music video cannot be scary because, since when has anybody been "scared" of a song. Now if you were to make some kind of multi layered audio track with sound effects and ambient noise with accompanying melody - maybe you might be able to jolt some folks in their seats.

And certain editing tricks most would think of associating with a horror video (such as lots of shadows & quick flashes) are more distracting than surprising. Of course that would depend on how they are handled.

But more to the point. People today are simply too sophisticated to be scared of anything projected on a video screen (and sometimes in reality as well). We know it's all an illusion, even when we BS ourselves to momentarily "believe" what we are watching - just for the thrill of the experience.

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:00 am

Rozard wrote:Well, take MJ's "Stop Mocking Me!" That was "Perfect Blue" done to Devo! You wouldn't necessarily put those two together. Sure, it's pretty funny to watch, but they're also a haunting side to it.
I really need to get around to remastering that one...

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:11 am

rubyeye wrote:A music video cannot be scary because, since when has anybody been "scared" of a song. Now if you were to make some kind of multi layered audio track with sound effects and ambient noise with accompanying melody - maybe you might be able to jolt some folks in their seats.

And certain editing tricks most would think of associating with a horror video (such as lots of shadows & quick flashes) are more distracting than surprising. Of course that would depend on how they are handled.

But more to the point. People today are simply too sophisticated to be scared of anything projected on a video screen (and sometimes in reality as well). We know it's all an illusion, even when we BS ourselves to momentarily "believe" what we are watching - just for the thrill of the experience.
First of an AMV is not just music, it has a visual element as well. And what are horror movies? Music + ambiant sounds + visuals. Those scare plenty of people.

As for people being to sofisticated to be scared of images is BS. You think our generation is so leet that the "Fight or Flight" response and other hardwired behaviors will just disapear? Fear is an irrational emotion.

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:28 am

Watch some of my Boogiepop Phantom videos or Faces of Death. :D

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:14 am

pen-pen2002 wrote:
rubyeye wrote:A music video cannot be scary because, since when has anybody been "scared" of a song. Now if you were to make some kind of multi layered audio track with sound effects and ambient noise with accompanying melody - maybe you might be able to jolt some folks in their seats.

First of an AMV is not just music, it has a visual element as well. And what are horror movies? Music + ambiant sounds + visuals. Those scare plenty of people.

As for people being to sofisticated to be scared of images is BS. You think our generation is so leet that the "Fight or Flight" response and other hardwired behaviors will just disapear? Fear is an irrational emotion.
I think it was all just a round about way of me saying, "I've never been scared of a "music video". And yes, Carlos, I have seen your Boogiepop and Faces of Death videos - creepy...certainly disturbing, but scary?

Return to “General AMV”