Review - Mistress Nine - Gupt "Hidden" by AnimeDudde

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
pink haze
Org Profile

Review - Mistress Nine - Gupt "Hidden" by AnimeDudde

Post by pink haze » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:13 am

Review threads = cool idea. :up: I hope people continue to participate and find neat videos they might never have seen otherwise.

1) The video will not be posted by the creator (we have announcement forums for that).
2) The video will not have a currently active announcement thread.
3) The thread creator should post their thoughts on the video to initiate discussion.
4) The thread will start with a copy and paste of these 4 rules.

Don't let the unimaginative title fool you!
Don't stop after half a minute. Wait...for...it...

I present a very interesting and surprisingly appropriate character profile.
This video has its strengths and weaknesses, but I think it does one thing very well, and that is:

It's trippy. However! Don't stop there! It's not just trippy for the sake of being trippy--which is, I think, almost as unsatisfying as effectsy-for-the-sake-of-effects. Ideally, a video's style and atmosphere should be intimately related to its story, theme or general purpose.

As you can gather from watching (or from the plot of Sailor Moon if you've seen it) this is about a little girl who is possessed by some kind of demon. It explores the chaos in her mind, and the trippy editing style is fundamental in giving us an idea of what she's experiencing.

Another point of interest is the audio editing. Music as well as voices from the anime are blended seamlessly into the audio. I think it makes the amv feel more intimate and comprehensive as a character profile. Not to mention it's just kinda cool. =D

Anyway, this thing deserves more than 22 stars. <<
Discuss...

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Re: Review - Mistress Nine - Gupt "Hidden" by AnimeDudde

Post by godix » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:59 am

That was uhhh... interesting. I can't say I particularly liked it, but it did have some rather good points. It's fairly unique. I thought the mixing of voices and original anime audio was handled well. The story, as it was, did come through fairly well.

I think the part that made me not like it is that it started out with a strong story, then switched into some weird trippy thing. I like story vids. I like trippy vids. Just not sure I like them together. It's kinda like the old commercial 'you got your chocolate on my peanut butter, you got your peanut butter on my cocolate' except the combo doesn't turn out tasting nearly as nice. Still, there was a story of a sort here and it was presented in an interesting way so it was worth watching even if I didn't exactly like it.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:40 pm

I didn't really see this as "trippy", to me it was more just chaotic.

Interesting mixing of everything... However, I'm not really sure what I would say about it beyond that.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm

I enjoyed it. It was weird, but I'm not sure that it would fit into the "horror" category..."other" might be more appropriate.

It made very interesting use of effects, with mixed results...I liked the focus on color alteration and the general use of color to create a mood of chaos, but I really, REALLY disliked the extensive use of translucent overlays...I hate it when videos do that, and this video was a repeat offender.

Beyond that though, it was a pretty good video. It was well-edited at any rate, and it had a pretty unique mood that effectively drew me in. I find myself with little else to say about it, simply because it was so hard to categorize in so many ways. It's a keeper, but only just.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:14 pm

I had my volume up watching this... that was a mistake o.0

check this video it's got the same trippyness going for it :)

I liked it! Was fun. as far as character profile, I guess anything with the dub in there could be just as good as that -_-. Perhaps the character was trippin out as well though.

Please don't hunt me down for showing you this video.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

pink haze
Org Profile

Post by pink haze » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:25 am

Knowname wrote:this video
Ah, thank you for giving me an example to contrast this vid against. =)

AnimeDudde's video has a pretty obvious justification for its chaotic editing style; it's summed up in the quote you hear repeated throughout. The little girl feels that she lacks control, hence the chaos.

Now, there's always the possibility that it went over my head, but I think Alternababe's video all but exemplifies pointless trippiness. I say "all but" because it does have a point, albeit a thin one: "Doing E @ the Full Moon Concert." The title is the story--the video itself adds very little depth or elaboration to the statement. I'm not going to say it adds nothing at all, because said statement does include a bit of irony--Full Moon is a harmless magical girl series that has nothing to do with hallucinogenic drugs--and the violent imagery in the video fits this irony. But really, there's so little to chew on here, I personally think it's trash. I assume by the unattractive stock effects that the editor wanted it to feel disposable.

Now, why some artists make trash on purpose is beyond me, and I think there's something inherently evil in that practice. But it's okay with me if you like that kind of thing, Knowname. I'm not gonna hunt ya down. ^_~

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:16 pm

I like what the song says in the E video, 'have you ever been mellow...'. But whatever heh, it's not a keeper :P I as well wonder why one would make such chaos out of the beauty that is amv :D I just wanted to point to another video I came acrossed that also has this trippy effect.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:37 pm

pink haze wrote:Now, why some artists make trash on purpose is beyond me, and I think there's something inherently evil in that practice. But it's okay with me if you like that kind of thing, Knowname. I'm not gonna hunt ya down. ^_~
I love me some trash art.
getting a little off topic here, but I feel "trash" art can get at alot of stuff that fine art can't. It's just as legitimate as any other form of art and too me just as interesting.

Here is a musician that identifies himself as surreal folk blues gospel trash, and I love him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJYiIdgpw4Y

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:44 pm

pink haze wrote:Now, why some artists make trash on purpose is beyond me, and I think there's something inherently evil in that practice. But it's okay with me if you like that kind of thing, Knowname. I'm not gonna hunt ya down. ^_~
Considering half of my profile is trash amvs, I can say the mindset behind it is entirely different than normal amvs. With a normal AMV you hope other people like it, that it strikes something with them, or in some other way you kinda hope to be remembered for doing it. With a trash amv it's more along the lines of 'I'm just fucking around. Tomorrow neither the viewer or I will remember this at all'.

Think of it as the difference between an artist taking days to draw a quality work and the same artist doodling on a napkin while waiting for his food. With one, he's actually trying to make something good. With the other, he's just dicking around and amusing himself to kill some time. So I wouldn't say trash art is inherently evil, it just shouldn't be viewed in the same light as regular stuff.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:54 pm

i think we have different definitions on what trash art is.

Return to “General AMV”