Rewriting AVS job scripts

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
DriftRoot
Org Profile

Re: Rewriting AVS job scripts

Post by DriftRoot » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:28 am

Also wanted to add one thing that I discovered, which perhaps more frequent coders already are quite aware of - this is for people who aren't aware (or, like me, are aware, but haven't had their coffee, yet): watch out editing a job file in programs which try to interpret quote marks "properly." To err on the safe side, you only want straight quotes in the job file (""), NOT open or closed quotes (“”). Some command lines it doesn't make a difference, but some it does.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:50 am

It also makes a difference if you use single or double quotes, especially under POSIX compliant applications. That said, sed or perl are still the fastest way to go because you can write a transform function that'll turn the entire VDM script into an avs script, or at least change some parts of it in one go. It's quite nifty when you know how to use regular expressions.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:02 pm

DriftRoot wrote:Interesting to hear the bait-and-switch is an option. Are any editing programs like Premiere having issues with the file sizes? I still am haunted by the days when bait-and-switch was a necessity and switching to the high-quality footage included crossing my fingers and saying a few prayers.
If you're talking about the 4GB size limit, I think most editing applications have gotten past that problem. Even Magix fixed that recently. If it's any consolation, just yesterday, I bait-and-switched a 5GB HuffYUV file with a 4GB Ut file in After Effects and had no problems. Of course, you'll never know if it'll work until you try it :amv:

DriftRoot wrote:you only want straight quotes in the job file (""), NOT open or closed quotes (“”). Some command lines it doesn't make a difference, but some it does.
This reminds me of when I first joined the org. IIRC the forums used (“”) not ("") at the time. Needless to say this was the cause of much hair loss whenever people offered scripts that didn't work :lol: or if they used Word to type their scripts :dino:

Mister Hatt wrote:It also makes a difference if you use single or double quotes, especially under POSIX compliant applications. That said, sed or perl are still the fastest way to go because you can write a transform function that'll turn the entire VDM script into an avs script, or at least change some parts of it in one go. It's quite nifty when you know how to use regular expressions.
Well yeah, if you want to learn sed or perl first :P
Another thing you can do is load your vdub filters directly through avisynth and build your script that way. Although I rarely use vdub filters since the ones made for avisynth are generally more customizable. However, in this case you would still need to make a job queue of sorts, so what DriftRoot is doing is probably the most straight-forward method.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:34 am

sed -e's/lanczos/spline36/g' -e's/1280,720/848,480/g' -i file1.avs -i file2.avs -i file9001.avs

^magical sed line that turns an ugly lanczos upscale into a sugoi splined pretty encode and is capable of dealing with mixed non-upscaled and already splined content over several files~

And this is like easymodo :V

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:33 am

magical sed line is magical :awesome:
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Return to “AviSynth Help”