The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
DarkMammoth
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Post by DarkMammoth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:52 pm

msanogi wrote:
DarkMammoth wrote:While I'm glad that "Britannia, [Expletive] Yeah!" won, I'm a little annoyed that the description give a link to a supposed uncensored version but the video is still censored.
Lol, I was JUST fixing that on the video description before I saw your post. I'll be uploading the uncensored version to a-m-v.org once I get a chance to sit down at my mac later tonight =D

Sorry for the typo/confusion =0 (To be honest, I HAD planned on putting the uncensored version up on YouTube and linking it, instead of putting it up on here, but the bleeps in the censored version were actually the only thing that got it past the bots interestingly enough.)
Awesome! My friends and I all loved the video, so they'll be happy to know the uncensored version's coming.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Honou_Miko wrote:Oh god, I heard so many people complaining about my video. I checked twitter and people were like WTF the Death Note video is SO LONG.
Well, if there's one thing I've learned it's that the audience can be fickle and downright mean at times. For example, that first video in the romance category looks like it took an incredible amount of time and effort to make, yet people barely gave it the time of day.

As far as your video goes, I voted it as my favorite in drama; it's an incredibly hard song to do justice to, yet I think you did a great job. Particularly during the "screamo" segment... syncing Light and Mikami to the action there was perfect.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:12 pm

irriadin wrote:Well, if there's one thing I've learned it's that the audience can be fickle and downright mean at times. For example, that first video in the romance category looks like it took an incredible amount of time and effort to make, yet people barely gave it the time of day.
See, I don't know: I was at the Friday night screening of the AMV contest, and it didn't take long for Cy and I to notice how "Nara" had the audience buzzing. We could hear everyone talking about it, and it sounded like it was in the good way -- they seemed to be catching on to just what was going on in the video and liking it. The applause was very enthusiastic at the end.

Which was why I was a little surprised it didn't even place. But as I always say, anything can happen with an audience vote. And in this case, I wouldn't be surprised if "romance" had been more at the forefront of the audience's minds than "sentimental" when trying to pick who to vote for.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Scintilla wrote:
irriadin wrote:Well, if there's one thing I've learned it's that the audience can be fickle and downright mean at times. For example, that first video in the romance category looks like it took an incredible amount of time and effort to make, yet people barely gave it the time of day.
See, I don't know: I was at the Friday night screening of the AMV contest, and it didn't take long for Cy and I to notice how "Nara" had the audience buzzing. We could hear everyone talking about it, and it sounded like it was in the good way -- they seemed to be catching on to just what was going on in the video and liking it. The applause was very enthusiastic at the end.

Which was why I was a little surprised it didn't even place. But as I always say, anything can happen with an audience vote. And in this case, I wouldn't be surprised if "romance" had been more at the forefront of the audience's minds than "sentimental" when trying to pick who to vote for.
Really? It seemed to me that people took the cue that Romance was the time to either bolt / groan / talk during the showing. Of course, they could have been talking about the AMV, but I just assumed they were talking during it. Either way, I agree that it was surprising Nara didn't place... it was very well done.

Edit: I was there on Friday as well.
Last edited by irriadin on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheTsunami
Org Profile

Post by TheTsunami » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:27 pm

The pattern for Otakon video voting has always been really standard. Comedy rules all. The best way to win a category like Romance/Sentimental (which the audience always gives a collective groan to) is to get as much comedy into your video as possible without being moved out of the category. The most blatant example of this was 'Sailor Love Story' in 2005, which was a blatant comedy video that managed to convince judges to let it compete in Romance/Sentimental. This year's winner in that category was an excellent video, but the comedic presence ensured it's victory. The audience just doesn't care for the category otherwise.

Cyanna
Super Rad!
Org Profile

Post by Cyanna » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:30 pm

What about dwchang's model for a winning romance AMV? They're not usually funny...

I think with the audience it's less about actual comedy and more about being something that they can relate to whether it's a comedic romance or a more tug at your heartstrings kind of video. Nara was absolutely gorgeous but very surreal and the concept might not have been so easily grasped.
Last edited by Cyanna on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroRyoko197
Org Profile

Post by ZeroRyoko197 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:31 pm

I am looking for the title of one of the videos shown in the overflow room. It was like someone flipping through tv channels, and in the end Kyon turns off the tv and decides to do his homework. I know one of the channels was patenko channel

purplepolecat
Org Profile

Post by purplepolecat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:32 pm

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:Horse over pacific coast party ? Shitdamn some people have very different opinions as to what makes a good AMV.
FTFY. <ducks>

I'm a big fan of both vids. If you look at how much editing skill each one took, there's no contest, but that's not what it's all about. Audience awards are a good indicator of what vid the audience liked best. Any other interpretation is problematic.

Congrats to the winners !

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Cyanna wrote:What about dwchang's model for a winning romance AMV? They're not usually funny...
Maybe not to you... :ying:
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

TheTsunami
Org Profile

Post by TheTsunami » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Cyanna wrote:What about dwchang's model for a winning romance AMV? They're not usually funny...
Keep in mind that not every year does someone make the Romance finals with a video containing comedy (as well as dwchang's wins being 6 and 7 years ago now). The ones that DO reach the finals with that ingredient have great success with audience voting, because the audience wants to laugh more than anything else at this contest.

(Just to reiterate, the winning video was an excellent video and I am not calling it's victory suspect, only helping the previous poster understand what traditionally goes on in the mind of the Otakon voter).

Return to “AMV Contests”