The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Sephiroth
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Post by Sephiroth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:59 am

Just keep making the vids you make if you get into finals that's a bonus.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:48 am

I have never been so excited to win second place in a contest in all my life.

I was sitting by another Otakon staffer who happened to see all the finalists before this weekend. (He was the lawyer that screened the finalists for content.) When he found out I made "Gunsmith Cat City", his face beamed, he grabbed my hands, shook them excitedly, and he said, "Thank you! Thank you SO much for making that video!!" It turned out that the two primarily "non-effects" videos bookend-ed the other four skillfully edited technical marvels in the category. For my video to finish second after competing with the others is an awesome feat to me.

I'll admit, "Fallen Souls" isn't like "Soul Groove" from last year, but maybe it will grow on me with time. With the winner going to an effects-heavy video and 2nd place going to a non-effects video, I have learned not to completely lose faith in the Otakon audience. :) Congratulations to Wingzofsilence for the win, and thanks to the audience that voted for me anyways. Second Place is definitely NOT the first loser at Otakon.

[Oh, and about Vic's Pick for the contest, I got to see it this morning. All I have to say about it is HELL YEAH I DO, AND THANK YOU. :) ]
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:52 am

Scintilla wrote:Upbeat was undoubtedly the strongest category this year.
Definitely agree, as almost every video in this category is in my "need to download" list once I get home (I already have Children of Daicon and Magic Over Mittens downloaded already).

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:09 am

TnAdct1 wrote:
Scintilla wrote:Upbeat was undoubtedly the strongest category this year.
Definitely agree, as almost every video in this category is in my "need to download" list once I get home (I already have Children of Daicon and Magic Over Mittens downloaded already).
Action was pretty damn strong, too, if you ask me; couldn't pick a favorite. (I didn't vote, but yeah, I still couldn't pick a favorite.)

I feel like this is probably asked every year and I don't remember if percentages are given about the entries that didn't place (I remember seeing the percentages for my video last year, but I made runner-up that time). Any chance of finding out the percentages this year? or at least will I be able to find out how much of a total fail idea it was to enter my video lol

I am sort of honored to have stirred up quite a ruckus, though. At least I'm memorable. :wink:
AKA CurryMuttonPizza

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:15 am

Scintilla wrote: Upbeat was undoubtedly the strongest category this year, so I'd say ZaCloud really has something to be proud of here.
Wow, then I'm surprise I actually made it into the contest considering I'm not known for my upbeat amvs.

Congrats to all those who won, looks like it was a good contest this year.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:48 am

I look forward to reading "Hey Chief where's that fire?" stories from our intrepid AMVers who went to Otakon.

Shuichiro
Org Profile

Post by Shuichiro » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:52 am

Does anyone have a listing of all the finalists?

Doomimus
Org Profile

Post by Doomimus » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:57 am

TnAdct1 wrote:Unofficial results:
ROMANCE/SENTIMENTAL
Winner: by Doomimus
Runner-Up: by Code
I haz much happies. :D

Congrats to everyone!
"A film as rich as a sauce béarnaise, as refreshing as a raspberry sorbet, and a lot less predictable than the damn food metaphors and adjectives all us critics will churn out to describe it."
-David Ansen on "Ratatouille"

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:21 pm

I hope everyone liked my video... action category was pretty good this year, especially the Soul Eater one, which was totally pro and awesome. Didn't take any awards, but hey, Skin was my first AMV, so there's always next year.

btw Brakus, I sat next to you on Friday. Congrats at taking runner-up!

-Corsair-
Org Profile

Post by -Corsair- » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:54 pm

The contest went very smoothly this year ~ I was happy to be one of the finalists :)
Since the con, I've become obsessed with Crossfade's AMV, that really won my heart this year <3

Return to “AMV Contests”