Converting .ogm files to .avi

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Mogadean
Org Profile

Converting .ogm files to .avi

Post by Mogadean » Wed May 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Ok I know there are other threads that have addressed this but none of them were QUITE what I needed, so as a last resort I am posting my specific question(s).

I have recently started the whole video editing thing and I used my dvds to rip vobs (blahblahblah I used A&E's guide). This worked very well for me and I used the method in which an avisynth script is created to play a .d2v on virtualdub/avsp until it is satisfactory, and then convert it to one big .avi file. Now I have downloaded some anime from a torrent (first time doing this), and the files are in .ogm format. I know virtualdubmod can play .ogm files but it won't download correctly on my computer (this isn't the problem; please do not address this.), so I was wondering if there is a plugin/codec I can use to do the same type of process I was using for the dvds. I would like to once again create an avisynth script routing the .ogm file through virtualdub and then convert it into an avi. I have read about downloading haali media splitter, which I tried, but I didn't know what to do with it. If I do need to use Haali, please give detailed instructions on how to use it and what it does. (I am really good with computers, but I rot when it comes to video (for now :D))

~Thanks so much! :D

P.S. In case anyone wanted to know, the anime is Tenchi Muyo! (the original 13 episode ova series) <3

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Converting .ogm files to .avi

Post by mirkosp » Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Pretty sure the original ova series of "Tenchi Muyo!" is licensed in the US so you should be looking for the DVDs and use those for this one as well...

...however if for whatever reason you're really bound to be using ogm files, you should probably try using

Code: Select all

ffvideosource("your file.ogm")
or failing that (you need the plugin in your avisynth plugins folder for it to work, so before trying the second way, make sure you have the dll), then

Code: Select all

directshowsource("your file.ogm")
to load them in avisynth.
However, you could very well just load them directly in virtualdub, as virtualdub can open ogm files.

Mogadean
Org Profile

Post by Mogadean » Fri May 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Yeah I was trying to use ffvideosource but .ogms do not natively open up through virtualdub. I was hoping for a plugin/codec of some sort that would allow me to open in virtualdub. I am good with avisynth :D

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri May 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Ah right, it was virtualdubmod that was able to open ogm files. However, there are enough reasons not to use vdubmod over vdub that I'm going to say it's better to just use ffvideosource and vdub. :P

Mogadean
Org Profile

Post by Mogadean » Fri May 14, 2010 7:28 pm

mirkosp wrote:Ah right, it was virtualdubmod that was able to open ogm files. However, there are enough reasons not to use vdubmod over vdub that I'm going to say it's better to just use ffvideosource and vdub. :P
Exactly, and that is what I want to do, but again, ogm files will not open natively in vdub. :C

Is there a way that you know of that allows me to do that?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Using OGM with FFMS2 requires Haali's Media Splitter, just like with M2TS. And like those, it's preferable to use MKVToolNix to change the container first, and then open the MKV in FFMS2. Or, you know, open them in VDubMod and use Direct Stream Copy to save to a new AVI file - any OGM you can open in VDubMod is holding a VFW video stream anyway (more often than not, that video stream was encoded with DivX or XviD).

Remuxing them is preferred regardless of the situation with FFMS2; OGM is a horribly hacky format that, aside from Haali's Splitter, has equally terrible integration with any kind of workflow or Windows itself - there's a reason groups abandoned it in the span of about 2 or 3 years from the time it showed up, and the 'reference'* filters would regularly crash Windows Media Player and Windows Explorer.

*Read: stuff that Xiph had no hand in producing - Xiph only allows Theora to be placed in ogg, and the container spec is entirely different; OGM is to Ogg what the null frames/b-frames/VBR MP3 hacks are to AVI, but much worse - it's pretty much the equivalent of trying to shoehorn WMV9 or RealMedia video streams into an MPEG-1 PS container.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Mogadean
Org Profile

Post by Mogadean » Fri May 14, 2010 9:34 pm

sorry you really just lost me on that post... :/

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat May 15, 2010 8:23 am

1. Download & install Haali's Media Splitter; default settings are fine.
2. Write AviSynth script to open the .ogm with FFVideoSource
3. Open in VirtualDub 1.9.9 and cut clips/compress to lossless/whatever else you need to do.
4. ?
5. Profit.

or

1. Download & install MKVToolNix
2. Open the .ogm in mkvmerge GUI and press the 'Start muxing' button.
3. Write an AviSynth script opening the new .mkv file with FFVideoSource.
4. See points 3-5 in the first list.

or

1. Open .ogm in VirtualDubMod.
2. Set Video menu to 'Direct Stream Copy'.
3. Save as usual to an AVI file.
4. Write AviSynth script opening AVI file with AVISource.
5. See points 3-5 in the first list.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat May 15, 2010 5:55 pm

@Qyot27: Completely unecessary and I don't now why you wrote that.

@Mogadean:
>I am good with avisynth
>I was trying to use ffvideosource but .ogms do not natively open up through virtualdub

Clearly you either suck with avisynth or... No actually, that's about the only option. ffvideosource("your.ogm") <--this goes in avisynth and you open your avs script in vdub, funny how that works, although FFMS2 might not be frame accurate for ogm.

@mirko: where are you people getting FFMS2 requires Haali's splitter for Xiphshit from? I don't have Haali's splitter and it works fine here. Haali's splitter doesn't even run in my OS.

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat May 15, 2010 6:15 pm

The FFMS2 documentation.
Limitations
*Requires Haali's Media Splitter if ogm or mpeg ps/ts is to be opened.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”