Ripping Blu-ray movies

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
The Non-Professional
Org Profile

Re: Ripping Blu-ray movies

Post by The Non-Professional » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Wow I feel like a complete idiot trying to read all of this, I keep re-reading and still have no idea what anyone is talking about. I managed to rip the m2ts file off the BluRay im using, but dont know what to do with it after that. I see everyone mentioning FFMS2 but I have no idea what that is, or how it works, most I can figure is it works inside AVIsynth.

Is there a guide anywhere someone can point me to? or am I just gonna have to keep re-reading all of this? sorry for being such a newb, Ive really fallen out of touch with video due to my inactivity . :/

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Enigma wrote:Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>
Too bad the guide doesn't go over BDs yet. :roll:

The Non-Professional
Org Profile

Post by The Non-Professional » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:06 pm

mirkosp wrote:
Enigma wrote:Read <a href="http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech3/">ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>
Too bad the guide doesn't go over BDs yet. :roll:

lol that was the first place I looked. Thanks tho :lol:

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:45 pm

Since you already have the .m2ts, you should remux it into MKV. That will make it much easier to work with the footage (especially for seeking).

If you don't have Haali's Media Splitter installed (or haven't updated it in a while), install it. If the main site is down, you can also find it here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Haa ... litter.htm

The reason I'm suggesting this is because of GDSMux (which is in C:\Program Files\Haali\MatroskaSplitter, or under the Haali Media Splitter entry in Start->Programs). The reason is that GDSMux allows you to change the container from M2TS to MKV graphically.

With GDSMux open, right-click in the white space on the Input tab. Choose the 'Add source...' option, and give it the .m2ts. It'll come up with a list of the tracks in the file. Uncheck any you don't want (audio tracks, subtitles, or so on). Click the ... button at the bottom of the window to specify the Output file. Then press the Start button. After it's finished, close GDSMux.

FFMS2 (or FFmpegSource2) is indeed an AviSynth source filter. It uses libavcodec as its decoder, so if you can play the file in VLC or mplayer, chances are FFMS2 can handle it as well. You can download it here (you want r292):
http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/

To use the filter, unpack the .7z file to C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins. The script, in its simplest form, will look like:

Code: Select all

FFVideoSource("remuxed-video.mkv")
When you first open it, FFMS2 indexes the file, so the first time opening the file will take longer. Subsequent opens won't. If you'd rather index it without opening the script (and get a progress meter), then ffmsindex.exe can be used for that. It's command-line only, though.

Once it's indexed and you know the script works, treat it just like you would any other script.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:49 am

GreenT is a Mac editor, but failed to mention that fact. I will have an answer on how to rip BDs on a Mac soon. All AviSynth information should remain valid.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:13 am

For the process of dealing with remuxing the thing:

wine eac3to.exe 00001.m2ts remuxed.mkv

eac3to is a windows app but frankly it's about the best you have. tsmuxer is another alternative to remuxing to mkv (runs natively in OSX) however it doesn't always work due to some random finicky things. It also only runs in Leopard.

The Non-Professional
Org Profile

Post by The Non-Professional » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:11 am

@Qyot27: Thank you sososososososoo much for the help, I really appreciate it. I followed the steps and have a few more questions

1) Should my computer only recognize the m2ts file as audio, every program seems to think it is besides VLC which is the only thing thatll play it right now

2) once ive changed the m2ts file to mkv, should the file only be a few kbs big?

3) When I try making the script in avisynth, would the problem in the first question be the reason avisynth is saying no video file is found?

The Non-Professional
Org Profile

Post by The Non-Professional » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 am

you'll have to excuse my last post, for Im an idiot, I think I didnt have something properly installed, so i went back, re installed some stuff, and now it all works dandy, thanks again for the help :DD

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat May 01, 2010 7:26 am

For the record, your PC would read the m2ts file as audio only if libavformat is your default m2ts demuxer, which it shouldn't be if Haali's splitter is installed. libavformat breaks on m2ts and messes with seeking amongst other things. Do yourself a favour and uninstall VLC as well, there is no reason to have it besides for streaming crap or breaking playback and looking silly on the internet.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”