Reducing avi file size?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Jessie-kun
Org Profile

Reducing avi file size?

Post by Jessie-kun » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:40 pm

I've figured out how to write avisynth scripts and load them into VirtualDubMod and all that. But for some reason, everytime I choose the "save as avi" option on VDM, after it's done, the file is enormous, and sometimes will take up all my remaining disk space (about 15GB). I read the AMVAPP guide, and it says to use Huffy or Lagarith, but it doesn't really tell me how. Not only that, but even after installing Huffy and Lagarith, I can't seem to find them on my computer.

I know I must sound like a horrible newbie. Truth is, I'm very new to these tools, even though I've been editing amvs for over a year and a half. So, I'm not completely incompetent, but these terms are very new and confusing to me, so if anyone would be nice enough to explain it to me, it would be very, very appreciated.

-- Jessie

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Re: Reducing avi file size?

Post by Enigma » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Make clips.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:56 pm

In b4 Hatt.

Use the newest VDub, which is 1.9.9, and press the CHANGE button at the bottom (should be next to [uncompressed]) of the save-as menu and choose HUFFYUV 2.1.1 (I believe that's the newest version, Hatt may correct me). Or actually, if you're on windows, you can choose Lagarith as well.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Kionon wrote:In b4 Hatt.
I lol'd. :lol:
Use the newest VDub, which is 1.9.9, and press the CHANGE button at the bottom (should be next to [uncompressed]) of the save-as menu
That's how you do it in VDM. In virtualdub you go to the Video Menu and pick Fast recompress, then you go Video > Compression and pick the codec you wish.
and choose HUFFYUV 2.1.1 (I believe that's the newest version, Hatt may correct me). Or actually, if you're on windows, you can choose Lagarith as well.
Yeah, huffyuv 2.1.1 is latest, but yeah, lagarith is a better option.

Jessie-kun
Org Profile

Post by Jessie-kun » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

I tried what you said, and somehow I ended up with a file that was 253 MB. D:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Well, that is much less than 15GB. I don't see what your issue is, we're talking about lossless encoding for editing purposes, right?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:30 pm

KaseiHikari wrote:I tried what you said, and somehow I ended up with a file that was 253 MB. D:
Yes, and this is much superior to uncompressed, which was probably spouting out GBs. HUFFYUV and Lagarith are still lossless, even if they are compression codecs. They will be heavy.
mudkip wrote:That's how you do it in VDM. In virtualdub you go to the Video Menu and pick Fast recompress, then you go Video > Compression and pick the codec you wish.
derp derp

Old habits die hard, of course, you're right.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 am

I thought this thread was gonna be about MPEG4-ASP AVI files and I was getting ready to give a whole wall of tl;dr about SBC and why VDub sucks D:

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”