Compression...Encoding...& Converting questions...

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
TeclmmlEd
Org Profile

Re: Compression...Encoding...& Converting questions...

Post by TeclmmlEd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:53 am

mirkosp wrote:Well, as far as filters are concerned, a few of them were thougt out specifically with anime in mind, like for example awarpsharp, but a fair deal of them will work well on live action too... you'll just have to pay attention to the settings.
Generally speaking though, cpu=4 could be a bit too high of a setting even for anime, so it could be bad for live action. I'd set it to 0 and gradually increase it until you see artifacts going away (if there were any), while making sure that there isn't much blurring or detail loss involved. You'll probably end up using cpu=2 at most, although I don't know.
As for the aspect ratio issue, I think it's due to how you set your project in premiere.
I think you set your project to be a 720x480 widescreen NTSC, which would also explain why your sequence is 29.97. You have to manually specify the settings for the sequence so that they match the source.
By setting your sequence to 848x480 23.976 the black bars on the right and left side will be gone. Now, as for the upper and lower bars, those letterbox bars are already in the source I believe, since star wars is a 2.35:1 source, and in order to fit 2.35:1 into a DVD they have to letterbox it to 16:9 and encode anamorphic like that. You can either keep those borders and edit at 848x480, or crop them and edit at 848x352. If you want to crop them, then change your script to:

Code: Select all

mpeg2source("C:\Users\Edwin\Desktop\Ripped Files\A New Hope.d2v",cpu=0)
crop(0,64,-0,-64)
spline36resize(848,352)
I removed the converttoyv12 since DVDs are YV12 themselves, so it was just redundant. ConverttoRGB32() is probably what you are referring to, but I'd say that it is unnecessary.
When I try to create a custom sequence withing Adobe Premiere CS4 it does not allow me -____-. The box with the height and width just stay Grey not allowing me to customize it.

- Tec

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:03 am

Select "Desktop" instead of whatever preset is selected at the moment (probably "NTSC DV" or something along those lines).

TeclmmlEd
Org Profile

Post by TeclmmlEd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:21 pm

mirkosp wrote:Select "Desktop" instead of whatever preset is selected at the moment (probably "NTSC DV" or something along those lines).
Ok I had to go through one of the presets such as the one you just stated which is "DV - NTSC Widescreen 48khz" but than once I go to the general tab within this picture I can change the editing mode to desktop which aloud me to change all the settings to the correct ones which are...http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6406 ... ttings.jpg

But even after this there are bigger black borders on the side of the video...does anything look wrong in those settings? ^^^

THANK YOU BTW YOU GUYS ARE HELPING OUT SO MUCH :)

- Tec

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Try using a PAR of 1 instead of NTSC Widescreen
Also, you'll want to change field order to none (progressive) since your footage is progressive

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:23 pm

You'll also probably want to change the Audio Sample Rate to 44100 Hz, since that's how audio is stored on CDs. That is, unless your audio comes from a DVD, in which case 48000 Hz is appropriate.

TeclmmlEd
Org Profile

Post by TeclmmlEd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Kariudo wrote:Try using a PAR of 1 instead of NTSC Widescreen
Also, you'll want to change field order to none (progressive) since your footage is progressive
Ok just to make sure by you saying PAR of 1 that means PIXEL ASPECT RATIO of Square Pixels (1.0).
mirkosp wrote:You'll also probably want to change the Audio Sample Rate to 44100 Hz, since that's how audio is stored on CDs. That is, unless your audio comes from a DVD, in which case 48000 Hz is appropriate.
Also it ended up working perfectly once I changed what you guys told me to but I just want to make sure the PAR of 1 is correct.

- Tec

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Yeah, 1.0 is correct.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”