2010 VCAs - General Discussion

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: 2010 VCAs - General Discussion

Post by Ileia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Animated wrote:Last year every Russian editor suggested amvs that came from other Russian editors. This year everyone in Re-evolution studios is suggesting amvs of... Re-evolution studios as the best of each category, plus Chiikaboom.

Guess who will continue this circle of life the next year and win some cookies!

It happens. A lot of that is because those are the videos they've seen. Personally, it just introduces me to more videos that I might not otherwise notice.

Atari: Yes, if it's the same as last year. The list is filtered to show those listed in the category, but you can change the filters.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:30 pm

LittleAtari wrote:Let's say the biggest circle jerk is 50 people.
I hope they put down a tarp. That's an awful lot of semen. :amv:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Animated wrote:Last year every Russian editor suggested amvs that came from other Russian editors. This year everyone in Re-evolution studios is suggesting amvs of... Re-evolution studios as the best of each category, plus Chiikaboom.

Guess who will continue this circle of life the next year and win some cookies!
Honestly, I don't think its that much of a problem. Most of the videos they're suggesting are pretty much deserving of the awards they're being entered to. It's all down to personal taste when the voting comes around.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:47 pm

LittleAtari wrote:Also, I'm sick of people complaining about circle jerks. Re-Evo is like 20 editors. 20 votes will not make a video win a category. As for the Russians, it wasnt a problem last year. No one cry 'ZOMG CIRCLE JERK' because the VCAs involves the entire site, not just the forums. Let's say the biggest circle jerk is 50 people. That still isnt enough to win a category.
No, but circle jerks are enough to get into the finals. For example, I've been a finalist for most helpful for like the last four or five years now. So circle jerks can get a video rather far, far enough to get attention and so on while other, perhaps more deserving, vids get ignored.

OTOH, the entire contest is a giant circlejerk what does it matter?

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:53 pm

godix wrote:
LittleAtari wrote:Also, I'm sick of people complaining about circle jerks. Re-Evo is like 20 editors. 20 votes will not make a video win a category. As for the Russians, it wasnt a problem last year. No one cry 'ZOMG CIRCLE JERK' because the VCAs involves the entire site, not just the forums. Let's say the biggest circle jerk is 50 people. That still isnt enough to win a category.
No, but circle jerks are enough to get into the finals. For example, I've been a finalist for most helpful for like the last four or five years now. So circle jerks can get a video rather far, far enough to get attention and so on while other, perhaps more deserving, vids get ignored.
Godix is 100% correct. It doesn't take many votes to make the finals so this is definitely a (minor) problem. For me the problem exists in that deserving videos are ignored due to this. Casual viewers will assume what is in the finals is "the best" when in reality it usually not the case.

That said, Godix is also correct in that the entire contest is one circle jerk within our community so meh.

Edit: It is still pretty hilarious how far people will go for an online contest though and also sad that folks are unable to see past their friends or assume their friends make the best things and thus are blind to other good work. Oh well.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

simofc90
Org Profile

Post by simofc90 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:12 pm

that's my opinion too and that's why for me this contest needs judges + the vote of viewers (as second choice)... like a jca fusion with vca...

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Speaking of circle jerking..

We need an RDS choice award because since I was the only one who made videos for RDS last year, I would win by default. 8-) :P
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Wooo GQ! You guys are in good hands this year. :D

Ironically, the one year I don't run the contest, I don't actually have any videos to enter. >__>

But this'll give me a good chance to catch up on what I've missed all year long. :up:

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Any possibility of getting a rar of the preliminary videos? You know, so we have a complete look at the competition?
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

StrawberryKiss
Org Profile

Post by StrawberryKiss » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:53 pm

A statement of being the ring leader of my studio and all.

First of all, yes, we have a lot of editors and like any studio, friends and bonds. So no surprise, we're probably going to put in our 2 cents for our friends and all.

Secondly, it's true. I see a lot of my own studios works. We're now up to 22 editors, 90% active, which means a lot of AMVs to watch. I also watch a lot of the populars on the org though, seen a lot that's been in cons this year. But when I think of a video to nominate I firstly think if there's any fitting any of my members so I can give them a shot.

We're a new group, this is just another chance to participate more in the org and less at our other home, Youtube. With the VCAs, I'm just getting my group's feet wet and having fun.

There's no way any of our nominations will win even if I made all of them vote.

So far the response I'm seeing is a little dramatic and I am surprised that my group gets this much attention in 2 hours.

Return to “2010 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”