The Otakon 2009 thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2009 thread

Post by Parodic Productions » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Congrats to the winners. Interesting choices this year. A lot of alternative music, I noticed. Meh.

Comedy was pretty interesting. The Nazi Word song was pretty good, although the final verse kinda dragged a little, main reason I didn't want to use the song, but I understood the basis of that, still pretty good. I really liked K-ownd, it was very innovative and inspiring. I'm actually surprised the Polkarama vid won, seeing as it was a standard Weird Al Polka Montage vid, but it was obviously a fan favorite and it was done quite well in comparison with past polka vids, so congratulations on the win. I'm going to refrain from mentioning the other two comedy vids for their sake.

My personal fan favorite vid was the winner of Upbeat. Because I am sick that way.

Overall, nice job to all contestants. Next year I'll make sure to submit something for the con. And I'm certain it will come as a surprise for everyone.

Particularly me, since I have absolutely no clue what I'm going to do.

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:49 pm

Congratz to all winners, I'm sure it must have been an amazing contest. :up:

Pockying
Org Profile

Post by Pockying » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:29 pm

I had a lot of fun this year, the AMV contest and the IC were both enjoyable! <3 Congrats to the winners! I really loved the comedy category!

Though I got some bad responses to my AMV .__.;
I'm totally not entering anything pink or SC! next year :/

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Congrats to the winners! I've heard good things about the contest, too bad I couldn't go.

Pwolf

-Corsair-
Org Profile

Post by -Corsair- » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:10 pm

I didn't win 1st, but if anyone's interested, here's my video.
Pretty good for a finalist if I say so myself :D

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=170122
Title : Circles
Category : Romance/Sentimental
Artist : Heartsdales
Song : Gonna Love

-if you're lazy, it's also on the much dreaded boochsack :wink:

robodevil
Org Profile

Post by robodevil » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:14 pm

I voted for you, corsair!

I was a finalist too - Hellsing Ultimate, Closer to Dog - but... I entered it as an action video, and made it as an action video... it was weird to see it in the comedy section. Yeah, it was built to have chuckles, and wasn't paced like a retard on crack - it's Hellsing. It's a smooth action show with chuckles in it.

But, hope you guys liked it enough anyway. Next year I'm making a flat out comedy video. We'll see if that goes as smoothly.

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:46 pm

robodevil wrote:I voted for you, corsair!

I was a finalist too - Hellsing Ultimate, Closer to Dog - but... I entered it as an action video, and made it as an action video... it was weird to see it in the comedy section. Yeah, it was built to have chuckles, and wasn't paced like a retard on crack - it's Hellsing. It's a smooth action show with chuckles in it.

But, hope you guys liked it enough anyway. Next year I'm making a flat out comedy video. We'll see if that goes as smoothly.
Ah, that explains a lot to me, actually.

I was surprised that the AMV to Rawkfist didn't win anything. :| I was sure that'd win SOMETHING.

I'm eager to see what percentage each video got, particularly my own. Last year I got last in action, so I want to at least move up from last in my category this year. My prediction? The Nightwish AMV probably won by a landslide, and every other video, my own included, got votes in the percentages of the single digits.

And for those interested, my video is up. Has been for a while, but here's a link:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=164925
Title: Tasukete
Anime: Ef ~ A Tale of Melodies
Song: "Rescue Me," by Hawthorne Heights.

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Here's mine. I was surprised I didn't at least get runners up, especially considering the winner.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Miracle_Falcon wrote:I'm eager to see what percentage each video got, particularly my own. Last year I got last in action, so I want to at least move up from last in my category this year. My prediction? The Nightwish AMV probably won by a landslide, and every other video, my own included, got votes in the percentages of the single digits.
From what I was told, every category was actually very close, except for Romance.

I'm kind of hoping Vic only publicly posts percentages for the winners and runners-up (which is how it was traditionally done back in the day). I mean, if an editor wants to ask him privately how his/her video did, that's fine, but I felt really bad for the people last year who were revealed to have gotten very low proportions of the vote.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Rinny
Org Profile

Post by Rinny » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:36 pm

AMVorgasm wrote:I had a lot of fun this year, the AMV contest and the IC were both enjoyable! <3 Congrats to the winners! I really loved the comedy category!

Though I got some bad responses to my AMV .__.;
I'm totally not entering anything pink or SC! next year :/
What do you mean you got some bad responses? You won your category!

Return to “AMV Contests”