Ohayocon 2009 AMV Contest Finalists

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Re: Ohayocon 2009 AMV Contest Finalists

Post by Autraya » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:42 pm

chui101 wrote:
ngsilver wrote:
mirkosp wrote:Also, is it me or do comedy and upbeat have less finalists than the other categories? :?
Dying breed comedy is... sadly seems upbeat is going the way of comedy as well...
Weird. I thought comedies were the easiest to put together. I guess maybe it's harder to put together well.
my theory is that all the editors are becoming depressed and emo so they don't make happy vids >.>

I find comedy very hard to make, the idea to make the videos just never occur to me, and they take about 10 times as long to edit :x they just aren't my style so i have no motivation to make them either. That's why we keep giving mirk drugs so he makes them :o

Anyway cookies ftw in every category >.>
new banzors in the making :p

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:07 pm

Autraya wrote:
I find comedy very hard to make, the idea to make the videos just never occur to me, and they take about 10 times as long to edit :x they just aren't my style so i have no motivation to make them either. That's why we keep giving mirk drugs so he makes them :o
I think comedy is so difficult because you really have to go against the grain for what a series, story line, or character interactions are about. Making a comedic video out of a comedy may not be as funny as making one out of a drama or action series. It requires a lot more thinking outside of the box in terms of concept for those of us that it doesn't come naturally to. And then you have to hope that your material can get a response from the viewer. You spend countless hours making the video so it's harder to tell if the material is still as funny after a while.

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:31 pm

chui101 wrote:
ngsilver wrote:
mirkosp wrote:Also, is it me or do comedy and upbeat have less finalists than the other categories? :?
Dying breed comedy is... sadly seems upbeat is going the way of comedy as well...
Weird. I thought comedies were the easiest to put together. I guess maybe it's harder to put together well.
I don't know. I don't think comedies are that difficult; then again, that's the majority of what I make these days. Furthermore, I have a hard time making dramas; so it really comes down to personal style. At any rate, I'll still keep making comedies even if they become less common.

On a completely different note, I'll definitely be attending the Saturday night showing. Though that means I'll be driving back to Toledo at midnight (unless the showing's moved up to earlier in the evening).
ImageImage

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:58 pm

Comedy needs to be, generally speaking, more about concept and less about editing itself compared to the other genres, or so I think. A comedy vid with few well placed scenes is harder to make than a fast paced action video with a lot of really well synced random cuts... that's 'cause an action video is cool even if random, whereas the point of comedy is being funny and that needs the right scene more than the right beat. That's harder to get right, especially if you have a weak concept... so yeah, that's why comedy is harder, imho. But it's also more enjoyable when done well, on an average basis.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:53 am

hey ng, gothik just finished showing at another con and there has been an issue with dloads and the file only getting to 70+ % did you get the full 4mins + vid?

Just wondering because i've been having the same issue x_x with any upload of it. :amv:
new banzors in the making :p

lynit
Org Profile

Post by lynit » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Woot. I actually made it in.
Thanks =)
<Stirspeare> Otohiko: You guys sure love dongs.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:42 am

Autraya wrote:hey ng, gothik just finished showing at another con and there has been an issue with dloads and the file only getting to 70+ % did you get the full 4mins + vid?

Just wondering because i've been having the same issue x_x with any upload of it. :amv:
As far as I remember the vid was like 5 mins long and finished out properly with no problems. I can double check once I am able to get my stuff unpacked and my PC with the results back up and running hopefully tonight.

So yes, official results will be posted as soon as all of that can happen.

In the meantime I want to thank everyone who entered the contest, it was a good contest. Those of you who were at the con I must apologize for the technical difficulties on Friday night was well as the poor scheduling and definitions of what was happening when. There was miss communication on both my part and the convention's part that caused a lot of headache for you, and myself. Hopefully next year these problems will be ironed out and everything will go off without a hitch.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”