Yaoicon Contest Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Yaoicon Contest Results

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:50 am

Here are the results for those who did not make it to the closing ceremonies

I apologize for the lack of info for some as I am doing this off the top of my head as I'm still tired from yaoicon and awa being one week from one another.

Best comedy: the harassment of Kyon - Haruhi - Mysterious Ryder
Best Action: Falling Dreams - Kingdom Hearts 2 - MysteriousRyder
Best Drama: Never Too Late - Tsubasa Chronicles - (name forgotten will fix later)
Best Romance: Lovers' Path - Various - Myka
Best in Show: the harassment of Kyon - Haruhi - Mysterious Ryder
Best Matching theme: Mistake - Code Geass - ShiKamiKa
Best Artistic: Voiceless - Loveless - WTF Productions
Best Technical: Forgot will update later

Full list of finalists

Mistake Andika
Better off without you Macriela
Turn Around Amo-chan
You'll be in my heart Maricela
Desire Mie'Aga
Make This Last Hidama
Never too late Maricela
Over and over Maricela
Falling Dreams MysteriousRyder
Lover's Path Myaka
Kujikette Hamanasu Autraya & Sweetdeily
Voiceless WTF Productions
Broken Bonds WC Annihilus
Should have known Amo-chan
Metamorphosis Asidian Morris
Far Away Dirty D
Delirium Hidama Productions
Decisions Amo-chan
Drug Anneke
I'm Seme Thanks for Asking Corpsegoddess
Whispers in the dark Cyancat
Pretty Boys Anneke
Mi Vida Amo-chan
SHMF WTF Productions
Love and War Mie'Aga
Chase me catch me don't let me go Chibi Lung a pov
A Not So Happy Ending Cyancat
I won't say I'm in love Cyancat
DMRA Get Your Ass to Mars Sephiroth
The Harassment of Kyon MysteriousRyder
Last edited by The Wired Knight on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: Yaoicon Contest Results

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:24 am

The Wired Knight wrote: Best in Show: the harassment of Kyon - Haruhi - Mysterious Ryder
Oh geez :roll:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:16 am

Thanks for posting, Wired. Will you expand it with a list of finalists? I'm wondering if mine made it in...

maricela
Org Profile

Yaoicon Contest Results

Post by maricela » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:06 am

Yay!! :D I am so happy that my AMV "Never Too Late - Tsubasa Chronicles" won for Best Romance!! ^o^ Congrats to all the winners!!

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:01 am

Castor Troy wrote:
The Wired Knight wrote: Best in Show: the harassment of Kyon - Haruhi - Mysterious Ryder
Oh geez :roll:
My thoughts exactly. I think AWA is the only contest it was sent to where it didn't win. Honestly, it's a very well done video and I liked it a lot when I first saw it at Otakon, but this trolling nearly every contest out there has completely ruined it for me.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:39 pm

While the "Harasement of Kyon" may have been a Troll, the AMV creators (in general/I talked to) at the convention had no problem with it being in the contest. Why? Because it matched the theme of the convention so well that it needed to be shown there, even if it had been shown everywhere else. One of the Kingdom Heart's video that had been sent everywhere we were annoyed with, expecially when it had a 'straight' pairing to it. Yaoi AMV creators tend to be a close group. I talked with some of the other creators and we also tended to aggree that the 'action' catagory really needs to be changed into the 'sex' catagory at Y-con.

My videos were not the best. I've been into BJDs the last year, and those have taken my soul. I however was proud to break people's brains with my 'Yaoi Drug' video. For those who saw the contest, it was the video with the guy spinning around.

I was also so happy to see my History of Anime and Too Loud! (Day Oh Trigun video) shown during the convention. The convention was a blast. Congradulations to the winners.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:59 pm

I'd really love to know what got shown and what didn't...I sent in a brand-new vid for the contest and I was wondering if it had actually gotten in or not.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:04 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:Best Technical: Forgot will update later
Best video title ever!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

shonen_jidai
Org Profile

Post by shonen_jidai » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:38 pm

CorpseGoddess wrote:I'd really love to know what got shown and what didn't...I sent in a brand-new vid for the contest and I was wondering if it had actually gotten in or not.
Same here. I had a lot of fun making the video, but it would be nice to know if anyone there got to see it since I could not attend myself.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:59 pm

Updated with finalists

BtW just so everyone knows, action is a ridiculous catagory in this contest, one that I have often considered removing in the past. The number of entries in this catagory has never once exceeded FIVE. Generally speaking nobody ever enters action videos in yaoicon and hence it is part of the reason I've never been able to streamline the contest into specific catagories and leave the voting freeform due to the imbalence of entries

Generally everybody submits in romance or drama with a modestly decent number in comedy.

I don't think requalifying action as "sex" would be a good idea due to two problems. 1. the stye of a "sex" video could be anything from comedic, to romantic, to completely off the wall - due to audience preferences this puts an immediate edge to "funny sex" videos; furthermore I think the audience would be confused as to what videos with "sex" qualify in this catagory. 2. Since this is a highly contrasting definition of "action" it would also confuse a lot of editors and now I'd be getting action entires that don't fit that definition that I don't know what to do with and possibly a lack of entries in the catagory alltogether.

I've tried streamlining in the past and it's a mess. This year I organized the entries to play in order of catagory without telling the audience in order to try to keep it simple (I get some of the strangest videos nominated for some of the strangest things normally) and based on the tally of votes this has made things a whole lot easier. However that does not stop certain entries from winning in catagories they were not entered in.

i.e. Neither the action nor the romance winner won in the catagory they were actually entered in. Not that this bothers me but this will at least give you a somewhat better idea of how the prelim judging and showing is set up.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “AMV Contests”