AnimeVegas 2008 AMV Contest Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

AnimeVegas 2008 AMV Contest Winners

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:31 pm

apparently no one knew about this contest, but i last minutedly decided to go to Anime Vegas this passed weekend and saw the contest. this is copied off the AnimeVegas.com forum.
Action

1st place - Absolute Zero
2nd place - Invincible
3rd place - Gurren Some Mo'

Drama

1st place - LelouchXCC
2nd place - Dead or Alive
3rd place - When You Were Young

Comedy

1st place - The Obligatory AMV HELL-esque AMV For The Comedy Category For This AMV Contest
2nd place - Naruto - Tunak Tunak Tun
3rd place - Roy Mustang is a Superstar

Brakus
Org Profile

Re: AnimeVegas 2008 AMV Contest Winners

Post by Brakus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:27 pm

I regret that I couldn't stay until Monday for the end of the convention - I had to fly back to the East Coast on Monday morning. If I had placed in the contest, I wouldn't have been able to collect my prizes. However, I did see my video being played on Saturday, and I was satisfied with the reaction it got. :)

Well, what can I say - small convention, small contest. At least it was nice!
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

fusean
Org Profile

Post by fusean » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm actually looking for a video from this contest and was wondering if it is up on a-m-v.org

It's the exhibition video from drama the Claymore one that use's Flyleaf's (All Around Me) and I think the AMV is called I Feel Your Presence.

Just wanted to see if I can get a version of it to watch on my PC...<3

maybe a list of what was shown would be cool..xd and the people that made them...=)

Kayura
Org Profile

Post by Kayura » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:35 am

The judge of the contest and his helper were also entered in the contest. They won in every category, go figure. Including an overwhelming landslide victory in the comedy category. There was a lot of controversy surrounding this contest. There was even mention of someone stealing a video and entering it with a new title screen.

Entrants were forced to attend or be disqualified. The Claymore video was awesome and wasn't allowed to compete, because it most likely would have won. Hopefully next year there won't be the same judges.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:32 am

Kayura wrote:The judge of the contest and his helper were also entered in the contest. They won in every category, go figure. Including an overwhelming landslide victory in the comedy category. There was a lot of controversy surrounding this contest. There was even mention of someone stealing a video and entering it with a new title screen.

Entrants were forced to attend or be disqualified. The Claymore video was awesome and wasn't allowed to compete, because it most likely would have won. Hopefully next year there won't be the same judges.
I flew to Las Vegas for Labor Day weekend... I stayed at Bally's (fully comped, thankyouverymuch) and took the monorail to the convention. Shall I say, Anime Vegas was very underwhelming, and this is despite that 3-4 of my favorite English dub actors were there. No game room. Smallish dealer's room. Maid cafe was OK, though. However, reading about this makes me just go -- WOW. The kicker? On-site registration for all three days -- the only badge available -- was $60. I truly can't justify that price for such a small convention. Otakon I can understand. Anime Vegas? No, especially considering Anime Vegas was being held at the hotel next door to the convention center, and not the convention center itself.

I entered my Otakon video in the contest. The whole entering thing was a mess, too. Since there was no official entry form, I put a text file with all the pertinent information about my video on the CD, as well as a hard copy on paper sent with my CD. The coordinator then asks me to e-mail him a text file of the info. I kindly suggested that he use the information I had provided him on the CD, in the hard copy, and in a previous e-mail I sent him. Then he e-mails me back, INSISTING that I "should put all that info in a text file and everything with all the info that's enclosed on the website that has the rules with it or else the video will be disqualified." Really not wanting to argue with him further, I did what he told me, adding that "this arguing over this requirement for a text file attachment is quite silly if you ask me." Ugggggh.

I did get to see my video shown at Anime Vegas, and it got a very nicely favorable reaction from the crowd. It disheartens me to hear that the coordinators entered their own videos and unsurprisingly won in their categories. It disheartened me even more that almost every video entered (in my category at least) looked like complete and utter ass -- I mean, worse than the worst YouTue quality.

I guess I have to chalk this one up to experience and dealing with AMV coordinators that have less than a clue as to how such a contest should be run.... (Speaking of which, I *never* *did* get my prize from Fan Expo Canada from 2005 for my Spriggan video....)
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:56 am

i'll have to agree the contest clearly lacked professionalism. then again i'm comparing to the most recent AX held in the Nokia theatre ;) shabang!

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:45 am

So I was staffing at Anime Vegas that weekend, made some videos for the contest and had access to all the votes... :roll:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Castor Troy wrote:So I was staffing at Anime Vegas that weekend, made some videos for the contest and had access to all the votes... :roll:
Curious if you knew anything bout my video being plagiarized. My almost 2 year old Cowboy Bebop AMV, it's linked in Rider's post.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:53 pm

Ryvannis wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:So I was staffing at Anime Vegas that weekend, made some videos for the contest and had access to all the votes... :roll:
Curious if you knew anything bout my video being plagiarized. My almost 2 year old Cowboy Bebop AMV, it's linked in Rider's post.
I downloaded this Bebop video that was really cool, so I decided to put my name on it and entered the contest with it.... oh... :x

I'm joking in my posts btw, I never went to Anime Vegas or staffed there. Although I was in Vegas the week before.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:45 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Ryvannis wrote:
I downloaded this Bebop video that was really cool, so I decided to put my name on it and entered the contest with it.... oh... :x

I'm joking in my posts btw, I never went to Anime Vegas or staffed there. Although I was in Vegas the week before.
Lmao... |:>

Return to “AMV Contests”