Otakon 2008 AMV Contest Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:12 am

Rinny wrote: Oops, please let me clarify. I letterboxed it into 4:3, but no letterboxing was shown in the screening. So what should have been 16:9 came out as 4:3 anyway, which leads me to believe everything was re-encoded to be uniform.
I'm watching your video now and there is no letterboxing. You must have sent in the wrong encode. Bad Rinny. No cookie.

The lag was because the video was being passed through our scaler, which has a 40ms delay, and then through DSL's scaler which should add an additional delay, but on the same token I'm fairly sure their model compensates and delays the audio as well, so the largest actual delay should have been 40ms, or appx. 1-2 frames depending on the framerate. There's also environmental lag that we really can't compensate for, as it actually takes a measurable amount of time for the sound to travel to certain parts of the room. I can't do anything about that, but I'm looking into correcting the lag at the equipment level, hopefully in time for AUSA. I just need to put aside $5K that I won't miss. Anyone want an autographed VicBond007 kidney?
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

SecondChild
Org Profile

Post by SecondChild » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:38 am

VicBond007 wrote:
Rinny wrote: Oops, please let me clarify. I letterboxed it into 4:3, but no letterboxing was shown in the screening. So what should have been 16:9 came out as 4:3 anyway, which leads me to believe everything was re-encoded to be uniform.
I'm watching your video now and there is no letterboxing. You must have sent in the wrong encode. Bad Rinny. No cookie.

The lag was because the video was being passed through our scaler, which has a 40ms delay, and then through DSL's scaler which should add an additional delay, but on the same token I'm fairly sure their model compensates and delays the audio as well, so the largest actual delay should have been 40ms, or appx. 1-2 frames depending on the framerate. There's also environmental lag that we really can't compensate for, as it actually takes a measurable amount of time for the sound to travel to certain parts of the room. I can't do anything about that, but I'm looking into correcting the lag at the equipment level, hopefully in time for AUSA. I just need to put aside $5K that I won't miss. Anyone want an autographed VicBond007 kidney?
LOL, go ask John Locke's father... [/Lost nerd]

It's all good, Vic, I was just asking because during my entire video screening I was horrified like "Oh my god! It looks terrible! I hate myself and want to die!" LOL. As you are well aware, I'm sure, we are all our own worst critics. XD

Thanks for an awesome contest, Vic. Being a part of it really helped make this the best Otakon EVAR for me.
"Take the mask off from your head/You don't know where you're being lead."

- Aaron B. (TSC)

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:01 am

VicBond007 wrote:Anyone want an autographed VicBond007 kidney?
If you search Newegg, maybe you'll only have to pay half? *loves newegg* But yeah, you and Alan worked your butts off. I'm sure you collapsed Sunday night (or I hope you did).
SecondChild wrote:Thanks for an awesome contest, Vic. Being a part of it really helped make this the best Otakon EVAR for me.
While this year's Katsucon far and away is the best con experience I've ever had, the AMV contest here was the most enjoyable contest for me since I've been going to Otakon (missed 2003). It really saved Otakon as a whole for me. There just wasn't much to do. And honestly, Iron Editor was about the only place I went where I could feel real con spirit, so I'm really glad I ditched masquerade this year for it (though I missed that amazing Link flutist, but I'm sure she'll be you.tubed).

Anybody booked for next year already? The Hyatt is immensely cheaper than in the past...and they gave me 5 cards this year, no fuss no muss 8-) .

Shinjuku
Org Profile

Post by Shinjuku » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:09 am

Hey, I really liked the song from In The Sunshine. I just can't find the title or artist. Can anybody help me out?

BTW CONGRATS to Everybody. The AMV contest ruled.

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:17 am

Shinjuku wrote:Hey, I really liked the song from In The Sunshine. I just can't find the title or artist. Can anybody help me out?

BTW CONGRATS to Everybody. The AMV contest ruled.
"Sunshine" by Atmosphere.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Rinny
Org Profile

Post by Rinny » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:16 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
I'm watching the file I sent you right now. There's letterboxing. It would have actually been impossible to send you a copy without it, because in order to simulate the 16:9 I worked with clips that were 720x405. So when trying to create an mpeg2, there's no way it would have let me.

Not saying you're lying, but--are you watching it on your tv? Does your tv automatically compensate for that or something?

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:43 pm

Rinny wrote: I'm watching the file I sent you right now. There's letterboxing. It would have actually been impossible to send you a copy without it, because in order to simulate the 16:9 I worked with clips that were 720x405. So when trying to create an mpeg2, there's no way it would have let me.

Not saying you're lying, but--are you watching it on your tv? Does your tv automatically compensate for that or something?
Yup. You're right. I was watching on my media server because I am too fat and lazy to hook my real computer back up since getting back from Otakon, and I had letterbox detection/removal turned on. The mpeg2 is letterboxed, which means that it was letterboxed at the con. However, it appears that when you encoded, you told tmpegenc that your source aspect was 4:3 instead of 1:1, and because of that, the footage is not letterboxed down enough (720x405 = 1:1, 720x360 = 4:3 compensated). I have never seen Death Note, so I assumed that the characters were just drawn that way to begin with.

Rinny
Org Profile

Post by Rinny » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:54 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
Rinny wrote: I'm watching the file I sent you right now. There's letterboxing. It would have actually been impossible to send you a copy without it, because in order to simulate the 16:9 I worked with clips that were 720x405. So when trying to create an mpeg2, there's no way it would have let me.

Yup. You're right. I was watching on my media server because I am too fat and lazy to hook my real computer back up since getting back from Otakon, and I had letterbox detection/removal turned on. The mpeg2 is letterboxed, which means that it was letterboxed at the con. However, it appears that when you encoded, you told tmpegenc that your source aspect was 4:3 instead of 1:1, and because of that, the footage is not letterboxed down enough (720x405 = 1:1, 720x360 = 4:3 compensated). I have never seen Death Note, so I assumed that the characters were just drawn that way to begin with.
Well the footage looked right on screen, but I thought maybe the sides had been cut off a bit. I don't know. Doesn't matter now, though :)

SecondChild
Org Profile

Post by SecondChild » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:24 pm

VicBond007 wrote:I have never seen Death Note...
Vic... you must correct this. =0
"Take the mask off from your head/You don't know where you're being lead."

- Aaron B. (TSC)

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 pm

VicBond007 wrote: The mpeg2 is letterboxed, which means that it was letterboxed at the con. However, it appears that when you encoded, you told tmpegenc that your source aspect was 4:3 instead of 1:1, and because of that, the footage is not letterboxed down enough (720x405 = 1:1, 720x360 = 4:3 compensated). I have never seen Death Note, so I assumed that the characters were just drawn that way to begin with.
I heard my AMV Critical Mass was displayed incorrectly as well? I am pretty sure I submitted in 4:3 with letterboxing, but i forget, it was a while ago, when i submitted my amv. Can anyone confirm? Wanna make sure that if there was a problem, that I fix it for coming years.
Image Image

Return to “AMV Contests”