Any advice with American airline companies?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Douggie
CHEESECAKE!
Org Profile

Any advice with American airline companies?

Post by Douggie » Wed May 28, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm close to ordering a plane ticket for AWA and I was wondering about the quality of airline companies. From what I've seen the difference between the cheapest and the second-cheapest is 100 EUROs and then another 200 for the third-cheapest. The choices are American Airlines, Continental and Northwest (which merged with Delta from what I understand) in the order from cheap to more expensive.

I don't really care about airline food and foot space, because that's stuff I'll survive anyway. I am concerned about lost luggage, delayed/cancelled flights and bad ticket administration and such. Because the difference of 100 or 300 EUROs is quite a lot (I can buy an XBox 360 with that money! or a Wii!).

Any experiences or horror stories on any of these 3 airline companies?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm

I've had my cheap ass bags tore to hell by both AA and Continental.... but I had cheap ass bags.... if you have good sturdy ones you should be okay..

for short trips such as a con I usually only do carry ons... that way I'm in charge of how much destruction my bags go through, however if you are staying in the states longer than just the con you might want more luggage...

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed May 28, 2008 6:01 pm

Are you definitely flying on an American carrier? Cause I'd actually suggest not taking that :P They're all in a bad situation recently. If I were flying from Europe to America or vice versa, I would probably be flying Finnair, KLM or Czech Airlines. I would probably NOT be flying Air France, Lufthansa or British Airways. But I'd rather fly those 3 than any of the American carriers.

Generally speaking flying into Atlanta is always problematic, the airport there is very overloaded and is notorious for delays and luggage problems, but I guess you don't have much choice there. It's generally advised that if you fly through the US, you avoid Atlanta and Chicago (lol, ironic considering where the cons are).
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed May 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Avoid LAX like its the plague... I hate that airport O.o

Nessephanie
Cookie Monster
Org Profile

Post by Nessephanie » Wed May 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Otohiko wrote:It's generally advised that if you fly through the US, you avoid Atlanta and Chicago (lol, ironic considering where the cons are).
Bah Chicago is fine. (I assume we're talking O'Hare) It's not a complicated airport it's just large. The layout is pretty straight forward though, just follow the signs >_>.
Especially if whoever is picking you up knows their way around.

With all my flights in the last three years in the states (flying into Atlanta and Chicago both) I've never had any problems on any of the airlines I've flown. (Alaska, Delta and United) Maybe I've just been lucky. Once I had a three hour delay flying out of Chicago, but that was weather related.

(btw, are you flying into Chicago and driving down with us? (Brad, Jay and all of us) or are you flying directly into Atlanta? I can't remember hehe :3)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed May 28, 2008 7:57 pm

O'Hare has problems more because of the weather than anything else - storms go through there and cause delays almost constantly. Then they're so packed that getting back on schedule is a pain in the ass.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed May 28, 2008 8:01 pm

In all honesty you'd be safer taking a fishermans boat. USofA airline companies dont give a shit about you or your luggage, they just want your money.

Though im speaking from our experiences.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Coffee 54
Org Profile

Post by Coffee 54 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 pm

I just got back from a lovely little trip to Colorado and I picked up two little gems of advice in the process.

1) Don't fly on little planes over mountains.
Turbulance was so bad I thought I was going to throw-up... big time. Although everyone else on the plane seemed fine, which just made me mad. :x
Little Plane + Mountains = Sick and Mad

2) If your checking a bag, use TSA approved locks.
I got home and found my cute little luggage lock in two pieces stuffed into the top pocket, with a note from our friends at homeland security reminding me to use only TSA approved locks... You know, so they can root through my stuff without having to break it. I am so inconsiderate. :cry:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed May 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Eva-Fan wrote:In all honesty you'd be safer taking a fishermans boat. USofA airline companies dont give a shit about you or your luggage, they just want your money.

Though im speaking from our experiences.
Wait, are you implying there are businesses within multi-billion dollar industries with extremely-high barriers to entry who's position is almost that of a commodity in terms of importance that actually care about people?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed May 28, 2008 8:54 pm

speaking of TSA be sure to look up all the rules on liquids and other items allowed on the plane/carry on... or just buy your shampoo/toothpaste etc at your destination because you are only allowed travel size products in a 1 quart zip lock bag in the usa... make sure you put them in the ziplock too..

Return to “General Discussion”