Sakura-Con 2008 Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:00 am

Finally made a video worthy of being called a comedy :D ... That's what happens when you hang around Doki Doki too long....

Congrats to all the winners, the contest was awesome and there were a lot of great videos this year! I happy Roy won the Tsunami Jones Award...

Vlad

Dark Lord of Debate
Org Profile

Post by Dark Lord of Debate » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:00 am

Very cool. Do they happen to give out placings beyond first? This is the first time I've actually had a video accepted into a contest and would like to know how well my video "Hand of Sorrow" did in the drama category. Any chance of finding out complete rankings?

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:06 am

I got a Technical Award? Wha??? WHA???

EHHH???

:shock:

Much congrats to all, it looks like it was a fun time. ^_^

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:37 pm

DriftRoot wrote:I got a Technical Award? Wha??? WHA???

EHHH???

Yea, The audiance sure loved yours too!

Vlad

Melichan923
Org Profile

Post by Melichan923 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:44 pm

Those really are some amazing videos! :shock: They definitely deserved to win. Congratulations, everyone! :)
Image Image

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
DriftRoot wrote:I got a Technical Award? Wha??? WHA???

EHHH???

Yea, The audiance sure loved yours too!

Vlad
I can imagine and I'm very glad! I am sooo glad people get a big kick out of it. :D

Can someone explain to me how I won the technical award, though? Were the other videos in the competition devoid of special "extras" or something? I get criticized a lot for the technical aspects of 'Bustin - it's amateurish, it's "off," it's not as complex as it looks - so I'm REALLY scratching my head over this. :? I can't blame it on the audience, either. hehe

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:34 pm

Of course

The Technical Award and the Judges Awards are voted upon by secret ballot by the screening panel, all they do is write on the back of their screening form the id number of the videos they are casting their vote for, for each of those 2 top awards
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:09 pm

No, I meant, what is the technical award all about: quality editing? special effects use? exceptional synch? All of the above? My AMV is not very technically savvy ('cept maybe for some of the graphics themselves, but that was the easy part, truth be told), so that's why I'm trying to figure out what the judges were evaluating, exactly.

Sorry for questioning this, it's awesome to receive this award, but I am truly surprised and befuddled. If I knew what criteria they were using to decide who got the award then hopefully I can rationalize this turn of events. :lol:

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:51 pm

TaranT wrote:Now both Vlad and dW have Best of Show awards.
Will the rivalry never cease? :roll:
Rivarly? Nah he's too old for any sort of real competition :P. Also who would beat up their dad?

..oh wait, I've done it at Otakon BURNNNNNNNNNNNN :P
TaranT wrote:So it's 2-to-1. This could get interesting....
And in my defense :P, I've only submitted to Sakuracon once (even though I really like how they do things).

I vote you change the name of TJ's award to the "I JUST CAN'T STOP EATING" award. It's basically the same thing :P.

In any case, to get back on topic, congrats to the winners. I look forward to watching dad's video as well as a few others.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Erudito
Org Profile

Post by Erudito » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:38 pm

This was a great experience. I'm still having trouble believing I won, I still feel so inexperienced. That aside, this was one of the best contests in terms of quality I've seen in awhile.

I had two things I wanted to mention.
1. Does anyone have the link to the website for the "Oh oh oh Sexy Vampire" group?
2. I thought Bustin' was a great video it had a good mix of action and humor. More than that I've always been told that the most basic camera tricks are the best. What you did may not have been super complex, but it was visually pleasing, funny, and made Bustin' one of my favorite videos in the contest and this is coming from a person who hates Advent Children videos, heck I can't stand Final Fantasy videos in general.

That's just my opinion, I might be wrong.

Can't wait for next year!
This is how I see things:
A bad AMV makes it look easy
A good AMV makes it look fun
A great AMV makes it look hard
However, the best AMVs make it look impossible

Return to “AMV Contests”