2008 Judge's Choice Awards - Aftermath/Suggestions/Comments

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

2008 Judge's Choice Awards - Aftermath/Suggestions/Comments

Post by Koopiskeva » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Hey there guys,

Now that the 2008 Judge's Choice Awards have now ended. I'd like to know people's thoughts on it - any aspect of it really. I'd like to know how to make it better for next year and to gain even more interest as an official contest of sorts.

Please post your thoughts here so I can look them over and possibly be able to address issues which may or may not have existed, or just suggestions on how to make it better for next year.

Generally though I'd like to see the following:
- More participation
- Perhaps a larger judging panel? 10?
- Bigger party?

|: ?
Hi.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:56 pm

More Gaytorade.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:57 pm

inthesto wrote:More Gaytorade.
X2

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:02 pm

It's off to a good start. I'd second the notion for a larger judging panel, if only because it would give a better sampling and add in a little more diversity. I dug most of the winners, but except for one, it was all stuff I'd seen before. And this was one of the years where I barely kept up with videos except for the AWA showings. So it'd be nice to see a few new videos in the mix, because I'm sure there are worthy non-mainstream picks out there also. Maybe expanding it beyond just the VCA semifinalist list would help things a bit.

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:11 pm

IcyCloud wrote:Maybe expanding it beyond just the VCA semifinalist list would help things a bit.
The list actually included 2 videos from each judge that they were allowed to 'add' to any category. So, a total of 10 more videos aside from those in the semi-finalists - which already had an average of about 20 per category. Which was quite a bit of videos that the judges could choose from.
Hi.

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:06 pm

If you keep doing this, you should probably have a max number of times someone can be a judge.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:02 pm

I hope that there will be again and bigger JCAs next year. Cool stuff.

Thx to Koop for organising and thx to the judges for theire time!
Last edited by Bauzi on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Darius GQ
Org Profile

Post by Darius GQ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:02 pm

....I didn't like this competition in general....
Truly, the idea is GREAT but the realization of it is not perfect.
I am not satisfied with judges or experts discussion. There were people who know each other well and, excuse me, they have easily pushed up their proteges & friends…(nothing personal. It is my opinion and feelings only)....
btw - how Godix could became a judge?! he is the most subjective son of the bitch I've ever seen.... this is the BIGGEST BulLSHIT of the year.....

What I have suggested to change in next year:

1) the judge or expert cannot be the person, who takes part in competition as a clip creator;

2)to invite or choose 6 judges or experts from the different countries. It seems to me would be more fair...

....And now I do not consider the JCA is more objective competition than VCA…
sorry Koop, but this year JCA<VCA

"Video of the Year - Daydream" - :up:

Illia Sadri
Org Profile

Post by Illia Sadri » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:25 pm

I will second is that it is hard to give credit when many if the winning videos were by people who did participate in judging. It gives the feeling of it being ultimately an insular group dominating.

Basically, people will know one another and thus it is impossible to eliminate that factor, but people in the semifinals should not be involved in voting. Get respectable people who do not have a video participating to judge. I also agree with just a larger sampling simply to encompass different views of what makes a good video.

I also agree with expanding it from the VCA semifinalists (even as a dominant basis) because ultimately lets be honest in that it is a name game. Poeple nominate the names that are well known and vote for those they know. While many if the videos in the VCA finals are very good, there are many others that are not given quite the same attention partially because the editor is lesser known and might not submit to the major contests. I am all for giving those videos opportunities as well to compete.

the idea is certainly sound and I like having a counter to the VCA's (which I typically strongly disagree with most of the winners), but I do feel that there is a bit of refining to do on the matter. Of course asking alone so soon after is one of the best signs for this.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:54 pm

Not to agree or disagree, but instead to clarify...

Those with a video in the semifinals and who were also a judge for the JCAs were NOT allowed to vote for the category their video was in.

for example, AtomX was NOT allowed to vote for sentimental or romance etc.

This is more of an argument for a larger judge pool though, so that if some judges are eliminated because the have a video in any one category, than the votes don't become too concentrated on a few votes.

The larger the population sample the closer one becomes to the true mean</statistics>

Return to “AMV Contests”