BOXX DV Editing System

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:39 pm

I *could* make it cheaper.. moi hahaha..

If you don't want to struggle with building it or look down on using XP's instead of MPs, Quadro hacks.....hehehee...err stuff like that...

Of course possibly I could build a legit system for slightly cheaper then that one, but I'd rather use cheaper components and have enuf left over for a DC1000/2000.... ;)

~klinky

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:21 am

klinky wrote:Of course possibly I could build a legit system for slightly cheaper than that one, but I'd rather use cheaper components and have enuf left over for a DC1000/2000....
We figured you could build the system yourself using the same components and still be able to get a DC2000. The BOXX is about 1/3 overpriced (if you don't count the value of a 3-year warranty). Only if they throw in a 19" flat-panel is it worth the $4000.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:27 am

I used BOXX systems back in college... I didn't like them. The metal ornamentation of the cases can be quite painful. :shock:

(Yes, that's the <I>only</I> reason to not like them that comes to mind...)

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:46 am

jbone wrote:I used BOXX systems back in college... I didn't like them. The metal ornamentation of the cases can be quite painful. :shock:

(Yes, that's the <I>only</I> reason to not like them that comes to mind...)
Banging my head on the PC case has never helped me, either :wink: .

My only problem with the BOXX is the price. I was only looking at it as a reference for dual-CPU systems. Still can't decide if my next upgrade will center on dual-CPU or dual monitor. I don't know which is more cost effective for video editing.

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:46 pm

All good and well, you can build a system for less, but I wouldn't save my money for a DC1000 or DC2000 because they don't make them any more. Or even support them for that matter. I'm stuck with one that has worthless drivers and am looking to get something else. Not sure what to get though.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:08 am

I was looking @ the DC1000 mainly since you can import mpeg2 directly and do realtime effects on it. It looks as though the DV500 can do this also with the newest software.

I did check out Pinnacle's website and I can't find the DC1000/2000 listed in their products list, so you may be correct that they're not making it anymore, however there are still drivers for win98/me/2k.

I would hardly call it a worthless card tho.

~klinky

Return to “Hardware Discussion”