Sailor Moon

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Sereenie
Org Profile

Post by Sereenie » Thu May 10, 2007 11:21 am

Any specific reason?

S.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu May 10, 2007 12:08 pm

I'm pretty surprised about all these licensing issues today. I mean I followed this whole thing with interest a few years back, when SM was still a prime license - but today it's far from. Hopefully the licensing fees and the protectiveness of their holders will come down soon enough, I would be really surprised if it's actually making them any money (in Japan or North America) as it stands right now.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Thu May 10, 2007 5:24 pm

Sereenie wrote:Any specific reason?

S.
Supposedly, Toei wouldn't let them do it because the Japanese would import our DVDs instead of buying the domestic ones. Can you really blame them though?

It's kind like how Toei wouldn't let certain stuff be on our Dragon Ball DVDs.

kikai_saigono
Org Profile

Post by kikai_saigono » Thu May 10, 2007 5:31 pm

I bought Star Series from Fandom. It wasn't a subbed version, Jap. dub only. And while it was a little confusing at times at what had gone on, I believe it's the closest to the manga Sailor Moon would ever get. Considering the kind of start Sailor Moon had. :/
Youtuber wrote:What is an MEP exactly? I looked it up but I don't think it has anything to do with being a Member of the European Parliament.

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Thu May 10, 2007 5:46 pm

kikai_saigono wrote:I bought Star Series from Fandom. It wasn't a subbed version, Jap. dub only. And while it was a little confusing at times at what had gone on, I believe it's the closest to the manga Sailor Moon would ever get. Considering the kind of start Sailor Moon had. :/
I heard it's a big departure from the manga *cough* Starlights *cough* *cough* Sailor Cosmos *cough*.

Sereenie
Org Profile

Post by Sereenie » Fri May 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Kumatora wrote:Supposedly, Toei wouldn't let them do it because the Japanese would import our DVDs instead of buying the domestic ones. Can you really blame them though?
Then they should provide us with vanilla version as they did for the first two seasons. With no extras, there would be no point in them importing such a version since their already is much better.

Plus, as Otohiko said, it's hardly as hot a product as it used to be. They wouldn't lose that much sales, if any.

S.

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Sat May 12, 2007 10:54 am

Sereenie wrote:
Kumatora wrote:Supposedly, Toei wouldn't let them do it because the Japanese would import our DVDs instead of buying the domestic ones. Can you really blame them though?
Then they should provide us with vanilla version as they did for the first two seasons. With no extras, there would be no point in them importing such a version since their already is much better.

Plus, as Otohiko said, it's hardly as hot a product as it used to be. They wouldn't lose that much sales, if any.

S.
What's a vanilla version?

Sereenie
Org Profile

Post by Sereenie » Tue May 15, 2007 2:53 pm

A basic version, with no frills, no extras whatsoever. Just like they did for the uncensored first two seasons. They look like crap, but at least, they are/were available!

S.

Katrina
Org Profile

Post by Katrina » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:35 pm

Sereenie wrote:A basic version, with no frills, no extras whatsoever. Just like they did for the uncensored first two seasons. They look like crap, but at least, they are/were available!

S.
It's hard to say if such a version would sell, since that's exactly what the bootlegs are. (Not promoting them in any way, mind you, but let's face it, most people who want Stars on DVD have them.)

There were some nice fandubs going around at one point, but most of them died. :(

Sereenie
Org Profile

Post by Sereenie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:41 am

Well, AFAIK, the uncensored first two seasons sold pretty well. You can't find them anymore, I think. And that's in spite of the series already being available back when that came out AND the hefty price tag.

And I like to think I'm not the only person who buys official versions of fansubbed series when those official versions finally come out.

(FTR: I do not own fansubs of Stars!)

S.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”