I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:09 am

Rider4Z wrote:would it be practical to create a new category that recognizes subtle uses of effects? meaning videos that disguise their use of effects giving the illusion of raw footage - as opposed to the obviously altered special effects videos, examples being compared to

there are so many videos where effects were intentionally inconspicuous and got overlooked :( i mean, that's the sign of a good editor, right? when you don't even notice they changed something right away? i don't think these should fall under the same category as shiny AMVs where special effects are more the star of the video than the animation itself.

or is this an even more subjective can of worms?

Sadly, I'd say that's incredibly subjective D: Both of the videos you mentioned have (in my opinion) INCREDIBLY blatant effects work that doesn't appear disguised at all.
Plus a category like that would open it up to all videos in the catalog and with the way most people vote (voting for what they recognize, not what actually fits) it would turn into a mess.

The best thing I can recommend is that if you've got a video that you feel should win it, get out and campaign for it. Right now the most active thread is the "Shameless Self Promotions" where as the rest of the categories haven't even hit 2 pages yet. It used to be that people would choose sides and make silly competing advertisements to try and generate hype for the videos/editors they thought should win. If you have what you honestly believe to be a gem then grab a megaphone and get the word out.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:59 am

Radical_Yue wrote:Because most voters just select videos they recognize on the list as opposed to selecting videos based on if they actually think it should win the category or not, it's lead to some results causing arguments on both sides.
You sound like that isn't how most of the votes are done for EVERY category. No effects was just one of the elephants in the room - now we'll only have to get by on First Video, New Editor, Most Improved, Most Helpful, and Best Parody, and occasionally some of those aren't as obviously blatant.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:51 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:Because most voters just select videos they recognize on the list as opposed to selecting videos based on if they actually think it should win the category or not, it's lead to some results causing arguments on both sides.
You sound like that isn't how most of the votes are done for EVERY category. No effects was just one of the elephants in the room - now we'll only have to get by on First Video, New Editor, Most Improved, Most Helpful, and Best Parody, and occasionally some of those aren't as obviously blatant.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I do believe that's how it is in every category. That's why I make it my personal mission to check the biggest problem categories like rookie, first video, etc. Just as I did last year. Luckily I'll have Replay helping me this time around so we WILL make sure that if people are just choosing videos they recognize then they will be videos that actually belong in their category.

Read the rest of my previous response about how we filtered No Effects. We do the exact same thing for the other problem categories.

Also, I hate responding to posts from my phone. Autocorrect can fuck itself.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:07 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
It'd be quicker just talk to both of the voters about what the categories mean. :lol:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:01 pm

the above video isn't showing up in the action category, even though it is eligible...

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 am

irriadin wrote:the above video isn't showing up in the action category, even though it is eligible...
The system was set up so MEPs don't show up in the regular categories, so that 40-editor projects don't compete against solo projects. I know this one is only 3, but that was the original rationale.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:35 am

dokidoki wrote:
irriadin wrote:the above video isn't showing up in the action category, even though it is eligible...
The system was set up so MEPs don't show up in the regular categories, so that 40-editor projects don't compete against solo projects. I know this one is only 3, but that was the original rationale.
I'm guessing the way the system figures things out is...

1 editor = standard
2 editors = collab
3 editors+ = MEP

I really see the video as more a collab than an MEP, particularly because of the way it was edited. In the future, I'd like to suggest changing the definition of an MEP to be a bit less rigid. , for example, would be seen as an MEP if entered properly into the a-m-v.org catalog, when it is clearly not an MEP in the strict definition of the term. In fact... that video won "best character profile" despite having three editors... were they given a special exception, or were the rules just different back then?

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:46 pm

irriadin wrote:
dokidoki wrote:
I'm guessing the way the system figures things out is...

1 editor = standard
2 editors = collab
3 editors+ = MEP

I really see the video as more a collab than an MEP, particularly because of the way it was edited. In the future, I'd like to suggest changing the definition of an MEP to be a bit less rigid. , for example, would be seen as an MEP if entered properly into the a-m-v.org catalog, when it is clearly not an MEP in the strict definition of the term. In fact... that video won "best character profile" despite having three editors... were they given a special exception, or were the rules just different back then?

We've recently clarified the way the system works in the last year. "Three is a crowd" and therefore an MEP, not a collab.

The only reason a video that is actually an MEP and not a collab would be treated like a collab is because the administration wasn't checking into things like they should have been. The same way S.A. Robert was Rookie of the Year when he is far from it.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Fair enough, fair enough...

Now I just want to vote for Goddess of Destruction in action and I can't. Please fix so I can share my love of harsh growly vocals and people getting decapitated

Seriously though... this should be eligible. It wasn't eligible last year...

Centurione
Org Profile

Post by Centurione » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:39 am

Well, actually, I'm wondering, why isn't lolli in Rookie of the Year and Best First Video? I can't see any way in which he wouldn't get to finals in these and I can't see him on the list.

Return to “2014 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”