Project Editor Exit Survey

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Re: Project Editor Exit Survey

Post by Rendakor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:41 pm

Question #1: If you could have one major change in this contest (anything is fair game), what would it be? If you could keep any one thing about this contest the same, what would it be?

I would get rid of the bonus points; each round's videos should be evaluated on their own merit. You end up with a rich get richer scenario, where the good editors don't have to try as hard because their scores are being padded. For an example of why bonus points are dumb, we have a tie in the finale because of them.

Question #2: From here on out, I will be letting the contestants and viewers to submit themes that will be used in future OrgEditor contests. Therefore, if you could have any theme(s) added to our contest, what would it(they) be? Keep in mind that themes should be capable of being done within a week's time and themes involving more than one person is not always the best idea. You may submit as many ideas as you want, but I reserve the right to "trim" certain themes or alter them slightly to be more editor-friendly.

I don't have any specific suggestions for themes, but when prepping for next year I'd suggest grouping themes into "broad" and "strict" or something similar. That way you can easily alternate between broad and strict, instead of giving us two very broad categories (seasons and distant future) back to back, followed by an incredibly restrictive one.

Question #3: Do you feel as though the judging critera is fair, or should there be a re-write?

I feel the judges need stricter guidelines on objectivity as seen in the numerous arguments early on in the contest. Displaying the scores individually by category helps a lot, since it forces the judges to justify why they're giving a really good or really bad score.

Regarding the specific judging criteria, Audio/Video and Editing/Sync are both fine. I'm not sure we need Theme and Concept categories though; your video's concept should be an extension of the round's theme. If you make a video that had an excellent concept but didn't match the theme AT ALL you should just be DQ'd instead of getting a 20 Concept/0 Theme so I'd probably just roll those two categories together. Overall is another highly subjective category, and to me should just represent an average of the above. I realize it lets the judges weight videos in cases of "Everything is well done but I just didn't feel it" and "There were a lot of problems but it all came together well"; if that's the intended purpose of Overall let's just be honest and call it Opinion or some such. Basically my issue is that having 40% of the judging objective and 60% subjective allows way too much wiggle room and results in the wild score disparities between the various judges we've seen in this year and previous POE's.

Question #4: Did you feel as though you had (a) enough time to edit (b) too much time to edit (c) not near enough time to edit.

Enough time.

Question #5: How would you feel if deadlines were only on weekends and due during the daytime (around Noon-1PM).

I like the rotating deadlines. Having deadlines always on Saturday (for example) would either shorten editing time to ~5 days or create week-long breaks in between rounds, neither of which I'm in favor of. I've no opinion on the time of day entries are due.

Question #6: Is there anything you'd like to see added/removed from the subforum?

Something that would be cool is a fan-favorite vote each round in the form of a poll, and maybe another poll for contestant's favorite; nothing with prizes just something fun to do.

Question #7: Would you prefer that judging remains blind, or perhaps open up the gates and allow contestants to upload their entries to a-m-v.org once finished?

Blind judging.

Question #8: The following changes are being seriously considered for season 4. What are your opinions on these changes?

+ (Rule Addition) Utilization of any material from a previous AMVs without the owner's consent is a disqualifying offense.

I'd go so far as to say utilizing ANY material from a previous AMV should be grounds for DQ, with or without consent. The challenge of the contest is to edit a video within the timeline, and using pre-edited footage seems like cheating.

+ (Formatting Change) Changing the style from a 32 person tournament to a 64 person tournament, and utilizing a two-group system similar to "The Quickening", with the same elimination/theme standards as previous contests, just split in two. This will provide editors with a larger break (since only one group will edit at a time until the semifinals), and provide with more AMVs for the general public to watch/enjoy.

I don't like this one. If you want to add more people, go for it, but keep the level playing field: everyone competes against everyone on the same themes.

Question #9: Put anything not mentioned above that you want to talk about here.

Make sure all of the judges are able to submit their scores on time, every round. It's unfair (and stressful) to the editors to hold up the contest because a judge couldn't get their scores in on time; and for all the complaints about editors dropping we had at least two cases this POE of judges failing to submit scores for a round at all, including the FINALS.
Image Image

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:09 am

Rendakor wrote: Question #9: Put anything not mentioned above that you want to talk about here.

Make sure all of the judges are able to submit their scores on time, every round. It's unfair (and stressful) to the editors to hold up the contest because a judge couldn't get their scores in on time;
-adds on- And please no more extensions, Code. It's unfair to the editors who were already eliminated. :roll:
ImageImage

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 am

Kimberly wrote:
Rendakor wrote: Question #9: Put anything not mentioned above that you want to talk about here.

Make sure all of the judges are able to submit their scores on time, every round. It's unfair (and stressful) to the editors to hold up the contest because a judge couldn't get their scores in on time;
-adds on- And please no more extensions, Code. It's unfair to the editors who were already eliminated. :roll:
Judges who turn in scores late get eliminated :O
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:55 am

Question #1: If you could have one major change in this contest (anything is fair game), what would it be? If you could keep any one thing about this contest the same, what would it be?

The bonus point thing was a bit messed up IMO... Just judge videos on a round by round basis. It's the editors job to make something worth winning. If they can't do that then so be it.

Question #3: Do you feel as though the judging critera is fair, or should there be a re-write?

Yes but only if all the judges are on relatively the same page. The discussion we had during the first round explains my thoughts on this. Make sure the judges and participant clearly understand what the judging criteria is so the participants don't feel as if they are being unfairly judged because they used an "overused source". There is a bias towards and against certain sources and a disconnect about what is considered "original". I shouldn't be afraid to use a source because I know a judge is bias against it. I should be focusing on making what I want to make and knowing I'll be judged fairly.

Question #4: Did you feel as though you had (a) enough time to edit (b) too much time to edit (c) not near enough time to edit.

Personally, no. But that was my own ability to manage and understand the amount of time I would have. The only thing I would suggest is making sure the Judges are on time when submitting scores. Have a contingency plan in place incase one or more judges can't submit their scores... like having a handful of guest judges who you know can be available to judge on short notice. Stick to the schedule. When I entered in the past and this time, I look at when the rounds will be to make sure I will be available to edit during those times. In the past, we had extensions and I would not have been able to edit during the final round if I had actually finished my video and advanced.

Question #7: Would you prefer that judging remains blind, or perhaps open up the gates and allow contestants to upload their entries to a-m-v.org once finished?

Yes, keep it blind. As bad as source bias is, editor bias is much more prevalent and worse IMO.

xPauChan
Org Profile

Post by xPauChan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:50 am

Question #3: I find it pretty fair.

Question #4: a

Question #5: Well daytime = night for me because of timezones so it doesn't really matter, tbh though I prefer deadlines on week days ( weekends are horrendously busy for me )

Question #7: I like blind judging.

Question #8: The following changes are being seriously considered for season 4. What are your opinions on these changes?

+ (Rule Addition) Utilization of any material from a previous AMVs without the owner's consent is a disqualifying offense.

YES.

+ (Formatting Change) Changing the style from a 32 person tournament to a 64 person tournament, and utilizing a two-group system similar to "The Quickening", with the same elimination/theme standards as previous contests, just split in two. This will provide editors with a larger break (since only one group will edit at a time until the semifinals), and provide with more AMVs for the general public to watch/enjoy.

I think I pretty much like this one as well :3

SilverFreedoms
Org Profile

Post by SilverFreedoms » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:05 am

Oh and quick addition to mine

Eliminate the possibility to tie.(Especially on the final round)
Imaget had to be said: the world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrifice.

in Ayn Rand's _The Fountainhead

Iron Solari
OSHMKUFA2010
Org Profile

Post by Iron Solari » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:02 pm

SilverFreedoms wrote:Oh and quick addition to mine

"Some guy stuck a butter knife covered in peanut butter into my DvD player because he said it was hungry."
-Anonymous

SilverFreedoms
Org Profile

Post by SilverFreedoms » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Iron Solari wrote:
SilverFreedoms wrote:Oh and quick addition to mine

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Jeff7/scruffy_second.png
I demand you repeat that message. I can not see it =O
Imaget had to be said: the world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrifice.

in Ayn Rand's _The Fountainhead

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 3: The King of Spring”