P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are Here!

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Animated wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:Insulting the judges in your comments probably didn't help
No, don't tell me that! I never insulted anyone, nor did I have the intention to do so. I just used you as an example because I had a solid point, the perfect 20s. And trust me, I'm not the (only) one to be against some of the judges. There was lots of talking on our POE skype chatroom about the judges before the competition even started, if they were the right choices and so on. And guess what, someone had predicted what would happen in a case similar to my video, writing down what your reactions would be: and they were all true. Biased or not, most of the judges were predictable on their ratings.
Making assumptions of my (or any of the other judges) taste without knowing who I am and what I really like is insulting to me. You don't know me, and don't you dare assume you do. Maybe I took your assumption a little personally, but next time keep them to yourself before jumping the gun. I don't care if I'm easy to predict, I really don't. But don't just assume that I won't be objective and then beg me to be objective next time, or maybe I will be more subjective than I am.

I am biased anyway I've been saying it all along. :shark:

Chiiisus
Org Profile

Post by Chiiisus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:40 pm

RAWdangers wrote: I'm going to be blunt here, but based on this statement, I would not want you judging a contest such as POE. Nothing personally against you, but I would not be able to take a judgement from you seriously.
I would NEVER want to judge a contest anyway. I don't think any editor can be completely unbiased, because no matter what an opinion will always be factored into any scoring that they give. I don't expect anyone to take 'judgement' from me seriously because I'm not a judge, I'm just an editor with my own opinion. I love Animated's editing and a lot of his other videos. I was just throwing in my two cents.

Your example is a bit of a stretch. :roll:
Rawr desu <3

AngelDragoon
Org Profile

Post by AngelDragoon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Congrats to the final 3! |:> Looking forward to see who pulls out all the stops and wins this thing!

Speaking of the final round, will the details be posted later this evening or later Friday evening? The explanation was a little confusing... :uhoh:

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm

AngelDragoon wrote:Congrats to the final 3! |:> Looking forward to see who pulls out all the stops and wins this thing!

Speaking of the final round, will the details be posted later this evening or later Friday evening? The explanation was a little confusing... :uhoh:
Everything will be posted Friday evening.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 pm

I try to judge as objectively as possible and have scored a lot of videos I'm not a fan of a lot higher or videos I like a lot lower because of what the judging criteria call for, so my overall rankings rarely reflect my personal taste in videos. I usually try to step outside of myself and think how others might view each video and if any groups of people would find enjoyment in a particular video or not. I'm not a fan of a few different genre's of videos but I try to evaluate and think in terms of "If I'm a fan of comedy/psycadellic/drama/action/etc. would I consider this video any good?"

I think animated's video turns on the fact if you enjoyed black humor or not. I like some black humor sometimes, but the video as a whole wasn't really to my taste, but if I was a fan of black humor I thought the video would have a lot to offer. I had really mixed feelings before even watching Animated's video because of the NSFW tag but after watching it I was a little surprised to find a video that was fairly well edited with good scene selection to accomplish its goal. Examining the scene selection and editing it really demonstrated an aptitude to really emphasize the absurdity of the song and the visuals to really nail what it was trying to be and it did go a little overboard on it, but it needed too because the original Creating Something Beautiful is full of so much good happytime feels that it needed to pump out the same level of OMG Feels but just on the other side of the spectrum.

But anyways, I don't want to tell other judges how to judge, and a certain amount of subjectivity is a given, but if too much subjective taste or personal bias is involved in judging then the best way for editors to approach this contest would be to effectively just pander to the tastes of the judges and that would have a stifling effect on creativity and diversity.

TL:DR - I worry that people will pander to judges and we'll have a landslide of cute upbeat videos in the future.

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:07 pm

RAWdangers wrote:CAt this point, you wonder why are you even having this debate because you know no matter how well you debate, the judge is not going to change their personal opinion on gay rights."
So in other words, you're saying Animated's video is gay.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:11 pm

But wait... take another step back and see that there might not be any intrinsic good or bad qualities to videos whatsoever... and that your preference for well-timed, creative, emotion evoking videos is inherently just as subjective as anything else the other judges chose to base their scores on.

Now someone get a mop and bucket in here because heads just exploded... or someone just threw up. I can't tell.

eww... i got some on my shoe.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Let's just be robots. Bloop de bloop blup :amv:
ImageImage

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:I try to judge as objectively as possible and have scored a lot of videos I'm not a fan of a lot higher or videos I like a lot lower because of what the judging criteria call for, so my overall rankings rarely reflect my personal taste in videos. I usually try to step outside of myself and think how others might view each video and if any groups of people would find enjoyment in a particular video or not. I'm not a fan of a few different genre's of videos but I try to evaluate and think in terms of "If I'm a fan of comedy/psycadellic/drama/action/etc. would I consider this video any good?"

I think animated's video turns on the fact if you enjoyed black humor or not. I like some black humor sometimes, but the video as a whole wasn't really to my taste, but if I was a fan of black humor I thought the video would have a lot to offer. I had really mixed feelings before even watching Animated's video because of the NSFW tag but after watching it I was a little surprised to find a video that was fairly well edited with good scene selection to accomplish its goal. Examining the scene selection and editing it really demonstrated an aptitude to really emphasize the absurdity of the song and the visuals to really nail what it was trying to be and it did go a little overboard on it, but it needed too because the original Creating Something Beautiful is full of so much good happytime feels that it needed to pump out the same level of OMG Feels but just on the other side of the spectrum.

But anyways, I don't want to tell other judges how to judge, and a certain amount of subjectivity is a given, but if too much subjective taste or personal bias is involved in judging then the best way for editors to approach this contest would be to effectively just pander to the tastes of the judges and that would have a stifling effect on creativity and diversity.

TL:DR - I worry that people will pander to judges and we'll have a landslide of cute upbeat videos in the future.
Image Image

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Kimberly wrote:Let's listen to how Shin is doing things and be judges and not critics.

:up:

A judge is supposed to be picked for their eye and ability to critique videos with set criteria, not for their personal opinions.

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 3: The King of Spring”