The "I Just Don't Know What Went Wrong!" Thread

[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Re: The "I Just Don't Know What Went Wrong!" Thread

Post by [madaraxD] » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:45 am

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:
diegao94 wrote:
Animated wrote:But can't there be an exception to this rule? I mean, this video is about to win more than 2 awards... it would be a shame to be DQ'd for no particular reason.
x2
x3
x4

lolligerjoj
Org Profile

Post by lolligerjoj » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 am

I'd not vote for an exception, this would feel rather inconsequential. I do agree to ditch the rule completely, though.
Image Image
Image Image

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 am

As I understand it, the database is and has always been a very difficult place to keep clean, and rules like this are intended to be the stick to ensure people do their part to "keep their room clean" as it were, because concepts like personal responsibility are not universally recognized.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:46 am

kireblue wrote:
LantisEscudo wrote:
Taite wrote:Not to jump in out of place or anything, I haven't even seen Affective Schoolgirls, but one of the rules of the VCA's is that you can't have a non-anime video in the database, or you're DQ'd from ever being allowed to participate? I'm sorry, but why is this a rule? I don't quite understand how that is at all relevant. I don't believe in exceptions, but I also don't believe in ridiculous rules. Correct me if I interpreted it wrong though, perhaps I misread.
The rule is that if you have non-anime videos in your profile, you're DQed until you have the video(s) in question deleted. The deadline to have that taken care of to participate this year was February 22nd. That's pretty clearly spelled out on the Eligibility Page.
......how about we just not allow non anime videos to be added to the database in the first place? Why do we allow them to be added if we are just gonna penalize the editor for it later?
Because otherwise people start throwing random titles in the description just to be able to upload it and it becomes a way bigger mess than it already is. With the constant stream of uploaded videos we currently have no way to check them all for content, AFAIK.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 am

kireblue wrote:
LantisEscudo wrote:
Taite wrote:Not to jump in out of place or anything, I haven't even seen Affective Schoolgirls, but one of the rules of the VCA's is that you can't have a non-anime video in the database, or you're DQ'd from ever being allowed to participate? I'm sorry, but why is this a rule? I don't quite understand how that is at all relevant. I don't believe in exceptions, but I also don't believe in ridiculous rules. Correct me if I interpreted it wrong though, perhaps I misread.
The rule is that if you have non-anime videos in your profile, you're DQed until you have the video(s) in question deleted. The deadline to have that taken care of to participate this year was February 22nd. That's pretty clearly spelled out on the Eligibility Page.
......how about we just not allow non anime videos to be added to the database in the first place? Why do we allow them to be added if we are just gonna penalize the editor for it later?
We already don't. It's the first "Do Not" on the Enter New Video page.

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 pm

If it's not allowed, and you guys can detect it (so as to DQ someone for VCAs), then how does it actually happen? It seems like whatever process is being used to DQ people should have been used to stop them from adding the video in the first place.

However, I don't think any exceptions to the rule should be made; the eligibility page made it very clear, and allowing exceptions sets a bad precedent.
Image Image

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Rendakor wrote:If it's not allowed, and you guys can detect it (so as to DQ someone for VCAs), then how does it actually happen? It seems like whatever process is being used to DQ people should have been used to stop them from adding the video in the first place.

However, I don't think any exceptions to the rule should be made; the eligibility page made it very clear, and allowing exceptions sets a bad precedent.
The problem isn't a technical one, it's a behavioral one - see nya_chan's post.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 pm

So, if you upload a non-anime video but lie and say it has anime in it, you're fine. But if you're honest in stating that your video has no anime in it, you're DQ'd from the VCAs. However, actually checking the videos to verify their sources is (understandably) too time consuming, so we're stuck with the current system which at least (theoretically) gets everyone to delete their non-anime videos once a year before the VCAs start so they're eligible (or after the VCAs start so they can beg for an exception).
Image Image

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:12 pm

So are we actually going to fix this ? Or just let the dumb rule stand and not let a video that very likely will win some awards not ?
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 pm

It's being discussed among the administration.

Return to “2013 AnimeMusicVideos.Org Viewer's Choice Awards”