Project Editor Exit Survey

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Project Editor Exit Survey

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Animated wrote:The one that takes the time to give a honest comment on the video, and fast. And by fast, I mean in 1 or 2 days. Why would it take more than a week to judge 4 videos? And what I saw from certain judges was not even judging, it was just ratings! A whole week just to see 12s and a 16s without knowing the judge's thoughts! I understand that judges have many more things to do in their personal lives than criticizing AMVs, but THAT's why they were chosen. To be stand-by till the day the deadline was over. I believe all of them visit this forum on a daily basis, so why not spare some minutes and also write a thing or two about the videos? This thing is what angered me the most, so I'm up for being a critic next time.
I always did my best to have my votes sent in within 24-48 hours by the time Code's PM reached me, and did succeed in all rounds bar round 2 (I was quite busy and actually away in the weekend). I managed to get in the votes within the 72 hours mark anyway that round. So I can personally say I've been quite timely, even with the comments in the last 2 rounds. In the first 2 rounds I skipped on thorough comments on everything because I wouldn't have managed to send votes soon enough by my own standards, so I just wrote short comments on videos which I thought needed explanation on votes (mostly videos which I rated somewhat poorly on theme, but I really wanted to let my reaction to "It Started With A Bang" known :dino: ).

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:52 pm

1) As far as the "team" experience goes, would you like to see another project editor (not season 3) utilize teamwork, or should it remain an individual experience?
I am more for the individual experience, I think teamwork doesn't really suit this kind of a contest...

2) This was the first project editor to utilize a "bracket" system instead of the usual "elimination" system. Of the two, which did you most prefer, and which would you like to see utilized more often?
I'd like to use the elimination system more, mainly because it is more dynamic towards the drops. Sure, it lets people advance because they "only" submitted something - but at least there's a fair advantage and reward for submitting a video.

3) Themes are of vital important to the contest, as they are the backbone of the system. What is your opinion on the themes this season? What kind of themes would you like to see more of? If you could recommend a theme for season 3 and beyond, what would it be?
Less recycling, please. As for the recommendation - I don't really know, but I'd be either for something fairly vague-ish and explaining judges it's so, or for really strict themes (a song from a certain group, using some genre of anime from some list/site, or so) - clearly defined, simply. Anything in between with lack of cooperation with contestants or judges is just asking for trouble. I stress this out mainly because I tend to think in a really different way than many people and apparently it pretty much killed my chances in at least two PoEs (along with last-minute editing, I admit).
Also I would prefer less points for theme. Really, I think 20 is kinda overdoing it and that 10 is enough. But I guess this depends on the contest, so... :>

4) Time restrictions and deadlines are always a concern, especially due to multiple time zones across the world. If given a chance, would you prefer a softer deadline system, allowing for users to upload to me after the "deadline", in observance of time differences, if a similar consideration is given to users in the same time zone as myself?
Softer, no. But I liked your "you have to upload until midnight, but I check videos when I get up *winkwink* system - it lets you not stress about something like upload rate or stuff. That should be utilized more~ <3

5) What is your ideal type of judge you would like to see in Project Editor? Blind/Public? One that leaves comments and takes time, or one that gets results more quickly but has no commentary?
Public, that gets results with commentary quickly. Some deadline would be nice, so we know when we can expect the results.
But really, I think that proper feedback is what this contest is missing the most. I know they are tough to write, but at least two or three sentences is simply a must. To explain why you gave less in technical aspect, where was the lack of sync (for you) that deserved less points, etc. Unfortunately, it seems that the modern Twitter/FB status times (and the small fields in GDocs that look restricting) learned people to stop writing.
It might seem useless, but I have learned that pretty much ANYONE entering a contest of this type is happy for any and all feedback, the more precise the better. So, please, try to throw it in. Needless to say, if you write it down, it helps you reason out your point choices to yourself too!

6) What is something in this contest that you thought was best executed this year?
Mhmmm... usual standards, extras around.

7) What is something in this contest that you thought was worst executed this year?
Themes and their meaning, some lack of proper control over judges, no team check before competition and thus large amount of drops that affected the bracket system.
But for me, the main issue was the teamwork. I mean, I got paired with Kimberly, it was a great experience and an awesome ride - but as I work pretty much 9 - 18 and we were 6 hours apart, it was REALLY tough to edit something together to make it really work and not to be just two connected parts. For the R2 we managed to get together for some proper editing on the very last day only!
And only then we (or more precisely me, Kimberly never said anything about this to me) learn that other teams don't really edit together. Sure, the rules only say: "Meaning that individuals cannot enter the contest, and AMVs must be a collaborative effort," but really, isn't the approach "One editor edits it, other members beta it and recommend changes and that's a collaborative effort" a bit overdoing it? Nothing against (well, not really, stupid phrases), but it seems like a pretty big disadvantage to me if we take it that everyone has to edit at least a bit. Sure, our fault that it hasn't occured to us, but still...
Maybe I would like a late explanation of this rule and the next time to be a bit more precise about this thing in team contests.

8) Is there a particular rule/restriction that you would like to see added to future contests?
Not really.

9) Is there a particular rule/restriction that you would like to see removed from future contests?
Not really.

10) Would you like to see old themes recycled in the future (assuming enough time is given between the contests they are used in)?
Not really. Or at most some 10% of the contest themes (so 1-2 in bracket system, 1 in usual elimination system)

11) Anything not covered above? Explain it to me here!
You are a cute girl, Code. But you should really wear more pink and purple. It suits you. I recommend skirt and kneesocks. Striped ones ;x

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote: 7) What is something in this contest that you thought was worst executed this year?
...And only then we (or more precisely me, Kimberly never said anything about this to me) learn that other teams don't really edit together. Sure, the rules only say: "Meaning that individuals cannot enter the contest, and AMVs must be a collaborative effort," but really, isn't the approach "One editor edits it, other members beta it and recommend changes and that's a collaborative effort" a bit overdoing it? Nothing against (well, not really, stupid phrases), but it seems like a pretty big disadvantage to me if we take it that everyone has to edit at least a bit. Sure, our fault that it hasn't occured to us, but still...
Okay, I'm not sure if you're for or against every team member editing part of a video. If you're for it, then:

I completely agree. If you're going to do another Tag Team Tourney in the future, Code, then you've got to be more strict. It's a TEAM tournament for a reason, not "do one round and I'll do the other". If there are 5 members in a team, then all 5 members better damn collaborate together. I found it bullshit to hear some people talk about how only they're doing the video, or only 3 members of a team are doing it. Sure, some people have their reasons, but really? People can't even make 10 seconds? That's still putting in your part, even if it's small.

Honestly, I think you should put in a rule where only member can only miss a round, every round. If the whole group is not in the next one, they should be eliminated. If they're in a team of two, and a member has to miss a round, then both members have to be participating in the next round.

In a collaborative tournament, I'm sure there is a section to judge on teamwork? If there's only one person making the whole video, how is that any fair?
ImageImage

xPauChan
Org Profile

Post by xPauChan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:09 am

xPauChan wrote:5) I do like the idea of blind judging
Since I am not sure whether blind judging means anonymous judges or anonymous contenstants i wanted to clarify I would opt for anonymous contenstants.

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:23 am

I understand it can seels unfair that not a whole team does each round but when there are luke 4 out of 6 members, we can't call that "cheating". Actually I consider it a pretty good way to deal with everybody's nerves. Though I do admit there should be some rule controlling this in some way ^^

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:25 am

Seems unfair*
Like 4*

Someday I'll have an edit button...

Mkid
Im on the case
Org Profile

Post by Mkid » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 am

1) I feel individuals was easier. Way easier. But this is the first TT so it could improve if you decide to do another one. only time can tell.

2) I think not using a bracket system is overall better. You don't have to come up with 40 different themes. in the regular POE you can come up with 7 or 8 original themes. its more concentrated (idk how to explain it) instead of coming up with 40 so so themes. you can come up with 8 AMAZING FANTASTIC ZOMG themes.

3)these themes were fun. But i think you could get a group of people every year, and how them just talk in general or about topics and pick out of a regular conversation what editors think. I think looking at a normal interaction between people would be a good way to come up with creative ideas.

4) The time restrictions are fine. :up:

5)Blind or public. Dont care. i just want to know why i got the score i got. :up: judges shouldn't be rushed but on the other hand thy should do their judge within a reasonable time. the judges this year were fine. Except the whole lets not give crit on videos. dont just stick me with a number and be on your marry way but whatever.

ALSO! just a thought. How about getting a group of judges. having them meet. and let them pick a winner. with a full explanation. like a jury in a court house. they all have to agree upon a winner. :up: but that would be troublesome because people see different things in different amvs. so whatever

6)the creativity of the first couple of themes.

7)the Creativity with the Last couple of themes.

8)Im sorry to say this code but... It needs more cowbell

9)Obviously im not taking this question or #8 seriously because i feel like the rules are fine. there is nothing i am complaining about .

10) It really depends. i feel like there are alot more themes than can be explored and i also feel like if you recycle youre going to get lazy in FINDING new ones.

11) the only thing i can say that would interesting is...
Give us a song and have it clash with a theme. (I.E heavy metal song + theme: how amazing it is to be alive and have a nice quiet life) Or ( Carly Rae Jepson song + theme: Not having a good time) :up:

just a thought. :awesome:

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:46 pm

More Air-Bud.

DUNKED.

Return to “Project Editor: Tag Team Trials”