Project Editor Exit Survey

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Re: Project Editor Exit Survey

Post by MimS » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Yeah once it's ok, particularly 'cause I know this feeling (I do think I would have done something different than Shin did on Cosmic Love - in fact, everytime he edited Florence, I would have actually, but that's not the point here /o/) but well, when you have to edit on song using in:
- Well, Shin's madoka video XD
- Eden Awakening
- This is (Randomness)
- Memory Flash 3
- A little Retrospect
- All VCAs/JCAs musics
- others?

It's like : TOO MUCH

And even as a viewer, it's not cool for me to see vids using everytime the same song -.-

AngelDragoon
Org Profile

Post by AngelDragoon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Question #1: If you could have one major change in this contest (anything is fair game), what would it be?
Bigger breaks between rounds. I like how regimented this contest was, but yeah. I was burned out way too easily at times, especially when I still had school to think about.

Question #2: How can I improve upon the themes in future contests? Were there some that you liked/enjoyed more than others? Were there some that should just plain not exist? Is there a theme that you would like to see in a future contest?
I liked the themes in the beginning. They were broad but could still be interpreted in a consistent way, (particularly rounds 1-3...please bring back the era themed round again!) After that, though, I felt that the challenge rounds fell into the realm of, 'So what exactly is being asked here, and at that point is it really based completely on skill or the luck of the draw, so to speak?' I'll give in example of the semi-finals. On one hand it says 're-create' a JCA/VCA video. On the other it states to put a personal spin. From the results it seemed that it asked for more of a 're-create', but that could be rather confusing if the editor went for the more 'personal spin' aspect. (Unless personal spin only meant 'different anime', then I suppose the whole thing could have been self-explanatory). It's like in Project Runway when they say 'Don't use already made fabrics'. While it's okay to use a cut-up stuffed animal, it's not okay to use a cut-up pillow, although technically both are already made fabrics, (ie. something that wasn't suppose to be used). And no, I'm not saying the videos didn't place where they should in that round; it was all well and good. Perhaps it was just how it was worded, but those rounds, (4, in its own way, and 5), were just too vague for me.

Question #3: Did you enjoy the double blind judging (meaning not knowing who the judges were), or would you prefer open judging?
Either way. :up:

Question #4: Did you feel as though you had (a) enough time to edit (b) too much time to edit (c) not near enough time to edit.
Enough time, but like I said, a bigger break would be nice. ;-;

Question #5: I would like for my deadlines to be at (a) midnight (b) noon (c) indifferent
MIDNIGHT! Changing it to noon made me freak out a little, because my internet likes to update itself in the afternoons. >_> I know I could always turn it in earlier, but I prefer the evening hours anyway.

Question #6: Were there too many threads this year to keep up with?
Not really. They all seemed pretty organized. I'd rather have more threads than too many pages to sift through.

Question #7: Would you prefer to upload your videos via (a) FTP or (b) Online Media Hosting.
Either. FTP might be a little more convenient, but whatever works for the contest.

Question #8: Any general comments you would like to make can go here.
Overall, it was a very nice contest that ran efficiently and had very little drama. The judges were quite helpful and professional in their comments. This also got me editing again, so bonus there. <3 I look forward to seeing the next installment!

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:03 pm

MimS wrote:Yeah once it's ok, particularly 'cause I know this feeling (I do think I would have done something different than Shin did on Cosmic Love - in fact, everytime he edited Florence, I would have actually, but that's not the point here /o/) but well, when you have to edit on song using in:
- Well, Shin's madoka video XD
- Eden Awakening
- This is (Randomness)
- Memory Flash 3
- A little Retrospect
- All VCAs/JCAs musics
- others?

It's like : TOO MUCH

And even as a viewer, it's not cool for me to see vids using everytime the same song -.-
Umm.....all those examples you just stated (except the VCA songs) were from the Quickening, which has nothing to do with this thread. The only time that a song was used in 2 videos for the same round was with Shin's Fate Matrix's song for Orgeditor, so you're not hearing the same song for EVERY video in one round. All the videos that came out from that round were awesome in their own way too, so wasn't really a big deal to anyone (or at least me).

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Well I did say it concerned both and well "except for VCAs" is a bit easy for me considering it makes a lot of well known vid in a single pack ^^
But to hear the same song several times in one round doesn't bother me, it's the fact that I watched a vid using the same song a lot of time before

Whatever, I admit you're right in the most part :)

Mkid
Im on the case
Org Profile

Post by Mkid » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:02 am

1. i like the contest the way it is. but if you want a change..... Needs More variety throw a deathmatch in there. Throw a celebrity in there. 1 on 1. Kill some people off. oh and the winners should become judges BTW.

2.i feel like these themes this year wasnt as good as season 1. It was too(cant put my finger on it). It was different and i didnt like it. *MEAN FACE*. i actually didnt like any of them except "a good good year" and "a Good decade".

3. Judging doesn't really matter to me. (im awesome either way..) knowing who the judges are doesn't really change anything. or at least it shouldn't so it really doesnt bother me.. Except the last judge FUCKING HATED MY VIDEOS. he torn everything i threw to the ground and spat on it lol

4.imma go with (D) a good amount of time because a week to make an amv or our length.. CMON!

5.(A) because not many people are morning people!, who wants to spend a WHOLE night to finish an amv especially if i have to do shit DURING the day lol

6.HELL YEAH!, i felt like it was my job to search thru to find what i was looking for.

7.(A) FTP all the way! mediafire was annoying!

8.LET THE TAG TEAM ORG EDITOR BE AMAZING! FYI GO TEAM MKID!

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:20 am

Mkid wrote:oh and the winners should become judges BTW.
CodeZTM wrote:Top 3 : Offer of being a future Project OrgEditor Judge or part of 2013 Theme Coordination Team
I just think none of the winners wanted to become judges. :P

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Question #1: If you could have one major change in this contest (anything is fair game), what would it be?
Some way for either longer time for editing, or longer breaks, or a more flexible schedule or something. The whole duration of the contest as it was is more or less an endurance test which gets away from the editing just a little bit and by the end I was feeling a little burnt out, and I'm pretty crazy when it comes to editing and so if I was feeling the burnout I can only imagine what others were feeling.

Question #2: How can I improve upon the themes in future contests? Were there some that you liked/enjoyed more than others? Were there some that should just plain not exist? Is there a theme that you would like to see in a future contest?
Recreate rounds are cool, but keep it limited to one per contest. Or maybe let it be more flexible like recreate only the concept of an AMV with freedom to choose another song. Make sure the themes don't have too much overlap, round 2 felt like a broader version of round 1, and all the round 1 videos could have fit into round 2 really easily so it felt a little derivative to some degree.

Question #3: Did you enjoy the double blind judging (meaning not knowing who the judges were), or would you prefer open judging?
I don't know if a made much of a difference or not, I like how the videos were anon to the judges, but I dunno how the judges not being anon would have changed things or not. I think reveal who the judges are at the end of the contest though, I still wanna know who Judge B and Judge D are.

Question #4: Did you feel as though you had (a) enough time to edit (b) too much time to edit (c) not near enough time to edit.
I always like a lot of time so I would go with C, but then the point of the contest is to really force editors to work quickly and a limited time frame so its probably closer to A in terms of being able to get out something with decent quality.

Question #5: I would like for my deadlines to be at (a) midnight (b) noon (c) indifferent
I liked the noon deadlines, but thats cause I like doing all nighters and working all night until the deadline. Midnight deadlines are no fun <.<

Question #6: Were there too many threads this year to keep up with?
Seemed fine to me.

Question #7: Would you prefer to upload your videos via (a) FTP or (b) Online Media Hosting.
It wouldn't make too much of a difference to me.

Question #8: Any general comments you would like to make can go here.
Fun times overall. I'm looking forward to the Tag Team Trial thing, and will probably participate again next year in OrgEditor. :bear:

PantherMarie1988
Org Profile

Post by PantherMarie1988 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:04 am

Question #1: N/A - you guys did just fine =3

Question #2: I guess there isn't anything that can be done about this, but in the very first round I remember one judge gave me a score of 50-something and said that it was because my video quality sucked and then another gave me a score of 90-something and said it was a really good beta - and there is just too much of a score gap difference between that .__. I'm thinking maybe the points system should be reevaluated. Instead of giving an overall score out of 100, how about a score out of 10 in 10 different aspects of the beta entered (visuals, atmosphere, effects, concept, etc) and then add them together to determine the overall score ... might help with the thing that happened in round #2 with the problem with eliminations as well...

Question #3: yes - actually I think judging works better when you don't know who they are

Question #4: ((A))

Question #5: ((A))

Question #6: Nope

Question #7: ((B))

Question #8: N/A
Hi There!
youtube / MAL / tumblr
Stalk Me On All Of Them To Receive A Cookie Reward

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Ileia wrote:
Rendakor wrote:The blind judging works very well so that the judges can be brutally honest (after all, that's what the Org's known for) in their evaluation. We didn't have the drama that happened in the Quickening :sweat: but even so, I'd hate to have the judges pull their punches because their names were being attached to the comments.
Yue only posted the judge's comments once and those comments were blind (until after said "drama" when the judge in question outed himself), so whether or not you know who said what, there can still be drama. :uhoh:
Yea, but in PoE the judges all stuck to commenting on the videos even if the comments were harsh. Before they were deleted, the offending comments from the Quickening that got people going were making remarks about the editors. It's one thing to critique and make a harsh value judgment about a video, but to frame your comments as critiques on the person that made them instead of the thing they made was unnecessary. That's actually the core difference between critique and flaming.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:08 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Ileia wrote:
Rendakor wrote:The blind judging works very well so that the judges can be brutally honest (after all, that's what the Org's known for) in their evaluation. We didn't have the drama that happened in the Quickening :sweat: but even so, I'd hate to have the judges pull their punches because their names were being attached to the comments.
Yue only posted the judge's comments once and those comments were blind (until after said "drama" when the judge in question outed himself), so whether or not you know who said what, there can still be drama. :uhoh:
Yea, but in PoE the judges all stuck to commenting on the videos even if the comments were harsh. Before they were deleted, the offending comments from the Quickening that got people going were making remarks about the editors. It's one thing to critique and make a harsh value judgment about a video, but to frame your comments as critiques on the person that made them instead of the thing they made was unnecessary. That's actually the core difference between critique and flaming.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The offending comment was that the editor's video didn't have any redeeming qualities, not that the editor didn't. If there was another comment that sparked drama, I missed it. Anyway, my point in response to Rendakor was that even not knowing what judge said that, people took issue with it. The blind aspect doesn't stop drama, it only protects the identity of the judge. I wasn't commenting on the critique/flaming style of the Quickening judges. :uhoh:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 2”