Round 1 - Results [Updated with Group F & H Results]

This is the main (and archive) forum for The Quickening, hosted by AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Round 1 - Results [Updated with Group F & H Results]

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu May 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Image Image

Videos are ordered from top score to lowest. Congratulations to those moving on to round 2! To those eliminated, keep trying and better luck next time. ;)
Once the org entry has been listed by the editor, I'll link it so the images can be clicked to take you to the video.

Group A
Spoiler :
Winners
------------------------------------------------
TwilightChrono
KuroUnmei
LopezAMV
Evil Environmentalist

Withdrawn
drewaconclusion

Eliminated
dazza1008
MasterZero8
Group B
Spoiler :
Winners
Kairih
meleechampion
Centurione
NxxS

Eliminated
blaksun
Krigen

Group C
Spoiler :
Winners
Copycat_Revolver
HaydenST
GuntherAMVs
Scoob

Eliminated
AMV_4000
ngsilver
Double-Z

Group D
Spoiler :
Winners
-----------------------------------------------
riccardocasu
Kisanzi
lloyd9988
ProjectBarcodeError

Eliminated
xPauChan
SimplicityyAMV
Cecco
Group E
Spoiler :
Winners
Ileia
pacotacoshell
FadingSundown
SatoshiSakura

Eliminated

RAWdangers
flo55
~Darkness~
KnightAMV
Group F

Winners
Chained(E)Studio
Shin-AMV
Mkid
Elerye

Eliminated
Milk or Life!
Davis 51

Group G
Spoiler :
Winners
AnimAe
Siny
Mally
SagexAMV

Eliminated

jd_lord1
Animated
Nelhtarion

Group H

Winners
Bubbles(irriadin)
MimS
xDreww
VivifxAMV

Eliminated
Jade_Eyed_Angel
Kireblue

Kairih
Org Profile

Re: Round 1 - Results

Post by Kairih » Thu May 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Congrats guys! :3

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Thu May 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Congrats everyone!
3/4 right with my predictions. xD

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Thu May 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Awesome. I made it. Gratz to the other winners :)
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

RAWdangers
Org Profile

Post by RAWdangers » Thu May 10, 2012 3:11 pm

I love how it ended up being one person from each pair advancing anyways lol :dino:

MasterZero8
Org Profile

Post by MasterZero8 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 pm

First, sorry that my video was so terrible, it was my first real AMV though, plus I'm working with the worst of the worst video editors here. :(

Now I can take criticism, but I will be honest, this felt more like bullying to me. Especially whoever said that last part, was it really necessary?
I do like to have some good criticism along with the bad, it helps, but I guess thats too much.
Oh well though, I've dealt with enough of this in my lifetime that I know how to handle it by now.

Why was the visual quality so bad? Just because I didn't use 1080p blu-ray footage?

How can I have poor audio editing? I didn't edit any of the audio. :?

Yes sorry on the "lip flap" and the like. It was synced better, but apparently I had to only have 29.97 fps. I guess I was editing in a little bit higher fps, so after I published it and changed the fps it screwed that up.

And I'm sorry but saying I didn't put in enough effort really hurts. :cry: Cause I put in a lot. I spent almost everyday working on it, with a total of at least 30 some hours.
And saying I need to watch more AMVs really hurts too. Cause I have seen 1000's of AMVs and I can tell a good one from a bad one.
Now I'm not saying mine is that great at all, but for my first one, the very limited resources I had, and other factors, I felt it was at least ok.

I appreciate the feedback and yes I will learn from this video, since I learn from my mistakes unlike a lot of other people I know. I would have liked just a little more helpful feedback was all.

Congrats to all the other editors though. And it was a pleasure competing with you, even though it was short, it was fun. :P

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Thu May 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Well MZ8 (Can I call you MZ8? ^^), you shouldn't be hurt by judges' op, they just make their work without putting any feeling in it. Y'know they'll have so many vids to watch, 8 * 8 + 4 * 4 +.... so many x)
So well, I don't ask you to "forgive" them just to understand them, they do this just to order to rank vids, they don't have anything else to consider.

Yes, their words are clearly hard but don't take it badly and come impress us next time ;)

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Thu May 10, 2012 3:58 pm

MasterZero8 wrote:First, sorry that my video was so terrible, it was my first real AMV though, plus I'm working with the worst of the worst video editors here. :(

Now I can take criticism, but I will be honest, this felt more like bullying to me. Especially whoever said that last part, was it really necessary?
I do like to have some good criticism along with the bad, it helps, but I guess thats too much.
Oh well though, I've dealt with enough of this in my lifetime that I know how to handle it by now.

Why was the visual quality so bad? Just because I didn't use 1080p blu-ray footage?

Yes sorry on the "lip flap" and the like. It was synced better, but apparently I had to only have 29.97 fps. I guess I was editing in a little bit higher fps, so after I published it and changed the fps it screwed that up.

And I'm sorry but saying I didn't put in enough effort really hurts. :cry: Cause I put in a lot. I spent almost everyday working on it, with a total of at least 30 some hours.
And saying I need to watch more AMVs really hurts too. Cause I have seen 1000's of AMVs and I can tell a good one from a bad one.
Now I'm not saying mine is that great at all, but for my first one, the very limited resources I had, and other factors, I felt it was at least ok.

I appreciate the feedback and yes I will learn from this video, since I learn from my mistakes unlike a lot of other people I know. I would have liked just a little more helpful feedback was all.

Congrats to all the other editors though. And it was a pleasure competing with you, even though it was short, it was fun. :P
See, what you have to understand about criticism her eon the org. People don't beat around the bush. you say you want criticism, then they will give you pure unadulterated crit. They aren't gonna pull any punches. Thats why some new editors to the org don't like the org cause they don't like what people have to say. They would rather have the AWESOME AMV MAN that they get all the time on youtube. If you want that, good.

Just saying good crit is the kind that's hard to take. Thats the crit you want. Cause that's the crit that help you get better.

Glad to compete with ya :)
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu May 10, 2012 4:05 pm

MasterZero8 wrote:First, sorry that my video was so terrible, it was my first real AMV though, plus I'm working with the worst of the worst video editors here. :(

There is no need to apologize, you did your best.

They weren't trying to bully, they were just incredibly honest. Ya see, the judges didn't criticize you like it was your first video. They didn't cut corners and try and nicey-nice it up. You entered a contest with other editors who have been at this for years and are far more experienced because of that. They judged you and treated you just like they would've done to anyone else. While, I agree, it sucks to be told you're the worst, but in all honesty you got feedback that you probably wouldn't have gotten from anyone else because they would've handled you with kid gloves for it being your first video. Use this experience and grow from it.
The primary problem was the compression and aspect ratio. WMV is kinda crappy and it kills beautiful quality footage. So even though you started with some of the shiniest footage you could find, by turning it into WMV, it dulled it and made it far less shiny. Mp4 encoding is a much better option for the future.

As for the aspect ratio, the video should be 848x480 or 1280x720 since it's widescreen. You made it more fullscreen-ish which causes the characters to look stretched and too tall.
This is more due to quality than anything else. Once more, it all boils down to how the video is encoded. It's like taking a delicious cake and instead of putting it on display in a glass container where you can see just how amazing and delicious it looks, you put it in a container that had finger prints and scuffs all over it, so it distorted the awesome.
The fps had nothing to do with it. Lip flap is the characters talking but it's not lip synced. They're just sitting their flapping their gums. It's a distraction. As you get better at editing, you'll learn new tricks to avoid this. If there isn't supposed to be lip sync, you want to make sure that their mouth is closed.

As for the sync, the problem you had was that scenes ran on for too long. If you look at the other videos, they try things like beat sync and internal sync. Notice how their scenes change often and sometimes it looks like the character is moving with the music? That's basically what you want to aim for. If you have a scene that just sits there and runs for too long, it gets kinda boring and looks lazy. This is also something that will come with time as you discover your editing style.
It's not so much that you didn't put the effort in, it's because the long running scenes that it looks like there wasn't enough effort put into it. But this can easily be fixed as you get better.
I don't think they're saying that you don't know a good AMV from a bad one, but sometimes it helps to watch really good AMVs, examine what they do and why they're good, and try to learn from that. Not saying you should copy it scene for scene, but examine them to find out what they do well and try it yourself! :D
It's better than my first video XD

Good luck and keep trying!

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Thu May 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Ok, I'm in agreement for the most part because random people on the internet can, and will, shit on your videos all day. You gotta have thick skin, but seriously? Real talk? Saying something like "I can't find any redeeming quality in this even if I try" is not criticism. That, my friends, is an insult. I simply expect better from an "org supported contest" because really? That is not constructive. That is not helping, that is hurting. Lines like this have no place in a judge's commentary.

Yeah, I'll throw a fit about one line.

Return to “The Quickening 2012”