Round 1 - Results [Updated with Group F & H Results]

This is the main (and archive) forum for The Quickening, hosted by AnimeMusicVideos.Org
SatoshiSakura
Org Profile

Re: Round 1 - Results [Updated with Group E Results]

Post by SatoshiSakura » Thu May 24, 2012 11:39 pm

Congrats everyone! Personally, I don't understand how mine made it to round 2. :?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 pm

The bribe money you sent the judges made it us before we started judging...

/me buys another 24" monitor

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Fri May 25, 2012 1:56 am

Ileia 1st : no surprise
Too bad for French, both are eliminated : (

Kairih
Org Profile

Post by Kairih » Fri May 25, 2012 3:28 am

Congrats guys :3

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Fri May 25, 2012 5:28 am

MimS wrote:Ileia 1st : no surprise
Does the order of tags even mean anything? I assumed Yue just put the winners in no set order. Maybe I'm wrong, haha.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri May 25, 2012 6:26 am

SatoshiSakura wrote:Congrats everyone! Personally, I don't understand how mine made it to round 2. :?
My opinion doesn't really matter since I don't get a say in voting and such, but as someone who hasn't really seen any of the sources used this round, yours made the most sense. Yes, it lacked in technical ability and the audio was indeed derpy (as Oto put it, I lol'd at that) but it had the most clear concept. This is probably due to the fact that Death Note is just that well known so it's easy to follow. I read some of the comments on the other videos where people who have seen the series say "Oh! That makes perfect sense!" But for someone that hasn't, unless you know the basic storyline and look for it, it was a bit more difficult to figure out what they're going for.

So yes, technical aspects are one of the things the judges look for. But a clear concept and/or story is another. So far a decent amount of videos are hurting because while they're technically impressive, you could basically replace the source with anything since it has no connection to the song. In this situation, it was the opposite.

Once more, my opinion doesn't really count, but that's kind of the trend I've been noticing.
pacotacoshell wrote:
MimS wrote:Ileia 1st : no surprise
Does the order of tags even mean anything? I assumed Yue just put the winners in no set order. Maybe I'm wrong, haha.
Main Page of Round 1 -Results wrote: Videos are ordered from top score to lowest.
I'd say what I just described above also applies to Ileia. She threw story out the window and went for a fun, over the top lyric sync that doesn't take itself to seriously. No story, but very different and obvious concept from the others. Combine that with technical prowess and bam.

Everyone knows that I'm all for creativity but you need to make sure that someone else who doesn't know anything about your source can figure out what the hell the video is supposed to be about.

That being said, Ileia, excellent social commentary on the current state of the economy and the need for a new government.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Fri May 25, 2012 6:42 am

Derp, didn't read that before <.<

Kinematics
Org Profile

Post by Kinematics » Fri May 25, 2012 9:10 am

Radical_Yue wrote:This is probably due to the fact that Death Note is just that well known so it's easy to follow. I read some of the comments on the other videos where people who have seen the series say "Oh! That makes perfect sense!" But for someone that hasn't, unless you know the basic storyline and look for it, it was a bit more difficult to figure out what they're going for.
Interesting that you would put it that way. I've never seen or read Death Note, though I understand the basic plot, and I'd consider the video to have the same level of non-understandability as you imply for other such series. I guess if most people have seen the series, though, it has a lower barrier to entry. 'That well known' doesn't make it 'easy to follow' so much as 'more likely to be easy to follow'.

I should probably put more effort into seeing how I'd view a lot of these videos if I wasn't familiar with their source animes, as well, to see how that affects the impact.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am

Kinematics wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:This is probably due to the fact that Death Note is just that well known so it's easy to follow. I read some of the comments on the other videos where people who have seen the series say "Oh! That makes perfect sense!" But for someone that hasn't, unless you know the basic storyline and look for it, it was a bit more difficult to figure out what they're going for.
Interesting that you would put it that way. I've never seen or read Death Note, though I understand the basic plot, and I'd consider the video to have the same level of non-understandability as you imply for other such series. I guess if most people have seen the series, though, it has a lower barrier to entry. 'That well known' doesn't make it 'easy to follow' so much as 'more likely to be easy to follow'.

I should probably put more effort into seeing how I'd view a lot of these videos if I wasn't familiar with their source animes, as well, to see how that affects the impact.

I suppose it also helps that I've seen a bit of an insane amount of Death Note videos in my time >_>

Guy writes in book. Guy thinks he becomes god because he can kill people with book. People come after him. He kills the people who are after him. Other people come after him. Guy dies.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Fri May 25, 2012 9:57 am

Radical_Yue wrote:
Kinematics wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:
Guy writes in book. Guy thinks he becomes god because he can kill people with book. People come after him. He kills the people who are after him. Other people come after him. Guy dies.
Wow. I was finally gonna sit down and watch Death Note today.

So much for that.............
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

Return to “The Quickening 2012”