Round 1 - Results [Updated with Group F & H Results]

This is the main (and archive) forum for The Quickening, hosted by AnimeMusicVideos.Org
MasterZero8
Org Profile

Re: Round 1 - Results

Post by MasterZero8 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
AMVNews.ru has Level Up where you take a newer editor and they get paired with a pro to create a video. That just recently ended last month I believe. You can always get some practice in and join next year? :P

Besides, it's better to experiment and try some things before you join a contest where you'll be judged by your peers like a pro.
Thank you, will have to join that one next year. :D

Yes I plan to do a lot of experimenting, I just need a better video editor first. Off to the forums for help. :P

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 pm

MasterZero8 wrote:
pacotacoshell wrote: We need more of this guy, instead of the ones that get automatically scared of the org within their first announcement thread. >.>

Best place is the opinion exchange and announcement sections. I'm pretty sure you can PM any one of the active members on here and get their help. That's what I did. xD
Thanks, that means a lot. Yeah I'm not one to run away and get scared just because someone doesn't like something I did. I say bring it on! 8-)

And since I'm not sure where to ask this:
Is there a contest for only newer editors?
If not I think it would be a good idea, that way we have more of a level playing field.
There are some cool ones on Youtube that are mostly for new editors. It's not really that easy to find them unless you're subscribed to a lot of different editors though.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu May 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Some of the comments did come off more like personal digs than video critiques, but I think the main disconnect is in how much perceived time people have to work with. All this judging is relative to how long they had to make the videos in. I mean you'd have to be a really shitty judge if you had the same baseline for a 2hr IC and a normal video you can spend months tweeking with beta feedback and whatnot. So back to this long format style thing. You have to sorta approach it with a set of expectations as to how much time they really had and what you can realistically expect to see in that much time. Sadly, this format puts you at a severe disadvantage if you're not a NEET. some of the feedback made it seem like expectations were at that level.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 pm

The thoughts will not be posted anymore. Some people thought that the judges were being meanie weenies and others thought that they were spot on. Let's agree all agree to disagree.

If we can please move past this that would be wonderful since this is getting a tad bit ridiculous.

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Thu May 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:The thoughts will not be posted anymore. Some people thought that the judges were being meanie weenies and others thought that they were spot on. Let's agree all agree to disagree.

If we can please move past this that would be wonderful since this is getting a tad bit ridiculous.
Much agreed. I liked this thread better when it was about an AMV contest, and not the blackhole that is the criticism debate.

But since I forgot to post this earlier, grats to the winners! Kuro's vid was the image of slickness (even if there was some eF in there :P) and the other videos all had their own unique flair. I think my favorite thing about this contest so far is seeing the different approaches editors are taking to the songs. Some use effects, some use story, internal sync, external sync, it's crazy the way some people approach this stuff. Although it did make me laugh that 5 out of 7 of the Group A videos all synced people holding hands on the same lyric. Can't wait to see the rest of the other rounds!

/gogogo

dazza1008
Org Profile

Post by dazza1008 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:49 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Since it seems that people are having problems taking the criticism our judges offered, I'll just take it down.
Future judges thoughts will not be posted for this very same reason. Neither the judges or myself have meant to "flame" in any, way, shape or form. They simply stated their opinion with absolutely no personal bias.

When I selected the judges, I chose judges who would be honest, not rate of a scale from awesome - less awesome.
Considering only myself and Masterzero8 commented about the judges' comments, I'm guessing that we're the 'people' that are having problems taking the criticism that lead to this decision... I thought it was a good idea to post comments publicly because we could see good points and points for improvements in our videos plus others' videos, and observers could also see the judges' thoughts. Yeah, I did want to justify the apparently elusive storyline, but hopefully THAT came across as discussing it, rather than complaining about it.

Isn't the point of this thread to discuss the results? Have I done something wrong?

Anyway, please reconsider posting comments with results? Much more useful for everyone involved/observing. |:>

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 pm

dazza1008 wrote: Considering only myself and Masterzero8 commented about the judges' comments, I'm guessing that we're the 'people' that are having problems taking the criticism that lead to this decision...
No, I received private messages on the matter also but I didn't want to single people out by naming names. And it wasn't just from people in the contest or concerning the judges being "mean." I find that shining a spotlight on certain people in a public area to be rude.
dazza1008 wrote: Yeah, I did want to justify the apparently elusive storyline, but hopefully THAT came across as discussing it, rather than complaining about it.

Isn't the point of this thread to discuss the results? Have I done something wrong?

Anyway, please reconsider posting comments with results? Much more useful for everyone involved/observing. |:>
You didn't do anything wrong. It's become quite common that I see creators attempting to justify their reasons after a video is released. While I don't approve of attempting to justify I am always up for a good discussion. Either way, my personal opinion doesn't matter.

What was wrong was the spiral of nonsense about proper criticism that was released after the comments were posted. That was not a debate. That was a complaint-fest.

LopezAMV
Org Profile

Post by LopezAMV » Fri May 11, 2012 12:15 am

Radical_Yue wrote:this is getting a tad bit ridiculous.
Ridiculous...this is ridiculous...
Spoiler :
:awesome:

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Fri May 11, 2012 12:18 am

Anyway, people, just remember : what do you expect from this contest?
I'm saying this 'cause 1st Quickening, between only French people, allowed unknown people to meet more known ones. This is how I met Luna (for those who know her), she's now one of my best friends IRL (our city are close) and without Quickening, I don't think she could have taken part in 1st Empty Mosaic MEP (e-penis right now). Well I mean mostly is that there are unknown editors like MZ8 who participate in this contest, so, yes, being this there is judgement but that's not the most important part of it, it's also a way to put light on other editors. Somehow, it's a good thing that MZ8 "complained" or "opened a debate", at least now we noticed him and I'm pretty sure all os us will pay more attention to his next work ;)

P.S : Knowing Dn@ personally, you're saying judges are harsh but I'm pretty sure he already censored his stuff :rofl: (jk)

LopezAMV
Org Profile

Post by LopezAMV » Fri May 11, 2012 12:22 am

MimS wrote:(e-penis right now)
....what? O_O
Spoiler :

Return to “The Quickening 2012”