The Quickening - Videos

This is the main (and archive) forum for The Quickening, hosted by AnimeMusicVideos.Org
xDreww
Org Profile

Re: The Quickening - Videos

Post by xDreww » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm

[Ileia] Thorns and Roses]

Okay, gotta say. excellent source to chose from, for this song. Iieia really the right hits with this.For some reason the first first minute just dragged me in really focusing on what's going on. Kept sucking me in from then on. LOVE 1:37-1:43. I can't really think of any flaws in this video at all...lol Scene selection was on target all around. maybe I would say the random cut at 1:49 with her attacking, then you went back to the scene of the other girl falling, didn't quite understand, some things like that was a bit random, but thats no biggie. I think I overestimated you thinking you might not be able to capture what this song brings out. To one of my favorite trance songs, I'm really impressed. This is probably far better then what I could have come up with. One of my favorites from you. 5/5

[Mally] Wielding Grief

A great start! Really liked the first 30 seconds, good capture on that bro. Didn't like the lip flap you had in between areas, just kind of ruined the mood/pacing for me. Like I told you before, kind of this video had a bit mroe flavor to it, scene the animation is a bit candy, bit random at parts, probably all the fighting clips was distracting me from really grasping what I expected to see emotion wise. I did understand where you was coming from, with your concept, good job on showing that with this type of anime. I really think you did a good job on that, I know it's not easy. Overall I dig the video just lacked some strong points for me. 3/5

My pick would be iiela for this.. You guys did an amazing job! Really really enjoyed this! You guys really represented the song I picked. More people should edit trance songs. :up:
Good luck to both!

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Mally wrote:Another 3 day AMV
15 hours here. D: I'll spare everyone the sob story, but for personal reasons, it was very difficult to edit to a romance song this week.

Good luck to you Mally, of your Quickening videos, I think that one is the best. Good job pulling a Symphogear video out of that song, haha.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Mally
Org Profile

Post by Mally » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Ileia wrote: 15 hours here.
BEAST. YOU ARE A BEAST!
Ileia wrote: Good luck to you Mally, of your Quickening videos, I think that one is the best. Good job pulling a Symphogear video out of that song, haha.
Good luck to you too, Ileia! Been with you for 3 rounds now including the finals and it has been quite tough, but now it's over.
And hey, Symphogear was the second thing that came into my mind when thinking of anime to this song!

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:57 pm

Holy balls, Ileia's video was amazing. 2:17 was probably the best thing ever.

I'm going to go watch this anime now.

HaydenST
Org Profile

Post by HaydenST » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:35 pm

For the final match, i'm disappointed by the videos ....... :|

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:54 pm

pacotacoshell wrote:Holy balls, Ileia's video was amazing. 2:17 was probably the best thing ever.
x2. I have to finish watching Utena...

Aeirata
Org Profile

Post by Aeirata » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Great job you two. I liked both of them, but lleia's was just amazing. Anybody know the anime source for Mally's?

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Aeirata wrote:Anybody know the anime source for Mally's?
Senki Zesshou Symphogear :o
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Kinematics
Org Profile

Post by Kinematics » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:15 am

First, congratulations to the winners of the finals.

I ended up for various reasons not getting around to writing up a review before the conclusion. Still, it's nice to be able to read so many other people's comments as well. There were only a handful of other serious posts looking into the videos in earlier rounds, and it felt a bit like I lost out in not getting much of a chance to learn as much, myself. The couple reviews I did see were quite helpful to me, in allowing me to see things I otherwise would have missed.

Still, I'd feel remiss if I failed to at least make the attempt on everything up to the end. From the judging it's already clear that these are all top quality videos, so differences are largely going to be attributable to my own preferences.

[Ileia] Stabbin' Fever

Strong intro. Good sync and scene coherency all the way through. Absolutely no complaints about the technical quality of the editing.

This was the only one of the group to use the full song length. I think it would have been perfect, however, if it ended at about the 2 minute mark like the others (assuming one could find a decent editing point). The stuff that came after felt a bit more like it was tacked on (and had to deal with the awful interlude), rather than integral to the core video -- as if it were two videos spliced together. Unfortunately, scene-wise that cutoff point was about 1:45-1:50 (or maybe up to ~2:08, but that cuts off at an awkward point), which would have left it short of the requirements for the contest.

[LopezAMV] Endgame

The imagery of the intro was good, but the energy was lacking. Felt rather bland. Improved over time, but... A lot of the first half of the video felt like it was too indebted to the lyrics, and just didn't feel smooth or natural (eg: awkward cuts such as the expression change at ~0:22).

Color was all over the place. Lots of scenes had a general color overlay, but switched between that and other shots without a lot of coherency. In general, an indicator of the weakness of the scene selections as a whole.

The last 20 seconds or so (admittedly, part of the sucky bridge segment) was a bit too much random giant robot stuff.

[Mally] - LimeLight

Good intro. Good imagery and solid energy.

Sync seemed slightly off when the vocals started, but problem didn't resurface.

Probably the best, thematically, of the 4. Holds together throughout the video.

Bizarre out-of-place imagery: opening a bag of chips. Every single time I watch it, that little clip bugs me.

Closing was excellent at capturing a sense of frenetic insanity. Nice audio cut to get rid of the bridge.

[riccardocasu]Unlimited Blood Works

Nice start, but the timing started to get slightly off shortly after.

Thematically weaker. In this case, the lyrics just seem out of place compared to the imagery. There's a tenuous link, but not enough to pull it away from the feel that it's more random fight scenes than a solid story.

Editing was pretty solid. No real complaints on the technical side.

Top picks:
[Ileia] Stabbin' Fever
[Mally] - LimeLight

Interestingly, I end up with exactly the same picks as the overall judging. Usually my choices are at least a little bit different. However, -because- I read the judging before writing my reviews, I'm trying hard to avoid simply repeating the points made, and it's not always easy.

Championship vid reviews shortly..

Kinematics
Org Profile

Post by Kinematics » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:33 am

Championship

[Ileia] Thorns and Roses

Am surprised I didn't think of Utena as a source when I was considering what I'd hoped would show up, especially since the box set for it is like an arms-length away from my desk.

As for the video itself... Not sure what I can say. Was beautiful.

Love the windowed cuts at the start.

I mentioned the lack of emotional impact in your Tiger & Bunny video, of it being 'too clean'. That wasn't the case here; the emotional energy grabbed on from the first notes and didn't let go. A very few scenes felt like they were somewhat weaker selections, but I could understand that if you restricted choices to exclude most of the secondary characters. Also, one or two of the angry-face Utena scenes didn't seem to quite match the mood of the lyrics at the time they appeared (though they were not out of place in general).

Most importantly, it never lost its momementum. Every scene flowed from the last and to the next. There was no jarring discontinuity in direction, color or flow.

About the only scene that felt out of place was the running at ~0:40-0:42; it just didn't seem to contribute anything to the video. It kept the energy of the motion going, but just didn't feel like it was there to -do- anything.

[Mally] Wielding Grief

Initial intro was ok, but failed on the transition to the heavy bass. The music gets stronger while the video gets weaker.

Weak link between lyrics and video -- essentially, weak scene selection. They just didn't feel like they went well together.

The cross of the video imagery of sometimes dancer/idols, and sometimes armored alien fighters, just didn't work. It didn't blend well together, and no effort was made to keep the transitions between the two seamless.

0:42 - Errant lip flap

0:45 - Lyrics for "no one else around", immediately moving into a concert scene; felt wrong.

Felt too much like it was pulling scenes that happened to match the lyric tone in the source, but not spending enough time crafting the feel for that tone into the amv itself.

1:34+ - Increase in energy in the song, no matching increase in video.

Final chorus - expecting some sort of resolution relative to the lyrics of the song, but just falls into generic fight scenes instead.

Well, should be pretty clear what my preference on this one is. Ileia's video was outstanding.

Return to “The Quickening 2012”