Totally agreed with kireblue.
Rising Production: Site - Forum - Facebook - Twitter

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: The Semifinal "Oops" Thread

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:11 pm

kireblue wrote:
TritioAFB wrote:I don't have any problem bringing evidence, because what I mean is that it will be discouraging for several editors in that category that in fact, it's their first time editing, to lose to editors that have been already editing for a while but decided to upload until last year. It's not fair for them :roll:
I believe that just like we have the ability to add new categories every year, we should also be able to subtract categories that go beyond just being flawed and are completely broken. The "first video" category is a even more flawed version of "Rookie of year". The concept of best first video even seems strange when you really think about it. Sure, there are a few times when someone's "real" first video is actually worthy of winning a VCA, but they are very rare. And usually when those times come up, that person is also a contender for rookie of the year. So I don't feel that its really necessary to have both.
x2

If we absolutely must, then just one category for "Best Newcomer", and drop both of those. I'm thinking something along the lines of the requirements being that only the editors who joined a-m-v.org within the last year be eligible. Granted, that still has the issue of those people who have been editing for years on another site, but that will ALWAYS be an issue with this sort of award.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
kireblue wrote:
TritioAFB wrote:I don't have any problem bringing evidence, because what I mean is that it will be discouraging for several editors in that category that in fact, it's their first time editing, to lose to editors that have been already editing for a while but decided to upload until last year. It's not fair for them :roll:
I believe that just like we have the ability to add new categories every year, we should also be able to subtract categories that go beyond just being flawed and are completely broken. The "first video" category is a even more flawed version of "Rookie of year". The concept of best first video even seems strange when you really think about it. Sure, there are a few times when someone's "real" first video is actually worthy of winning a VCA, but they are very rare. And usually when those times come up, that person is also a contender for rookie of the year. So I don't feel that its really necessary to have both.
x2

If we absolutely must, then just one category for "Best Newcomer", and drop both of those. I'm thinking something along the lines of the requirements being that only the editors who joined a-m-v.org within the last year be eligible. Granted, that still has the issue of those people who have been editing for years on another site, but that will ALWAYS be an issue with this sort of award.
I really like the idea of changing "Rookie of the Year" to "Best Newcomer". It makes so much more sense. The term rookie should be used to describe somebody that is still "learning the ropes" and doesn't have a lot of experience. It always annoyed me how some of the nominations of the "Rookie of the year" award were people that I felt not only had more experience than me, but were well known pros. "Best Newcomer" makes it more clear that the winner doesn't necessarily have to be a "rookie". They only have to be a newcomer to the org.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:
Kitsuner wrote:Anime Nations of the World should not be eligible for Best MEP. It's a collab. The very nature of those categories mean that there can be no shared nominations between them.
Maybe its like Schrodinger's Cat, and it can be seen as both a MEP and collab. We won't know for sure until we check, but we should double check with our friend Wigner just to be sure.
BAZINGA!
Bazinga, bazinga to the max. That cat isn't as dead as they said it was.

The best newcomer idea sounds a lot better. It'll help encourage editors from other sites to come over here and participate.

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:14 pm

I am in favor of Best Nuke Hummer.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 am

GloryQuestor wrote:
Kitsuner wrote:Anime Nations of the World should not be eligible for Best MEP. It's a collab. The very nature of those categories mean that there can be no shared nominations between them.
Based on the definition of the collaborative video by the :book: , it is a collaboration as it is two or more editors working together with a video on a single song track. MEP is where you have two or more editors working with a video project that has more than one song track featured. We also linked examples of the difference between the two, and looking at "Anime Nations of the World", it is definitely more like "I Walk Alone" and less like "AMV Hell".
Isn't that Kitsuner's point? It shouldn't be on the semifinalist list for the "AMV Hell" group (Best MEP), just for Best Collaborative Video.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:27 am

Scintilla wrote:
GloryQuestor wrote:
Based on the definition of the collaborative video by the :book: , it is a collaboration as it is two or more editors working together with a video on a single song track. MEP is where you have two or more editors working with a video project that has more than one song track featured. We also linked examples of the difference between the two, and looking at "Anime Nations of the World", it is definitely more like "I Walk Alone" and less like "AMV Hell".
Isn't that Kitsuner's point? It shouldn't be on the semifinalist list for the "AMV Hell" group (Best MEP), just for Best Collaborative Video.
I kinda figured GQ was just being analytically detached in the response, but, yea. It's on both lists - shouldn't be.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

pink haze
Org Profile

Post by pink haze » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Oh...
Pie in the Sky shouldn't be in Best First Video.
It's a collab; although pink nib did most of the work, pink sugar and I both added to it a bit, and we're not first-years.

Sorry I didn't notice earlier. :| I haven't been following the VCAs this year.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:38 pm

pink haze wrote:Oh...
Pie in the Sky shouldn't be in Best First Video.
It's a collab; although pink nib did most of the work, pink sugar and I both added to it a bit, and we're not first-years.

Sorry I didn't notice earlier. :| I haven't been following the VCAs this year.
Thats still a lot closer to actually being a first video compared to the majority of them nominated though.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:02 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Scintilla wrote:Isn't that Kitsuner's point? It shouldn't be on the semifinalist list for the "AMV Hell" group (Best MEP), just for Best Collaborative Video.
I kinda figured GQ was just being analytically detached in the response, but, yea. It's on both lists - shouldn't be.
*sigh* I see that now. :sweat:

Look ... since we're way past modification, the best you can do at this point is... well, give it a nod as Best Collab and ignore it in Best MEP? :?
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Return to “2012 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”