VCA Unique Category

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Re: VCA Unique Category

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:48 am

Woot VCA's! xD

On the subject matter of Mims and pWolf (Sorry, don't mean to chime in but maybe I can shed a little light. . . Doubt it :|), pwolf, as well as many of the contributing editors on this site, are kind of persistent on wanting to go back to when the org community was an actual community and not just a "Hey! Lets give this award to a random person I've never seen before! xP" So just to clarify that little point up a bit on the community's goal at the moment. But, I'm pretty sure you knew that much already :P

Yet, awarding a random editor with an award when they don't really participate in the org is kind of. . . disheartening for the community because the winner will probably not even come back to talk about AMVs until next year for like... what... one post. :P However, with that said, if the VCA's are that popular around the world, then it might be a good idea to separate the contest into two separate contests. Like a "VCA - American or Org Awards" and a "VCA - Global Awards" :P Or something like that.

Pretty much just re-said what Kit said so I'm just defaulting to what Kit suggested. :P

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:11 am

MimS wrote:Here on org, if you don't donate, you can't to anything you want the way you like on this website or forum. That's logical, I understand that, that's where being involved in the community matters. Not in a ... Contest. It just seems unfair to me.
I don't understand what you're trying to say here? Donators and non-donators are all bound by the same rules. We all share the same perks. The only donator perks that are in effect now are basically more advanced searches and you don't have to wait 10 seconds to download from local. Other than that there is no difference between the two. I don't understand how that has any relevance to the VCAs or my suggestion.

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:25 am

I was just saying that helping the community is not linked to VCAs but to other things like being a donator, fact which is 'rewarded' (for example, you don't wait for download to start, you can edit your posts on all forum parts). You can also create apps, contests or else to help Org, it's up to you. Of course you have to thank/congrat/reward these people who try to make org better but not in a contest, that's what I mean.
It seems completely clear to me now, can't say it better, if you still don't see what I mean, then let's say that I have to improve my english /o/

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:55 am

MimS wrote:It seems completely clear to me now, can't say it better, if you still don't see what I mean, then let's say that I have to improve my english /o/
I understand what you're saying but how is this any different then say, the Most Helpful Award that's been given out every year for the last 10 years. This award is given to the member who has been the most helpful on the website. Its the same concept so whats the difference? It's not an award that people compete for, it's an award that's given out in recognition for one's contributions.

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:22 am

You're right. Just know that I think the same thing about this award and I would have said the same thing if I was there when it was created :p.
Well, I'm kidding but I know that last year for example, French who wanted to vote were lost with this category : For us, most helpful are people like Kain-x-Spirits or Chambeyc, finally people voted for org active and helpful people like Mirko considering it was the way it was thought (I mean an org grateful award).

Hm, I think I should -really- stop there and go back to the thread first goal :)

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:32 am

right, lets just get back on topic.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:13 am

Think of Most Helpful this way:

The org is like a company. They have this neat little end of the year tradition of naming an employee of the year. Management, in their infinite wisdom, has decreed that there's no good metric to determine that, so they should let the employees decide, but being as proactive and inclusive as they are, they don't stop there, they allow everyone who's ever done so much as filled out an application vote on who the employee of the year should be. Great! Big votes! Party time! |:> But, wait. A company down the street has a bunch of employees that applied for jobs way back when - a whole bunch in fact. Man, it seems like just about everyone who works at that other company put in an application back in the day - work's hard to find, don't ya know. Wouldn't it be a lark, they think, if we just voted for one of our guys from our company instead? And they do. Overwhelmingly. And some people at the original company start to think that there might have been a bit of an oversight in place, and don't think it's quite right if someone who isn't an employee wins employee of the year. Sure, the rules allow it, and you're not going to change management's mind about the loophole. Maybe if there was a new employee of the year award that didn't have the loophole in it to begin with... maybe that would help...
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 am

You know, one really big help would be having someone filter the semi finals so that the videos there were actually supposed to be there.

One of the biggest problems I have with the voting system is not that people from other communities come and flood the votes based on some weird nationalistic pride (though this I consider a very strange attitude to have) it's that the videos that win are often not even representative of the award. To go back to bashar's analogy It's like giving Best Financial officer to the office toaster.

Now some categories are subjective and would be hard to filter, we could probably leave those categories alone.
But some categories like "Best First" have a pretty concrete definition. It's either their first video, or it's not. If I recall correctly only one video in the entire list of the semi finalists last year was someone's first video.

--------------
As for the categories,
Best Dinosaur.
We all know Dinosaurs are sweet, but which one is THE sweet. Will it be the T-Rex? Made famous in Jurrasic Park, the Pachycephalosaurus? Or the amazing Ankylosaurus? Only the VCA voters can tell us for sure.

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:37 pm

The reality is the VCAs were always centered around people active on this site because when it started this WAS the only site for the North American AMV community. In fact at that point in time f you used the term AMV community it wouldn't really even apply. Sure people who didn't post on the forums voted but it was never worried about or addressed because most did not see it as a massive problem. And then you had some like me probably who didn't care for the VCAs and thought it was a bad idea for the website. From my own point of view what I'm seeing is that people who are based on other AMV communities started to care about the VCAs for some reason. This is something the creation of the VCAs never took account for. The VCAs were never seen as a "contest" when it started. Any "online contest" was seen as a joke within the North American AMV community back in this website's early years.

The better question to me is why do people from other online AMV communities who are not active on this website care about the VCAs? If anything I would think those other sites would just marginalize the VCAs if they disagreed with multiple years worth of voting outcomes. Especially when you consider the fact that these other AMV community websites have grown in online influence over the last 6 years and are now more prolific in online AMV influence in many ways from what I see. Instead the other online AMV communities seem to really want to win some of these VCAs. Are the VCAs just that coveted elsewhere because this site has been around for so many years?

Kain-x-spirits
Org Profile

Post by Kain-x-spirits » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:10 pm

outlawed wrote:the other online AMV communities seem to really want to win some of these VCAs.
huh ? :rofl:

Return to “2012 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”