Unclear To Concept

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
07rjudy
Org Profile

Unclear To Concept

Post by 07rjudy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:42 pm

Could someone please tell me how i can host my own convention. I know i can handle it because ive done similar things before. 100 kids at Halo 2 Party feed/ sleeping space etc. Could someone please maybe tell me what to do/ opinions or advice? thanks.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:04 pm

So this is how Con No Baka got started...

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:42 pm

Maybe host a weekly anime club. Cons are a lot more involved, and that 100 kid Halo party you held is nothing in comparison. With a con, you'd have to deal with hotel bookings, convention center bookings, programming, tons of video and audio equipment, getting ahold of guests from the industry and getting them to come, getting backing from various companies in the industry, setting up publicity, handling an awful lot of money, listening to tons of complaints, keeping the place secure, keeping the event 100% legal, and so on. It's just a lot to work with, even for a small convention. I am on the committee for a con called Archon, and I am not even very involved in the inner con workings, and it already gets plenty stressful. Trust me when I say that a convention is not something that you can just sit up one day and say "Yeah, I'll do a convention." and have it be easy. It would possibly take you years of planning and organization just to get the con together. If you're filthy rich, it might take less time, but again, that's only if you're filthy rich. :P

Honestly, if you just want to get a bunch of people together to watch some anime, toss around some manga, talk, and so on, then starting an anime club can be fun and rewarding. Talk to authorities at local schools or community centers and see what they say about letting you set up something like that. Once you have the OK to do something like that, all you have to do is get the word out to local fans, which isn't too hard. You'd be surprised how many businesses will let you throw up a flyer for non-profit stuff like that on a wall or window. Especially places like game shops, hobby shops, grocery stores, etc...

Hope this has been helpful. :)
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

tuniki
Org Profile

Post by tuniki » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:56 pm

just get a few vets at orgniazing events and some good speclizers in tech stuff.

Just have a darn goood team and make for certain you plan out to the last d etial and contngence.

ask us some more specific questions.
a big black bug bit a big blue bug and the big blue bug blead black blood

mikestrife
Org Profile

Post by mikestrife » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:So this is how Con No Baka got started...
AHAHAHA, love it.

BunofGovt
Org Profile

Post by BunofGovt » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:07 pm

Garylisk wrote:... Cons are a lot more involved, and that 100 kid Halo party you held is nothing in comparison. With a con, you'd have to deal with hotel bookings, convention center bookings, programming, tons of video and audio equipment, getting ahold of guests from the industry and getting them to come, getting backing from various companies in the industry, setting up publicity, handling an awful lot of money, listening to tons of complaints, keeping the place secure, keeping the event 100% legal, and so on. It's just a lot to work with, even for a small convention. I am on the committee for a con called Archon, and I am not even very involved in the inner con workings, and it already gets plenty stressful. Trust me when I say that a convention is not something that you can just sit up one day and say "Yeah, I'll do a convention." and have it be easy....
Hey, volunteer to work at the next con in your area. That way you'd get a feel for what it's like. Talk to other volunteers, staff. I've been to both big cons and smaller ones run by anime clubs.
"Didn't I say something clever earlier?"
"Dunno, I was probably asleep when you said it."

Return to “Anime Conventions”