Miss the good old days at Cons.

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Miss the good old days at Cons.

Post by Mroni » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:20 pm

My first con was Otakon 2001. That's also the first year I logged on here. Had lots of fun times at Otakon but every year it got bigger it got worse. More and more rules. Now politically correctness has entered many cons in a major way. Some cons don't want you to wear anything that might offend some snowflake. For a few years I cosplayed as a Gamilon general I am sure that wouldn't be welcome at those places. Otakon has moved from Baltimore to dc making it just another hotel con to me. I miss the amvs. I miss the fandubs when that was a thing. It all got old just like me. The older I get the majority of the attendees are now young enough to be my adult children. I still love anime. I love the promised neverland. I love watching my Amvs and I miss Otakons amv contest. Thanks Vlad for many good years. Katsucon is on this year but I'm not going because you have to wear a freaking mask. I don't want to get in any debates on that. Lets just say it sucks we have all been without cons for a year now but for me the magic is long gone just like the paper schedule.

This opinion editorial has been bought to by
Mr Oni

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Miss the good old days at Cons.

Post by Kireblue » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:42 pm

Sorry, but saying that cons have more and more rules and that they're becoming politically correct just sounds silly. As someone that runs multiple anime conventions, I can say that cons don't really have that many rules beyond not walking around with real weapons, sexual harassment, and basic public decency.

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 pm

You would be wrong about that. I mentioned the costumes earlier. Many have what they call "educational" topics in them including race in anime and waaah too many boobs in anime. The weapons thing change all the time what they consider a weapon etc. I do feel like an old man yelling at a cloud though sometimes lol.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:02 pm

I love watching my Amvs and I miss Otakons amv contest.
That was run this year.

I think you're complaining about things that you've imagined and exagerrated in your mind because you've been out of the con game for so long.
I agree with Kireblue.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Mroni
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:29 am

I aint going to otakon in dc i went the first year and the convention center staff were fascist. That's what I meant by missing the contest. Should have stayed in Baltimore all you did was replace one crappy city with another.

Mroni
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:30 am

I had alot of good times at cons too :)

Return to “Anime Conventions”