Anime USA 2012 AMV Editor's Dinner (Gauging Interest)

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Jefferys
Org Profile

Anime USA 2012 AMV Editor's Dinner (Gauging Interest)

Post by Jefferys » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:58 am

Well, I suppose I should initiate a thread now just to see if there's an interest for this one...

Anime USA 2012 is more or less four weeks from today. In the past, I know there has really not been much interest for editors in attendance of this con to get together for a dinner--but I like bucking tradition. :)

Also, I sorta want to take advantage of this convention being actually in Washington, DC proper this year (pretty much near the same WMATA MetroRail stop as Katsucon many moons ago).

So, if you think you might be interested in a pre-con dinner for the evening of Thursday, November 8th (starting around 9PM), just reply to this posting and I'll try to check back with a running tally for those that want to attend.

I'm still researching into area restaurants that may be able to accomodate, but I think I may want to have definitive cutoff date for replies. I'm thinking maybe around close of business on Monday, November 5th at 4PM EST.

Anyway, based on a cursory seach via Google, here's a starting list of possible local restaurants...

1. Open City - Slightly higher-end American fare and diner (think comfort food). I went there during Katsu one year and they have great Sunday brunch options--but I digress...

2. Cafe Paradiso - Mid-priced Italian restaurant on Connecticut Avenue

3. Rajaji Curry House - Indian cuisine--mutton vindaloo, anyone?

4. Tono Sushi - Sushi...at an anime convention?!?! Ha!

5. Lebanese Taverna - Middle eastern (Note: According to the website, the Woodley Park location is currently closed for renovations with an expected re-opening date sometime in "early Fall". Yeah, we'll see how this turns out...)

6. Chipotle (Corner of Calvert and Connecticut Ave) - Fast-food Mexican...casual and informal

7. Murphy's Irish Pub - Tavern/Gastropub fare...there's definitely beer here. :D

Well, I guess seven or so eating choices is a good start for the area. If anybody has any other suggestions for places, feel free to speak up. Hopefully, this will at least turn out to be a fun experience for everyone.

See ya in a month! :up:

(As an afterthough, I just realized that I should probably add something of a disclaimer along the lines that this planned event is not official function of Anime USA convention programming nor is it endorsed by its partners or corporate operations. This is strictly an informal get-together for interested parties in an effort to create social bonding and camaraderie pre-con. Any views or opinions expressed herein may also not be held by Anime USA, the animemusicvideos.org site, nor its respective owners. It's just dinner, guys!)
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast
http://twitter.com/jeffersoneng | https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonEng
Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Anime USA 2012 AMV Editor's Dinner (Gauging Interest)

Post by Scintilla » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 pm

9 P.M. is rather later than I'd expected to be out of the hotel, but it might work?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Jefferys
Org Profile

Re: Anime USA 2012 AMV Editor's Dinner (Gauging Interest)

Post by Jefferys » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Scintilla wrote:9 P.M. is rather later than I'd expected to be out of the hotel, but it might work?
It's an arbitrary time, really. Personally, I'm staffing registration department at con again this year, but I think Vic and company usually are mostly finishing up VAT prep by that time (if everything turns out smoothly at the new hotel).

To be honest, I don't think there has been any organized activity for Thursday night pre-con at AUSA at all, so this may be a one-off type thing. The problem I find with Woodley Park/Adams Morgan/Dupont Circle area is that everything is rather spread out in the NW section of DC. Crystal City has pretty much come into its own with a nice shopping mall area near the Hyatt in Arlington. The closest mall near the corner of Calvert and Connecticut is the DC USA mall which is all the way out near U Street in the Columbia Heights section.

(Yeah, I live outside of Philly and I know more about the DC metro area than I would even care to admit...)
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast
http://twitter.com/jeffersoneng | https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonEng
Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

Return to “Anime Conventions”