Project OrgEditor [Recommendation Thread]

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Project OrgEditor [Recommendation Thread]

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:32 am

Hey guys! With this year's contest wrapping up, a lot of people have had fantastic ideas on how to better improve Project Editor in future years. I am all for making the contest user friendly and want to help please everyone as much as possible. Granted, when it comes down to it, I can't please every single person, and decisions will have to be made, BUT I'm all for input.

Here are the proposed changes that have been requested to be made.

#1: Eliminations will be... Eliminated!

The first thing that was sent to me is that if eliminations are all that necessary. I'm on the fence about it. Personally, if we eliminated the eliminations, it would require a cap on entrants. I don't expect my judges to judge 40-50 videos every week, should the contest get that much attention in the future. But, how this would work is similar to how this year's worked. Each round would get a score and drops would result in just a 0 for that round instead of elimination. After that, during the "Finals" only the top 3 score earners would make it through.

#2: Scoring System Revamped

A lot of people asked about why the points were awarded the way they were, and several people said it was convoluted. Many have instead requested that we go to a much simpler 1-10 scale, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the highest. From there, I assign the criteria for a 1-10, similar to a grading rubric on writing prompts, so editors know exactly what we are looking for.

The other suggestion was to just let the judges vote on who should be eliminated, and dump scoring all together. Although if #1 passes, this probably won't work.

#3: Judge Selection

Several asked me why I picked the judges that I picked, and I believe I answered that adequetely. I stand behind my choices, and I believe our judges have done a FANTASTIC job. That being said, several requested that we lower the judges to only 5, and have those judges audition for the part in a main thread, and have the userbase vote on who would be judges.

#4 Timing

One of the biggest complaints/requests came for a better timing of each round. A suggestion was made to have each round more similar to Iron Chef 4, where editors would select a time period [1-3 days instead of a week], where they can edit their video. This would mean that each round would last about 2 weeks, and each editor having to pick by the deadline when to edit, and the rounds cut back to only 5 [4 rounds and a final round].

#5 Dump the Live-Action

Several people seemed uncomfortable with the idea of live-action and non-anime sources. I tend to disagree, since I can count on one hand the number of live-action/non-anime entries. BUT it's something to comment about, and I can understand their position.

#6 Audition

This will DEFINITELY be implemented next year. To compete/signup, editors will have to submit a 30 second audition video freshly edited. This way, we don't have 1/2 the competition drop the first round because they were barely interested in it.

Comment on the ideas, share your opinions and speak your mind! |:>

You may also propose your own changes you would like to make. We're not limited to what I typed!

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Project OrgEditor [Recommendation Thread]

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 am

Why is it so necessary to have it short and kick a large masses of entrants in the first few rounds? I wouldn't be against a longer piece (say 6-8 rounds) if we had enough time for each.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:51 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:Why is it so necessary to have it short and kick a large masses of entrants in the first few rounds? I wouldn't be against a longer piece (say 6-8 rounds) if we had enough time for each.
That's possible. I just figured that most people wouldn't' want to edit for that many rounds in such quick succession of each other. Plus, the fear of burnout.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Hmm.. I just thought of something... If the only thing that was missing in the last scoring system was the thrill and fun of it ... Why not just add bonus points for those people who are trudging behind?? Like, extra credit in school or something so they can catch up with the other contestants and have a fair chance like everyone else??

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:06 pm

lloyd9988 wrote:Hmm.. I just thought of something... If the only thing that was missing in the last scoring system was the thrill and fun of it ... Why not just add bonus points for those people who are trudging behind?? Like, extra credit in school or something so they can catch up with the other contestants and have a fair chance like everyone else??
Only for those behind? Sounds fair. While we're at it, let's give the person in the lead a handicap.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Easy way to fix the massive drop problem would be to ban from future competition anyone that drops without good reason from future competitions. It works better if you have multiple people running these kinds of things that will adhere to the blacklist as a show of solidarity. I hear this approach works wonders for convention panelist programming. :awesome:

Suggestions you might actually consider:

1) Make every round stand-alone again. It's more exciting.
2) Make all judges secret judges. It could totally work. And people trust you enough to pick them now, so what does it matter if they're known or not.
Last edited by BasharOfTheAges on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Copycat_Revolver
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by Copycat_Revolver » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Ileia wrote:
lloyd9988 wrote:Hmm.. I just thought of something... If the only thing that was missing in the last scoring system was the thrill and fun of it ... Why not just add bonus points for those people who are trudging behind?? Like, extra credit in school or something so they can catch up with the other contestants and have a fair chance like everyone else??
Only for those behind? Sounds fair. While we're at it, let's give the person in the lead a handicap.

Ooh ooh I got it. Let's just disqualify the person with the highest score each round, that would definitely give the people trailing behind a fair shot.
Last edited by Copycat_Revolver on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mkid
Im on the case
Org Profile

Post by Mkid » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 pm

1.I personally dont undertstand this

2.I do believe that the scoring system this year was kinda a drag, why should the last round effect this round.. but than again you bring a good point with people EARNING that right to not worry.
(basically a contest is suppose to keep you on your toes, no matter how good you are,no matter how amazing the judges think you are, you should always be worried about getting kicked, i think we should go for a round for round contest. with a few kinks like, for a round the top competitor(person who got the best score) could get elimination Exempt.. and for another round do something with the person who BARLY got by, like make them have to turn in the project a day early)

3. WHO CARES about the judges lol :ying: thats why we have mutiple of them, so we can have different ideas.

4. a week is good!, having 1 - 3 days is kinda a rush. people are just kinda lazy i suppose, but a week is good nothing should change about that.

5.if you drop live action, you drop a little bit of the creativity that comes with having a "Theme" i suppose.

6.Im all for it, TOO MANY PEOPLE droped ad we only had 1/2 the amount we should've had.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Copycat_Revolver wrote:
Ileia wrote:

Ooh ooh I got it. Let's just disqualify the person with the highest score each round, that would definitely give the people trailing behind a fair shot.
Umm... Lets not do that...

Ok, so I guess what I'm trying to say when I'm talking about "bonus points", I meaning to say something like a "bonus round". So its optional to participate in the bonus round, but it's mainly intended for those who are behind to catch up. Of course, the bonus round would probably only happen once in the whole competition and it open to all the editors. I think it'd be good even for the people who are ahead of everyone else because they can get some extra points, or they can take a week off.

Also... How about doing some 'Mock POE' to make sure the system that's going to be in effect will be effective and fun??

Copycat_Revolver
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by Copycat_Revolver » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:25 pm

lloyd9988 wrote: Umm... Lets not do that...

Ok, so I guess what I'm trying to say when I'm talking about "bonus points", I meaning to say something like a "bonus round". So its optional to participate in the bonus round, but it's mainly intended for those who are behind to catch up. Of course, the bonus round would probably only happen once in the whole competition and it open to all the editors. I think it'd be good even for the people who are ahead of everyone else because they can get some extra points, or they can take a week off.
So... it would be just like any other round, except participation would be optional. Okay. That is an idea. A silly, unnecessary one, but that doesn't discount the fact that it is indeed an idea.

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 1”