Project OrgEditor [Recommendation Thread]

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: Project OrgEditor [Recommendation Thread]

Post by Ileia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:41 pm

The scoring issue would be easier to deal with if the point of the contest was more clearly defined. Who should be the winner? The one who does the best throughout the entire contest? Or, similar to reality shows (which the contest suggests it is), is it anyone's game every round and it doesn't matter if you've done well previously?

Along with that, if you decide against eliminations completely, the cumulative score "flaw" could still happen if someone accrued enough points.

Voting on who gets kicked out is interesting, but the ratio of editors to judges means that it's possible each judge could vote for someone else. How would that be dealt with?

With selecting judges, I think that at least one judge should be someone who had competed previously (no, I'm not trying to suggest myself, I won't be participating at all next year), so that you have someone who knows exactly what the editors are going through, having done it themselves.

With non-anime sources, I don't see how less people choosing to use it means that it shouldn't be allowed. This is, after all, an anime music videos website, most of the editors will be best comfortable using anime. There are other reasons to question it, though. For instance, why would an org-sponsored event welcome the usage, but you're not permitted to link to one you made anywhere on the forums except the "offtopic" area?
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:37 pm

General recommendation: Make sure you understand the theme you're going to present. Be clear. It's one thing if a competitor doesn't like the theme, but another thing entirely if they're confused as to what they're supposed to edit.

Also, be realistic with the expectations of a theme.

If a round is going to be a week, OK, but don't ask for the impossible. Just because someone has a week doesn't mean they will have four to eight hours to edit a video every day, or will be able to edit everyday. Everyone in this competition is coming from different places. Some have full-time jobs, some have part-time jobs, some are college students, some are in high school. Life happens.

Personally I have no issue with the judges or how they were picked. Having them be secret judges might be a good idea to try since the more uhh fragile types and their peers tend to take out their frustrations on them. So even if the judge is like the Simon of a competition at the end of the day, no matter how they say it, it probably had to be said.

I'm not really sure what to do about the scoring issue. There are people who don't seem to understand that to have a winner, someone has to lose. Frankly the more options you have to appeal losing the more drama and whining you're going to get. And personally I think all these ideas to make the losers of a round feel like winners (lol participation ribbon) kind of takes away from the competition aspect.
Ileia wrote:The scoring issue would be easier to deal with if the point of the contest was more clearly defined. Who should be the winner? The one who does the best throughout the entire contest? Or, similar to reality shows (which the contest suggests it is), is it anyone's game every round and it doesn't matter if you've done well previously?
^ I'd agree that this is what you'd have to consider when you think about how you want to score or eliminate people.

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Ileia (and moonie kinda) said this already, but before we go questioning rules or specific technicalities of a contest, you have to define it's purpose.

No really. What are you (Code) trying to do here?

Should be obvious why this is important, but I can expand on my line of reasoning (with examples, charts even? >glasses<) if you want me to.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:09 pm

meleechampion wrote:Ileia (and moonie kinda) said this already, but before we go questioning rules or specific technicalities of a contest, you have to define it's purpose.

Should be obvious why this is important, but I can expand on my line of reasoning (with examples, charts even? >glasses<) if you want me to.
Knowing Code, it's the same, most dangerous thing as ever.

Want everyone to have fun |:>

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
meleechampion wrote:Ileia (and moonie kinda) said this already, but before we go questioning rules or specific technicalities of a contest, you have to define it's purpose.

Knowing Code, it's the same, most dangerous thing as ever.

Want everyone to have fun |:>
That's what I'm saying, are we all drawing a pony a day for a month? What?!

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:50 pm

When i started this cOntest, it had 3 purposes. B

1). To make editors edit outside their typical standards. This, naturally, can result in great videos.
2). To have fun!
3). Have a more "unusual" contest than most have.

Edit: I also wanted to bring project runway to the org. XD

I have more to say, but I'm on the road ATM, so I will address other posts shortly.

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Okay, speaking as a judge, here are a few things:

I've only been a judge one other time (at last year's AAC, at the last minute, and Bashar nearly killed me with habanero glucose). I did serve on staff with Vlad at this year's Sakura-Con and was REALLY involved with that and selecting amv's to show--so, not really judging, but I did have to show some discernment.

I honestly don't know why Code asked me to judge, I didn't ask him. I *do* know I've enjoyed it immensely. I tend to be overly opinionated and I am a critical person, but I also went to art school and I do understand the difference between criticism and critique. I'm also one of the older editors on the site (39) and I'm fairly even-tempered and thick-skinned, so I don't take things personally, and I try not to let personal prejudices get in the way of things like this. That being said, I feel amv editing is an art form, and judging them is both subjective and objective.

I have no problem with Code revealing which comments and scores were mine after this is done (or at any time), and I don't mind discussing them with any of the editors at any point. And if anybody has a problem with me being selected as a judge for any reason and wants to talk about that, feel free. Like I said, I'm not a wilting wallflower--I'm not gonna go boo-hoo in a corner because you think I shouldn't have been a judge.

I've really enjoyed the competition and I've really enjoyed watching all your videos--the ones I've liked, and the ones that haven't floated my boat as much. They all took blood, sweat and tears on your parts and that's never a wasted effort.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 pm

CorpseGoddess wrote:Bashar nearly killed me with habanero glucose
I totally <3 you for putting up with that. If you happen to be in the area for future AACs, I could always use more judges and I've been sworn to not cause people physical pain any more. XD
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:17 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
CorpseGoddess wrote:Bashar nearly killed me with habanero glucose
I totally <3 you for putting up with that. If you happen to be in the area for future AACs, I could always use more judges and I've been sworn to not cause people physical pain any more. XD
It was a blast, really. I just didn't expect that thing so be quite so...apocalyptically spicy. I won't be out there this year, but most definitely next, so you can put me down for judging then. If I can convince hubby to come out with me (Purplepolecat), you'll get him as well. :awesome: :awesome:

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 pm

CodeZTM wrote: 1). To make editors edit outside their typical standards. This, naturally, can result in great videos.
2). To have fun!
3). Have a more "unusual" contest than most have.
These are great but they have nothing to do with what the actual purpose of the contest is. These are just things you hope people come away from it with. When there is only one editor left, what about the contest made them be the last one standing?

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 1”