Project OrgEditor [Round 2 : "After Story"] - Ended

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Project OrgEditor [Round 2 : "After Story"]

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:35 am

CodeZTM wrote:Well, everyone's opinion is wrong anyway. The only one that truly matters is
Spoiler :
THE GAME

|:>

Besides, it's just not an org sponsored contest without a little drama, a little butthurt and a lot of complaining! :awesome:

Just don't take everything so seriously. It's a contest, a hobby, and supposed to be fun! Well, I can PROMISE that the next round will be a blast anyway.
I should get to that round and finish this thing, then, right?

RIGHT? D:

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 pm

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGGOGOGOGOGOGOGO |:>

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:24 pm

OVER A HALF COMPLETE!

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:44 pm

We have two confirmed drops. Since it's still under 4, the elimination schedules has not changed. Yet, anyway.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:13 pm

While I might just be complaining the entire time, I have my reasons for it.

Most of the videos I've seen submit to this competition don't even seem to come close to the quality or effort as the videos in the Online AMV IC and that seriously bothers me. Videos that are made in two hours with little to no planning look better than videos that are almost given a full week.

This competition has been given special privileges and is even awarding (while some might not think of it as a big deal) one of the same awards the VCAs has to offer. I would think that would push people to work a little bit harder. I'm not saying should sit there all day editing, for goodness sake, get to work dammit and make some monies ;p But if 30minutes - an hour a day is too much editing for you, then I am disappoint :/ Everyone knew the time restrictions and what they'd be dealing with when they signed up. It wasn't hidden. While people may say the theme kills their motivation, if you hate the theme so much, take one of the examples posted on the forum. Who gives a shit? If you don't care, take a hit in the originality department and make a good video.

As for my more critical judging I previously posted about, that means I'm going to be taking an all or nothing stance when awarding points. 1st and 7th place shouldn't be separated by a small number. The fact that if 1st has a bad round later in and 7th has a good round at the same time, they could easily switch places by the number of points they each have, shouldn't happen. While 7th should obviously move up a tad bit, the amount of points separating them should not be so small that this is a possibility.

Nowhere have I said that every single video is terrible. There have been some really great ones that I've thoroughly enjoyed. I guess that I just kinda hope that if I manage to light a fire under some asses, we'll see more of them. Hell, I'm the kind that would try to make a kick ass video that melts the faces off the judges in attempt to spite a bitch like me. If that's what it takes, so be it >.> And it honestly makes me happy to see people constantly posting about the theme giving them problems. Not because the theme is giving them problems, but because it honestly shows their putting a ton of dedication into trying to come up with something really good. I makes me a lot happier than "This theme is stupid." 5 days later "Oh, I think I got something. I don't even know. This is stupid." And those of you that know what you're doing right off the bat, and put some decent time in (btw, highfive Moonie on 10hours, I know what your schedule is like and |:>) it shows it in your work.

I apologize on my part if I've been so naggy and harsh. Some of the reasons I signed up as a judge was to be honest to a fault where others tend to sugarcoat and to see some kick ass videos (I guess I was mislead as to what the quality looked like by some of last years amazing entries) but so far I've done the first part and I've seen a little of the second.

Now, I just want to see more of the second. Fight-o!

Mkid
Im on the case
Org Profile

Post by Mkid » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:This Post
I know what you mean. but its only the second round... give us some time The videos have gotten progressively better in the org tournament too.... obviously were gonna have some bad videos and some good videos according to how we translate it.. I know it isn't an excuse but the video will progressively get better with the competition...
In IC V4 people have a WHOLE lot of pressure on them... with that, it possibly brings out the better editor in them... Well thats my thoughts on your post >>

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Most of the videos I've seen submit to this competition don't even seem to come close to the quality or effort as the videos in the Online AMV IC and that seriously bothers me. Videos that are made in two hours with little to no planning look better than videos that are almost given a full week.
While I wasn't too thrilled with the videos from round 1 myself, this contest and OIC4 are two different beasts (I would almost say opposites really..). OIC4 gives you a lot more freedom in what you want to make, thus the output is a lot more high quality because thats what we are used to. The only restriction is the audio since you don't know what it will be (video to a degree but you get to choose what gets randomly picked at least). With this contest, the only thing that isn't a restriction seems to be the sources. The entire concept and idea of the video is predetermined and, at least for me, that is way out of my comfort zone. I spend more time (more days of the week) trying to figure out what I'm going to do than doing any actual editing.

OIC4 is also a lot more flexible as far as when you can edit and you have the 24 hours before the match to start thinking about what you could make while you're preping your sources. Here we have no control over the schedule so while one round might be better for me, another round might be absolutely terrible scheduling wise (last round was great for me, this round had me worried i would ever get the video started).

I just don't think you should compare the two contests and expect more of out this one because we have more time to edit, in writing at least.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:Most of the videos I've seen submit to this competition don't even seem to come close to the quality or effort as the videos in the Online AMV IC and that seriously bothers me. Videos that are made in two hours with little to no planning look better than videos that are almost given a full week.
While I wasn't too thrilled with the videos from round 1 myself, this contest and OIC4 are two different beasts (I would almost say opposites really..). OIC4 gives you a lot more freedom in what you want to make, thus the output is a lot more high quality because that's what we are used to. The only restriction is the audio since you don't know what it will be (video to a degree but you get to choose what gets randomly picked at least). With this contest, the only thing that isn't a restriction seems to be the sources. The entire concept and idea of the video is predetermined and, at least for me, that is way out of my comfort zone. I spend more time (more days of the week) trying to figure out what I'm going to do than doing any actual editing.

OIC4 is also a lot more flexible as far as when you can edit and you have the 24 hours before the match to start thinking about what you could make while you're prepping your sources. Here we have no control over the schedule so while one round might be better for me, another round might be absolutely terrible scheduling wise (last round was great for me, this round had me worried i would ever get the video started).

I just don't think you should compare the two contests and expect more of out this one because we have more time to edit, in writing at least.
They both have their pros and cons, but personally, I believe that they manage to weigh themselves out to almost be on the same level.

The OIC4 has the main constraint of time. While yes, you may have that 24 hour window to think about what possible ways you can work your footage...in addition to have 6 days to make a video in POE, there is also a hint thread which has been up since the very start. Utilized correctly, I believe it's at least possible to get yourself in the right mindset.

I understand the frustration of having to make a video during exact time frames and preset specifications, but that was all presented before the project began during the sign-up.

As for working the theme, in the first round alone, we were shown that yes! People can work it different ways :D We had propaganda, videos integrating the site itself, fake commercials, a story of how someone started editing, artsy-fartsyness with the logo ;) and some really interesting ideas all together.
But for the most part, I'm not even referring to the execution of themes. The general editing is very substandard. Now once more, I do not say that without some clear exceptions, but overall...I mean, wrong ARs, bad video quality, logos (and not the org one), loose sync, etc...

I would rather watch something that loosely fits the theme but it edited really well as opposed to watching a video where the editor thought the theme and time restraints were difficult and gave up all together.

I would feel embarrassed if my submission looked like that and I still said "I want to win first prize." I understand that a lot of people say they're in for fun, etc...but regardless, this is a competition.

Especially with this round, I understand that the general theme is pretty convoluted, and I'll judge accordingly. But I don't believe the theme should interfere with the basic editing...

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:I mean(...) loose sync, etc...
Hey, what's wrong with loose sync? |:

Are you talking about BAD sync? :<

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:I mean(...) loose sync, etc...
Hey, what's wrong with loose sync? |:

Are you talking about BAD sync? :<

Loose sync when it's not supposed to be loose :P

Which, effectively...turns into bad sync :P

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 1”