The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 am

CorpseGoddess wrote: If you just ignore the category and vote for the video you like, it kind of defeats the purpose of having separate categories, no? We might as well just throw all the year's vids into a giant pigpile and vote based purely on personal taste. But, since we've gone through all the trouble of sifting through which videos best represent the category, whether or not "Every Opening..." is a better video (as opposed to a better parody) is irrelevant to this competition.
But EOEM was obviously a parody, thus fitting into the category. After meeting the basic criteria, how can I not consider the editing/flow/atmosphere as a feature to critique the work with? The whole point of critiquing AMVs for this contest is to see which one better combines the elements of editing to each specific category. It's like with "Best First". Once you knock out the ones that weren't first AMVs, you've got to go by which one was best edited and had the best flow. Parody is a little different, because you also have to ask "which one was the better parody" DAMN IT. Ok, I'll concede the fact that Bonklers should obviously win this one. As much as I openly hate to admit being wrong, you've got a valid and very well argued point.

Although I totally disagree that editing shouldn't be a considered factor. Once you see which degree of how well a parody is done [let's say that there was another really great parody video that obviously fit into this category, on par with Bonklers], then you should obviously go and see which one was better executed in terms of editing.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 am

Management of voting:

Score = relative weight of parody * subjective quality
Total score wins!

Yay! :awesome:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:22 am

CodeZTM wrote: Although I totally disagree that editing shouldn't be a considered factor. Once you see which degree of how well a parody is done [let's say that there was another really great parody video that obviously fit into this category, on par with Bonklers], then you should obviously go and see which one was better executed in terms of editing.
Ideally, If the video even fits the category in the first place shouldn't be something voters should have to worry about, ones that don't shouldn't be getting in.

Reality is quite removed from the ideal in certain categories like parody year after year (this is also the case in most categories at audience voted contests). How you vote in light of the reality is what counts. By voting with the intent of the category in mind, you prop up the contest's shortcomings - namely the ignorant masses that outnumber you and don't put anywhere near a fraction of the thought into their voting that you appear to. Realize your contribution to the process of propping up those shortcomings (in terms of actually voting in a manner true to the intent of the category) is akin to what a car jack can do for a beached whale. I'm sure this discussion is actually more beneficial than not, but if past discussions are any indication, people don't particularly care about the plight of the whales and they don't want to hear about them being beached. :amv:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:57 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
CorpseGoddess wrote: If you just ignore the category and vote for the video you like, it kind of defeats the purpose of having separate categories, no? We might as well just throw all the year's vids into a giant pigpile and vote based purely on personal taste. But, since we've gone through all the trouble of sifting through which videos best represent the category, whether or not "Every Opening..." is a better video (as opposed to a better parody) is irrelevant to this competition.
But EOEM was obviously a parody, thus fitting into the category. After meeting the basic criteria, how can I not consider the editing/flow/atmosphere as a feature to critique the work with? The whole point of critiquing AMVs for this contest is to see which one better combines the elements of editing to each specific category. It's like with "Best First". Once you knock out the ones that weren't first AMVs, you've got to go by which one was best edited and had the best flow. Parody is a little different, because you also have to ask "which one was the better parody" DAMN IT. Ok, I'll concede the fact that Bonklers should obviously win this one. As much as I openly hate to admit being wrong, you've got a valid and very well argued point.

Although I totally disagree that editing shouldn't be a considered factor. Once you see which degree of how well a parody is done [let's say that there was another really great parody video that obviously fit into this category, on par with Bonklers], then you should obviously go and see which one was better executed in terms of editing.
I have to disagree that EOEM is a parody - it's a list of tropes. And those are two completely different things.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Explain to me in detail how EAOEM isn't a parody.

A parody AMV is [ideally] something created as a means to mock/comment/ridicule the oirigin. Anime openings is the original aspect, and it is mocking the overly used scenes that every anime opening seems to use, showing how unoriginal and repetitive that anime seem to use. It's more or less a "GET OFF YOUR UNCREATIVE LAZY ASSES AND TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR ONCE" sort of thing. Which, in the original context, is what a parody was intended to do. Mock in order to bring about change in the way people think/behave.

A parody AMV doesn't have to parody another AMV for it to be a parody. :P

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:35 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Explain to me in detail how EAOEM isn't a parody.

A parody AMV is [ideally] something created as a means to mock/comment/ridicule the oirigin. Anime openings is the original aspect, and it is mocking the overly used scenes that every anime opening seems to use, showing how unoriginal and repetitive that anime seem to use. It's more or less a "GET OFF YOUR UNCREATIVE LAZY ASSES AND TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR ONCE" sort of thing. Which, in the original context, is what a parody was intended to do. Mock in order to bring about change in the way people think/behave.

A parody AMV doesn't have to parody another AMV for it to be a parody. :P
I guess simply showing me a repetitive list doesn't strike me as parody--or as comedy, either, for that matter. When I watched this video, I didn't laugh, I just enumerated in my head all the examples that were left out.

All this video does is provide a visual laundry list. It says, "Hey look. They use this trope in this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime..."

Explain to me how that's clever, or mocking, or providing any commentary whatsoever.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:42 pm

You guys are free to voice what you consider to be a parody but don't deny others the right. There was an imitation in crossfades vid, it just wasn't portrayed as well because it came more so from the audio of another video source but the original video sources implications are still there. That is to say its a parody, but I didn't consider it the best parody because it comes off more so as a character profile/comedy splice.

If we go by the textbook definition and what a few people say over the majority, I highly doubt there would be enough parodies every year to even have this category or it just wouldn't be worth it IMO.

As I said already, the vast majority has already voted for what they believe to be a parody to the best of their knowledge/choosing. Whether or not you agree/disagree with the results doesn't matter. You didn't take any steps during the preliminary process to voice concerns and are arguing over results. Vote for what is still there that you believe to be the best parody.

IMO If you want to prevent this kind of stuff in the future, you should have clear rulings as to what guidelines each category must have for it to be entered into the specific category. There will still be disagreements but they can be settled beforehand and discussed on a video by video basis before its already too late like it is now.

Lastly, this shit is the reason I hate VCAs.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:47 pm

guess simply showing me a repetitive list doesn't strike me as parody--or as comedy, either, for that matter. When I watched this video, I didn't laugh, I just enumerated in my head all the examples that were left out.

All this video does is provide a visual laundry list. It says, "Hey look. They use this trope in this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime. And this anime..."

Explain to me how that's clever, or mocking, or providing any commentary whatsoever.
How can I explain why something is funny or enjoyable to me? It's completely subjective to the individual person if it was humerous or comical or mocking. To me, Nara wasn't enjoyable, but there are tons of people out there that are finding it to be a work of sentimental/artistic achievement. Does it mean that I'm right and they're wrong, or I'm wrong and they're right? Of course not! It's subjective.

To me, I found it to be a very fun means of showing the ability of the the anime world to be completely unoriginal and/or theifs in terms of the opening videos. The video clearly shows how ridiculously similar that cross-genre works are. All I'm saying is that it clearly fits the definition of a parody. I'm not saying you have to vote for it. I'm just saying it fits the definition of a parody.

For that matter, how was Bonklers funny? Just because it used Azumanga Daioh and exaggerated visual character movement and De:Light used something serious/dramatic? That doesn't make it funny, it makes it more "light hearted".

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:13 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
guess simply showing me a repetitive list doesn't strike me as parody--or as comedy, either, for that matter. When I watched this video, I didn't laugh, I just enumerated in my head all the examples that were left out.

How can I explain why something is funny or enjoyable to me? It's completely subjective to the individual person if it was humerous or comical or mocking. To me, Nara wasn't enjoyable, but there are tons of people out there that are finding it to be a work of sentimental/artistic achievement. Does it mean that I'm right and they're wrong, or I'm wrong and they're right? Of course not! It's subjective.

To me, I found it to be a very fun means of showing the ability of the the anime world to be completely unoriginal and/or theifs in terms of the opening videos. The video clearly shows how ridiculously similar that cross-genre works are. All I'm saying is that it clearly fits the definition of a parody. I'm not saying you have to vote for it. I'm just saying it fits the definition of a parody.

For that matter, how was Bonklers funny? Just because it used Azumanga Daioh and exaggerated visual character movement and De:Light used something serious/dramatic? That doesn't make it funny, it makes it more "light hearted".
Okay, you're right. Before we get into a debate about likes and dislikes and what makes the lulz and what doesn't, we should curb this and go back to my original assertion. Which is that based solely on the fact that my husband is awesome and makes fantastic videos, his is the bestest parody vid in the category and should win and if you don't vote for it you're all poopypants. :awesome:

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 pm

CorpseGoddess wrote: Okay, you're right. Before we get into a debate about likes and dislikes and what makes the lulz and what doesn't, we should curb this and go back to my original assertion. Which is that based solely on the fact that my husband is awesome and makes fantastic videos, his is the bestest parody vid in the category and should win and if you don't vote for it you're all poopypants. :awesome:
Most definitely. Your husband made a fantastic video which SHOULD win. It's hands down the best parody in the category, and does the best job of defining the parody genre. I'm just an ex-literary major that loves to argue the finer details of some of the best aspects of literature and intergrate them into AMVs. More or less, EAOEM was probably one of my more favorite videos of the year, and I just wanted to defend it. xD

Return to “2011 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”