The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

purplepolecat
Org Profile

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Post by purplepolecat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Strictly speaking, a parody is a creative work that imitates certain aspects of a different creative work, for comedic effect. Not to be confused with satire, which is a more general term for a creative work designed to reveal (usually unflattering) aspects of a person, institution, abstract concept etc.

IMO, All Hell Lelouch is satire, not parody. It satirizes Lelouch by highlighting unflattering aspects of his personality. To parody Lelouch, you would have to create your own original anime character with Lelouch-like characteristics, and do something with that.

The South Park Movie (and its soundtrack) is a parody of Broadway musicals in general (new creative work which imitates a different creative work). It is also a satire of American society and foreign policy. Does the fact that the source audio is a parody make the AMV a parody? I don't know. The Exploder Evacuator source audio was parody.

Friend Request, Darkest of Places - funny yes, satire maybe, parody no.

Every Anime Opening comes pretty close - it's blindingly obvious what it's parodying, and it gets the point across while making you laugh. The problem is that for parodies, it is unusual to actually use the source material that you are parodying. That's like trying to parody House, MD by putting together a montage of funny House, MD clips. The only true way to parody anime OPs would be to make one from scratch that contained recognizable elements of existing OPs. The Kujibiki Unbalance OP is a good example.

You can take this analysis with a grain of salt, because I obviously have a vested interest in discrediting all the videos but mine, bwah hah hah. For the record, I think all of the finalists in this category are fantastic and made me laugh my ass off.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:21 pm

purplepolecat wrote:Strictly speaking, a parody is a creative work that imitates certain aspects of a different creative work, for comedic effect. Not to be confused with satire, which is a more general term for a creative work designed to reveal (usually unflattering) aspects of a person, institution, abstract concept etc.

IMO, All Hell Lelouch is satire, not parody. It satirizes Lelouch by highlighting unflattering aspects of his personality. To parody Lelouch, you would have to create your own original anime character with Lelouch-like characteristics, and do something with that.

The South Park Movie (and its soundtrack) is a parody of Broadway musicals in general (new creative work which imitates a different creative work). It is also a satire of American society and foreign policy. Does the fact that the source audio is a parody make the AMV a parody? I don't know. The Exploder Evacuator source audio was parody.

Friend Request, Darkest of Places - funny yes, satire maybe, parody no.

Every Anime Opening comes pretty close - it's blindingly obvious what it's parodying, and it gets the point across while making you laugh. The problem is that for parodies, it is unusual to actually use the source material that you are parodying. That's like trying to parody House, MD by putting together a montage of funny House, MD clips. The only true way to parody anime OPs would be to make one from scratch that contained recognizable elements of existing OPs. The Kujibiki Unbalance OP is a good example.

You can take this analysis with a grain of salt, because I obviously have a vested interest in discrediting all the videos but mine, bwah hah hah. For the record, I think all of the finalists in this category are fantastic and made me laugh my ass off.

Now I completely agree with you on your analysis. Thank you purplepolecat
I have but one question, Is the Southpark Movie soundtrack a parody of musicals? Or is it just a musical? I mean just because it's funny, or a different subject matter than say disney movies doesn't really mean it's a parody of it.

Take a look at musicals like

Evil Dead: the musical. not really a parody
The Toxic Avenger Musical: Again funny, well written, but it's just a means it's not actually trying to be a parody of musicals soundtracks, it just IS a musical's sound track. Something that is required for it to be a musical.

On the other hand,
Avenue Q, you could clearly see being a parody (of seasame street.)
or
Robin Hood: Men in tights.

As for my video: Exploder: Evacuator Part II The audio is clearly a parody, but I'm honestly not sure if I would call it one. I mean I didn't really emulate trailer styles in order to poke fun at them ... I just made a trailer from a parody trailer audio.

Two trailers (not of this year) I would consider parodies
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=169096
This one that's a parody of trailers themselves (it's probably the best example)

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=168622
And this one which is a parody of AMV trailers, specifically Shinkai trailers.

The question we must ask ourselves is,
Is this a contest that finds the best AMV that is in and of itself a parody, or a contest to find the best AMV that used audio that might be a parody

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:I have but one question, Is the Southpark Movie soundtrack a parody of musicals? Or is it just a musical? I mean just because it's funny, or a different subject matter than say disney movies doesn't really mean it's a parody of it.
The entire soundtrack is not, but there are some clear parodies on it. Not all are parodies of musicals, although La Resistance obviously is. Up There is a parody of the general disney song style. Just compare it to the main song of any Disney movie since Aladdin.
The question we must ask ourselves is,
Is this a contest that finds the best AMV that is in and of itself a parody, or a contest to find the best AMV that used audio that might be a parody
This is a contest judged by a bunch of people who will never read this thread, and probably would not understand it if they had.

Personally, I think there is only one real parody nominated in the category, Project Bonklers. It was made to parody a specific video. Perhaps what it's parodying it too limited and unknown to really work, but it is a parody.

Every Anime Opening comes kinda close, but I agree with purplepolecat about it. I don't think it's a parody anymore than a 10 minute mix of Homer yelling 'D'oh' from every Simpons episode would be. It's pointing out common traits through example, nothing more.

All hell Lelouch is not parody. Just because the song was a parody doesn't automatically mean the video is. It also does not parody the anime since it used the actual anime. Parody is emulating the style, not taking the original source and twisting it into something different. At best, it's a mockery (not necessarily in a bad way).

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:01 pm

To: Dr.Dinosaur, godix, and purplepolecat

In my opinion, your views of parody AMVs are just a little too narrow and restricting, but I'll admit that your points are valid. Since AMVs use preexisting audio and video sources, I feel that its ok to be a little more flexible with your definition of parody. By analyzing and applying the standards that you guys individually stated, videos can only be parodies of other videos. Also, in terms of AMVs, in order to be a parody you must either use effects that mimic other videos, or use clips that fit into the category that it is parodying. (like how the anime opening AMV is mimicking every other anime opening that isn't in the video, or how last year "Property of a lady" used effects to mimic James bond openings). Either that, or use a anime that is already parodying something. Forgive me if you feel that I am oversimplifying you viewpoints. And like I said, I don't terribly disagree with you guys, but I think that you could be a little less strict on your meaning of parody.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Oxford English Dictionary wrote: Pronunciation:/ˈparədi/
noun (plural parodies)
*an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect
:the film is a parody of the horror genre
Nah, I think they hit it pretty spot-on.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 pm

You know, that definition just enforces it more-so to me that his vid is a parody. More than likely the people in question have not seen the anime series. Lelouch is a total serious bsns drama queen. By using the audio from south park, C/F was able to exaggerate this to the point of it being humorous and making fun of lelouch's personality/character. It is a fact that this song would not work with just any anime character. Sad part is I'm guessing you haven't even watched the anime and said that.

He even explains it in his vid explanation:
"Code Geass was a great title. I don't doubt that. But there was something about Lelouch character that always bugged me. Sometimes I felt his character is over pathetic, just like his body movements. It just meant one thing. Parody time."

I'm not just defending him because he's in my studio, I'm serious.

I'd actually vote for bonklers assuming I was participating because I honestly believe its a better parody (no offence C/F :P ), pointless arguing about what is and isn't after the vast majority has already selected is just annoying and I'm sure none of the editors of the videos in question appreciate it especially during the VCA's.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Every Opening Ever Made is getting my vote in this category. When it comes down to it, Bonklers was the better PARODY, but I just don't feel like its the better video. It did a great job of mimicking De:Light, I just felt like there wasn't a whole package there. I really can't explain it. It's just how I feel it as a viewer. That's just my personal opinion as a viewer. EOEM was extremely well put together, and had fantastic elements to it and a great flow/feel.

Also, I'd agree that All Hell Lelouch is most definitely a parody, just not on the same level of "quality" as the other parodies when you compare them. All Hell Lelouch was a fantastic video. It's just not a fantastic PARODY video.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 pm

EvaFan wrote:You know, that definition just enforces it more-so to me that his vid is a parody. More than likely the people in question have not seen the anime series. Lelouch is a total serious bsns drama queen. By using the audio from south park, C/F was able to exaggerate this to the point of it being humorous and making fun of lelouch's personality/character. It is a fact that this song would not work with just any anime character. Sad part is I'm guessing you haven't even watched the anime and said that.
But it's not imitating anything.
You said it yourself it IS Lelouch.

And once again, I must reiterate that I absolutely love this video, and many people seem to agree, I'm sure Cross/Fade does not mind all this adoration for his video.

I just don't think it's a parody.

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:10 am

CodeZTM wrote:Every Opening Ever Made is getting my vote in this category. When it comes down to it, Bonklers was the better PARODY, but I just don't feel like its the better video. It did a great job of mimicking De:Light, I just felt like there wasn't a whole package there. I really can't explain it. It's just how I feel it as a viewer. That's just my personal opinion as a viewer. EOEM was extremely well put together, and had fantastic elements to it and a great flow/feel.

Also, I'd agree that All Hell Lelouch is most definitely a parody, just not on the same level of "quality" as the other parodies when you compare them. All Hell Lelouch was a fantastic video. It's just not a fantastic PARODY video.
Full disclosure: Purplepolecat is my husband. That being said, I'm still an opinionated biotch and have made this argument in the past when his stuff wasn't in the running.

All the videos in the category are great, but if you go by the definition, his video is the only parody video.

If you just ignore the category and vote for the video you like, it kind of defeats the purpose of having separate categories, no? We might as well just throw all the year's vids into a giant pigpile and vote based purely on personal taste. But, since we've gone through all the trouble of sifting through which videos best represent the category, whether or not "Every Opening..." is a better video (as opposed to a better parody) is irrelevant to this competition.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:25 am

CorpseGoddess wrote:
CodeZTM wrote:Every Opening Ever Made is getting my vote in this category. When it comes down to it, Bonklers was the better PARODY, but I just don't feel like its the better video. It did a great job of mimicking De:Light, I just felt like there wasn't a whole package there. I really can't explain it. It's just how I feel it as a viewer. That's just my personal opinion as a viewer. EOEM was extremely well put together, and had fantastic elements to it and a great flow/feel.

Full disclosure: Purplepolecat is my husband. That being said, I'm still an opinionated biotch and have made this argument in the past when his stuff wasn't in the running.

All the videos in the category are great, but if you go by the definition, his video is the only parody video.

If you just ignore the category and vote for the video you like, it kind of defeats the purpose of having separate categories, no? We might as well just throw all the year's vids into a giant pigpile and vote based purely on personal taste. But, since we've gone through all the trouble of sifting through which videos best represent the category, whether or not "Every Opening..." is a better video (as opposed to a better parody) is irrelevant to this competition.
Surprisingly, I agree with everything she just said. Although the facebook vid comes close enough to parody I won't go 'WTF' if it wins. But voting for a video that you KNOW does not belong in it's category is as WTF as Nostro for most improved or godix for most helpful.

Return to “2011 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”