Development VM available

trythil
is
Org Profile

Development VM available

Post by trythil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 am

Hi,

For those who'd like to run the new .org codebase, I've set up a virtual machine for doing just that. You can get it here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/amvorg-catalog ... onment.ova (1.9 GB)

VirtualBox 4.2.x is recommended. If you get it working with other VM hosts, please post here about your success. The VM runs Xubuntu 12.10.

The default username/password on the VM is developer / developer.

Once up and running, you'll want to run a few extra commands to get your environment properly configured.

First, install the VirtualBox Guest Additions by clicking Machine > Install Guest Additions. You'll see a CD icon on the desktop appear. Next, open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

cd /media/developer
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Then reboot. If VirtualBox Guest Additions was successfully installed, you should be able to control the VM's desktop resolution by resizing the window.

Once back up and running, open a terminal and run

git config --global user.name 'Your Name'
git config --global user.email 'your-email@example.org'
git config --global color.ui true
Finally, bring the codebase up to date. Open a terminal and run

cd ~/catalog
git fetch
git merge origin/master
To run the application, open a terminal and run

cd ~/catalog
git fetch
git merge origin/master
rails s
To run the tests, open a terminal and run

cd ~/catalog
RAILS_ENV=test rake
Some VM notes:
  • The VM is configured with miredo, which is an implementation of the Teredo IPv6 tunneling protocol. I installed this with the intention of permitting developers to test site-to-site replication. It works for me, but I've noticed that sometimes the Miredo tunnel doesn't start.
  • The VM ships with IPv4 and IPv6 firewall rules that block most incoming connections. If you know iptables and ip6tables syntax, you can adjust them -- for example, if you want to access the application from a browser on the host machine. If you wish to save your updated rules, run iptables-save > /etc/iptables.rules and ip6tables-save > /etc/ip6tables.rules.
  • You may want to use an editor on the host machine to do your work in. VirtualBox permits sharing folders from the guest to the host. I haven't personally done this; see the VirtualBox manual for details.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: Development VM available

Post by trythil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:51 am

The commands given above to run the application are incorrect. You do not need to update your source tree; just

cd ~/catalog
rails s
is sufficient.

Return to “Org Redesign”