Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Post by kiarrens » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:38 pm

irriadin wrote: As far as different attributes... a popular CMS for torrent tracker communities (Gazelle) typically has six search boxes each with a different parameter, but I'm "so-so" on that design choice so far as effective layout is concerned.
Hm... what about small radio buttons under the search box, like TPB does? Search by: Video Title, Anime Title, Audio Artist, Editor Name? Still simple, but allows for a little more flexibility.
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:50 pm

kiarrens wrote:
irriadin wrote: As far as different attributes... a popular CMS for torrent tracker communities (Gazelle) typically has six search boxes each with a different parameter, but I'm "so-so" on that design choice so far as effective layout is concerned.
Hm... what about small radio buttons under the search box, like TPB does? Search by: Video Title, Anime Title, Audio Artist, Editor Name? Still simple, but allows for a little more flexibility.
That could work, but I feel like that's not a perfect solution either. The best thing might be to keep it as-is with an all-inclusive search (for editors, anime, song, etc) and then break-down the search results based on what returns a hit. That would provide the best user experience, I think.

xnamkcor
Org Profile

Post by xnamkcor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:18 pm

irriadin wrote:
kiarrens wrote:
That could work, but I feel like that's not a perfect solution either. The best thing might be to keep it as-is with an all-inclusive search (for editors, anime, song, etc) and then break-down the search results based on what returns a hit. That would provide the best user experience, I think.
Or make that the default radial and have more specific options available.
WE DRAMATIZE IT COMPLETELY!

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 am

I don't really care for it.
Looks and feels too "corporate" and sterile.
Been here for several years and haven't seen much need for changing the site.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:24 am

Deuce Loosely wrote:I strongly dislike it
Looks and feels too "corporate" and sterile.
Been here for several years and haven't seen much need for changing the site.
Fixed and x2.

I always thought the current website design was great and easy to navigate.
If there's anything that could need a change it would be the uploading-system which is probably very confusing to new members.

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:28 am

Eh, the Org is one of the first online communities I partook in, and I kinda realized this was coming. I did cringe a little when I seen it was getting a complete overhaul, probably thanks to the rose tinted nostalgia glasses from when I first joined, however, I got over it since this is something that is needed (actually reading some the threads and links did help too). So, I'm fine with whatever changes as long as I can still upload and download me some AMVs.
Under Construction

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:00 am

I am not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but the search box touches the top of the window right now, could it be lowered a bit? I know it's a design feature, but it's fairly tough to work with it right now (I always click into the address bar. Or on my Rikaichan extension when clicking login >.>). W7, Chrome 21.0.1180.79 m - if you need that.

The "invisible" text fields with placeholders could use some "activity" highlight. The placeholder functionality (disappears only after first letter typed in, which is still new for many users who meet HTML5 for the first time) and the fact that nothing but a blinking cursor appears in the field could mislead many users into believing it's broken and they can't write there at all.

I suppose this is planned feature - check the data submitted in the New Video entry.

Also... a.tagit-close {cursor: pointer;} (or something like that), pretty please? ^^

Will look at it some more later on~

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Logged out to see how the main page looks to a complete stranger...

I think the empty space on the left-hand side could do with more video previews. How difficult would it be to keep a pool of videos from the last couple of years and have some of them come up in a column? I'm thinking of something like the 'related videos' option you get after watching a Youtube video, but you'd be able to flip between selections at will.

They'd be pretty small, but I'd assume by now that people would be used to looking at tiny thumbnails.

Return to “Org Redesign”