[beta.a-m-v.org] Hey, we're semi-official

Taite
Org Profile

Re: [beta.a-m-v.org] Hey, we're semi-official

Post by Taite » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:33 am

Pwolf wrote:
Taite wrote:But If you put up a thread like this and ask for feedback, then you're going to get it, and that's where the mistake came in. The site is in such an early stage of development in my opinion, there's no way for any helpful feedback. People see the site as it is and they freak out because there's so much left undone that they start criticizing everything. Big mistake imo. :?
Well, to be fair, he never asked for feedback, he only posted the link and told us what was working and what is being done in the future.
Oh. True enough. Seems most people's response was to give feedback though, and I don't think he was objected to that at all. But if you're objective is just to show people what's being done, idk what kind of response he wanted. "Cool, keep it up?" Makes this thread kind of useless, especially with all the banter going on that doesn't help push things forward at all.
Image Image

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Just for the record, I liked the little thing pwolf did with the banner as a suggestion.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Taite: If we ever meet, I'll buy you an ice cream :3 Remind me, okay?

Btw, I don't really like silver designs, or grey/white... but guess everyone has their opinion on that~

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Taite wrote:
Pwolf wrote:
Taite wrote:But If you put up a thread like this and ask for feedback, then you're going to get it, and that's where the mistake came in. The site is in such an early stage of development in my opinion, there's no way for any helpful feedback. People see the site as it is and they freak out because there's so much left undone that they start criticizing everything. Big mistake imo. :?
Well, to be fair, he never asked for feedback, he only posted the link and told us what was working and what is being done in the future.
Oh. True enough. Seems most people's response was to give feedback though, and I don't think he was objected to that at all. But if you're objective is just to show people what's being done, idk what kind of response he wanted. "Cool, keep it up?" Makes this thread kind of useless, especially with all the banter going on that doesn't help push things forward at all.

Well, the majority of people who have been pushing to get this redesign done were originally upset because they were always told "It's being done behind closed doors" and they'd never see something come from it. It's annoying to be left in the dark and have someone tell you "Don't worry. We're working on it ;)" and then have nothing happen.

Since David is actually doing something, he figured he'd try to keep everyone in the loop.

Not only that but it's a chance to get people excited about the org again. I've lost track of times (even within this past week) where someone says "I hope it's fixed with the redesign. That is, if the redesign ever happens."

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Well, the majority of people who have been pushing to get this redesign done were originally upset because they were always told "It's being done behind closed doors" and they'd never see something come from it. It's annoying to be left in the dark and have someone tell you "Don't worry. We're working on it ;)" and then have nothing happen.

Since David is actually doing something, he figured he'd try to keep everyone in the loop.

Not only that but it's a chance to get people excited about the org again. I've lost track of times (even within this past week) where someone says "I hope it's fixed with the redesign. That is, if the redesign ever happens."
Ahh, I see. I only learned of this whole redesign thing a week ago, so I don't know how long it's been in the talks for. Personally, I prefer the professionals to go and do their work, then show us a semi-finished project, where it can then be criticized for final touches, but I can also appreciate trying to keep everyone involved. Oh well, at least it looks like we've got someone serious working on it, so I'm sure in the end all will be fine and dandy. (:
Nya-chan Production wrote:Taite: If we ever meet, I'll buy you an ice cream :3 Remind me, okay?

Btw, I don't really like silver designs, or grey/white... but guess everyone has their opinion on that~
I like ice cream :nose:
Image Image

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:46 am

Im glad im not the only one who thinks polls are great for community development and feedback. Its a shame this site rarely uses them. Actually I think the only time I've seen them used was when we were deciding how animes would be listed in the catalog, naming wise.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Kaream
Org Profile

Post by Kaream » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:17 am

Pwolf wrote:
Pwolf wrote:
Kaream wrote:I also believe you will be keeping the random Banner feature correct?
The banner feature in it's current state, probably not but using the new banner/video system David has in his version of the site could be used for other content other than just a new video. I have an idea how to make it work and will do some mock ups when I get back from work.

It's rough (and goes by fast and doesn't have to go from right to left, this can be changed so don't complain about it for the love of god) but it gets the point across... basically the home page banner would cycle through different featured videos and between them a user created banner would show:

http://www.pwolfamv.com/other/featured_ ... _baner.mp4

Personally, I think the user-created banners are a good thing for the site and would like to find a way to use them or at do something similar. My idea expands on the existing system by providing much more real estate for people to work with but also utilizes the current design layout. That said, something like this isn't important at this time.

Either way, this is an example of how you can provide feedback and suggestions without actually doing any code.

Not bad, just needs to be more polished like you said.

Here's my idea that I mentioned earlier: http://organicsearchrankings.net/wp-con ... mepage.png

This method of showing videos is much more efficient since you can display 5 videos at a time that constantly change.

Here's a website I found with that script: http://youthtoob.com/

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:24 am

EvaFan wrote:Im glad im not the only one who thinks polls are great for community development and feedback. Its a shame this site rarely uses them. Actually I think the only time I've seen them used was when we were deciding how animes would be listed in the catalog, naming wise.

Polls are awesome.

According to Vlad they're a pain to get working though :/ Even as a mod I don't have the power to create polls T_T I would have ALL THE POLLS if I could...

xnamkcor
Org Profile

Post by xnamkcor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:58 am

Pwolf wrote:
"I didn't ask for this"

PS: He posted something for people to see on a Forum. Does he know what "forum" means?
WE DRAMATIZE IT COMPLETELY!

I Fight For The Users
Org Profile

Ugh.

Post by I Fight For The Users » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:02 am

CodeZTM wrote: I'm feeling the same way with the opinion system and the current design philosophy, and I quite literally feel rather helpless about it.
If you conveniently ignore this thread, everything you said is absolutely correct.

Also.

Keep this in mind the next time you talk about "design". The former is not the latter, and the former is not even purely visual.

Return to “Org Redesign”