[amv.ninjawedding.org] Typographic revamp

I Fight For The Users
Org Profile

[amv.ninjawedding.org] Typographic revamp

Post by I Fight For The Users » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:54 am

Hi,

AisuzuZwei and I have rethought the typography and layout of the video profile pages. Here are some examples:

http://amv.ninjawedding.org/~jasper-isi ... d%20flames
http://amv.ninjawedding.org/~ileia/rah%20hey%21
http://amv.ninjawedding.org/~zarxrax/58008 (mildly NSFW)

Other examples can be found via the "Random video" link. The comment sections were imported as-is from a-m-v.org, so they will need some work. The deletion notices and character encodings in particular need to be fixed.

The last example is intended to demonstrate that very long lists don't break the layout; all they do is stretch it. In the future I'll be adding Javascript-based collapse code to keep the layout manageable by default. (People who don't want it will of course be able to turn it off.)

Brad
Org Profile

Re: [amv.ninjawedding.org] Typographic revamp

Post by Brad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:22 am

I am quite happy with the change to all caps on the title. Overall, a very nice, crisp looking layout. One suggestion. For videos that have a source list of 5+, give us a "Show All" link below them, that when clicked, twirls down the rest of the sources (without reloading the page. I'm sure this can be achieved with some HTML5 finesse). I assume the current poster frames are being pulled directly from the video currently? Would it be possible to give people the option to upload their own image? Similar to how Vimeo (and possibly YouTube. Not entirely sure) allows you to add your own uploaded poster frame.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:27 am

Brad wrote: I assume the current poster frames are being pulled directly from the video currently? Would it be possible to give people the option to upload their own image? Similar to how Vimeo (and possibly YouTube. Not entirely sure) allows you to add your own uploaded poster frame.
After you select "Edit Video Information", that becomes an option at the top.

I Fight For The Users
Org Profile

Post by I Fight For The Users » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:30 am

Brad wrote:For videos that have a source list of 5+, give us a "Show All" link below them, that when clicked, twirls down the rest of the sources (without reloading the page. I'm sure this can be achieved with some HTML5 finesse).
Yeah, that's in the works. I think it'll have to be done on page load -- the best way I can think of involves comparing heights of the main section and aside, which requires that the page actually be rendered. I'm not sure what the effects of that will be.
Brad wrote:I assume the current poster frames are being pulled directly from the video currently? Would it be possible to give people the option to upload their own image? Similar to how Vimeo (and possibly YouTube. Not entirely sure) allows you to add your own uploaded poster frame.
Yep. Actually, the poster frames / cover images were uploaded via that exact method:

http://amv.ninjawedding.org/videos/7c6b ... c11qk/edit

There's still some work to be done there. The position input, for example, is very primitive; I put it in there for ease of testing and speed of development. (If you'd like to play with it, the position input accepts the same syntax as the CSS background-position property.) A more polished solution will permit stuff like drag-to-position, which is what e.g. Facebook does.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:12 am

I don't see a super-obvious link to the homepage, but other than that it looks good. :up:

I Fight For The Users
Org Profile

Post by I Fight For The Users » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:17 am

Audio sources are also grouped:

http://amv.ninjawedding.org/videos/cstd ... q45skogc7p
Warlike Swans wrote:I don't see a super-obvious link to the homepage, but other than that it looks good.
The current .org doesn't really have one either. :P (Clicking the logo takes you to the forum. The "main page" link takes you to the main page, but that's only obvious once it's learned.)

That said, there will be a globally available "get back to your dashboard" link, which will probably take the form of a logo.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:23 am

I Fight For The Users wrote:Clicking the logo takes you to the forum.
It's actually a warp pipe (like in mario!) so if you click the logo in the forum, you'll go back to the site's members main page (which means it'll prompt you to login into the main site if you aren't logged in already).

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am

I am soooo excited for when this finally goes live.

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by aesling » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Looks awesome!
:ying:

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 pm

ZOMG. Suh-weeeeeeet.