The Org Redesign - New Features and/or Function...

EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - New Features and/or Function...

Post by EvaFan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:48 am

Could do a "AMV of the day" on the front page, it would be randomly generated. Kind of like the spotlight except it doesn't only show the ones that are highly rated.

or on a larger scale AMVs of the week with 5-10 or so.

It's not a perfect solution but I'd probably end up giving them a preview at the very least. Might even find something I really like and wouldn't have found otherwise.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:52 am

Corran wrote:
dj_ultima_the_great wrote:
JCD wrote:Un-related, but on-topic, one thing that desperately needs to go is mandatory star ratings. Giving out star ratings after 10 downloads just keeps me from downloading an AMV here but instead watching it on YT sooo often. To people who bitch about not getting any feedback otherwise: Just make your videos suck less. If the new design will make the QC and star options more prominent, they will get used more often automatically.
Wow, way to be elitist there. All videos deserve feedback, not just the good ones, and it's arrogant to think otherwise.

I'm bothered by the couple of occasions that I've seen in these threads where editors have suggested promoting our "bestsellers" (like getting rid of New Vid on the Block in favor of advertising the highest rated recent videos, for example) instead of focusing on the site content as a whole. This isn't a masterpiece gallery. Get out of that mindset before we turn even more people away from our hobby.
I don't believe that certain videos deserve feedback more than others and am inclined to think JCD doesn't think this either. If a video is popular due to being considered "good" among a large swath of people, receiving favorable reception at a convention, or otherwise having the attention of large subset of users then it seems reasonable to expect that the video will garner more feedback than a video few people are aware of.
Hehe, I knew this could be misunderstood. My point on the bolded sentence was entirely focused on star ratings. There is hardly anything constructive about a video getting low star ratings, they are essentially saying the same thing. I can see the idea behind mandatory star ratings, to enforce feedback for videos which would otherwise not get any, but I fail to see how exactly that feedback is helpful to the creator in any way. If anything, low star ratings might be more discouraging than no feedback.

QC's (and opinions too) are already optional and a good way of giving quick, constructive feedback, their use should be enouraged (but by no means mandatory), and I use it whenever possible.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 am

To be fair, that same sentiment holds true for well written and constructive feedback as well. After you hear it a few times, hearing it again isn't really helpful either. That being the case, the role of the star scale system is to benefit the viewer - to let him know what the community has deemed 'worth his time' if he wishes to take the community's advice on such matters.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Personally, I'd rather see a like/dislike button rather then a star scale. Even if it was mandatory I wouldn't actually mind too much simply clicking one button of either like or dislike. Though I'd rather have the threshold larger. For me, I'm a kind of archiver when it comes to videos and like to download large groups of videos (sometimes into the 100s at once) and just sit down and watch them all in one large stint. Having to actively mark down a star every 10 or so just so I can keep DL'ing my batches gets rather annoying. I would prefer a non-mandatory system though.

Really, if the star scale is our there to help the viewer, just a simple scale of how many likes vs how many dislikes would be easier to understand. Heck, if you wanted to get fancy to can have a rating that is calculated based on likes/dislikes and total views. Not sure exactly how the math would work out, but essentially a (unique) view would then expect the viewer to vote like or dislike. If the viewer doesn't vote it's counted as neutral vote. If the viewer goes back later and marks like then that unique view becomes a like and the rating changes since the ratio changes.
ImageImageImageImage

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:42 pm

ngsilver wrote:Personally, I'd rather see a like/dislike button.
:up: 5035
:down: 346

344 Justin bieber fans (vote up to agree) 273

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 am

ngsilver wrote:Personally, I'd rather see a like/dislike button rather then a star scale.
I don't like or dislike most videos. I don't give a fuck about most videos, even after watching them. ESPECIALLY after watching them. The problem with like/dislike is that there is no 'go the fuck away, I've already forgotten the video you talentless hack' option.

Although I suppose I could only like videos that were worth keeping, but someone '3285 dislike, 4 like' doesn't seem exactly the sort of rating system the org should be encouraging.

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:13 am

godix wrote:
ngsilver wrote:Personally, I'd rather see a like/dislike button rather then a star scale.
I don't like or dislike most videos. I don't give a fuck about most videos, even after watching them. ESPECIALLY after watching them. The problem with like/dislike is that there is no 'go the fuck away, I've already forgotten the video you talentless hack' option.

Although I suppose I could only like videos that were worth keeping, but someone '3285 dislike, 4 like' doesn't seem exactly the sort of rating system the org should be encouraging.
honestly I hate the like and dislike feature of youtube. It gives a lot less feedback on the video and a lot of the time I don't feel comfortable liking a video if I think if it's an alright video because if I select dislike, it makes it seem like the video is terrible or something.

I think the Like and Dislike system is completely different than a star system and implies something else about the video. A star system can comment on the quality of the video whereas Like/Dislike system only says that you like it or not.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Keep in mind that by watching a video and not leaving a rating, that alone could be useful information.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:49 am

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Keep in mind that by watching a video and not leaving a rating, that alone could be useful information.
Yes, but users can vote for a video only once, but can preview (and download) it as many times as they want...
I'm honestly for keeping the stars as they are now. Perhaps changing something about them, but the x stars out of 5 is good, imho.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm

I also don't like the "like/dislike" options (or "yay/boo" as they do in little big planet 2) the reason for this being that I'm neutral on a lot of videos (and levels for that matter) and how am I to express that the video is just "ok"? if we were to go in the "like/dislike" option I'd like a neutral option as well.

Speaking of "achievements" I'm sure that's how they get more people to rate in lbp2, considering you get trophies and pins for rating levels... however this gets annoying if you have a neutral opinion on a level.. you want to rate, but you neither like nor dislike it.

Return to “Org Redesign”